1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Time to get a new computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AlmostAlive, Apr 9, 2005.

1. frenchfrog

frenchfrog The mighty batrachian

Ok, another reason to go AMD is to be 64 bit ready and the new batch of AMD processor run cooler than the lastest batch of Intel (yea I know, it always been the reverse situation in the past).

Intel just realeased their 64 bit (Pentium 600) to the market but normally only 1-tiers manufacturer (aka Dell) get them for the first couple of months but I guess you would probably be able to get one from the web for 200 USD more than your Pentium 560 (aka 3.6 Ghz).

Also if you decide to go Intel I would probably choose another board (the 915 chipset is the cheap one and the 925 is the upper hand one). Check this link (your board ~Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe (DDR-400))

I probably also invest in better ram rather then some generic one, to have better timings.

For the video card, I know you want the best but the 6800GT is not that bad and it would cost you 200 USD less.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  2. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

From what I've heard, both those speakers are for people who like loud over sound.

Check the FSB speed on that processor, I think it is faster than the PC3200 RAM.

3. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Seconded on the 2 gigs of ram. You never know when enough is enough. ;)

4. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

Yeah, 2 gb of RAM sounds good. Will add that to the list. Corsair, as someone suggested to me. I'm still very much undecided on the processor issue though. As for the motherboard, I'll probably call the shop when I place the order and tell them to pick one that's on the top shelf, with the features mentioned here earlier.

Getting a computer is always a big deal for me. I never really bother to keep track on what's New&Hot and so I usually find myself trusting what others tell me. Which is why I'm so glad I have you guys to guide me :D

5. PadreScout

PadreScout New Member

If your interested the BFGTech 6800GT has near identicle performance for about 100 bucks cheaper. In a few instances the ultra cards beat it out by a few FPS but for the most part they're very comprable performance. Just an idea if your interested in saving a little cash.

6. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

If you can't decide maybe a political decision is the right way to go. :D Intel has a huge market share compared to AMD. More competition is better so it makes sense to rub the underdog's back. :)

(VIA is also an option but not for gamers.)

7. PadreScout

PadreScout New Member

LCDs are getting better and better. It's my understanding if you spend like 3,000 you can get LCDs that are just as fast, larger/faster/better than most CRTs but I'd recommend you stick with a CRT for another few years. I bet if you shopped around you could find a right nice LCD but rule of thumb CRTs better for gaming still.

Speakers! I too use my PC speakers for oh... everything. I'd like to recommend a set to you if I could: Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers. I know they're not surround but they are very very solid all around speakers. They work for gaming. Music and movies? Well, lets put it this way they're THX certified and run at 300 watts RMS (600 peak) for 150 bucks at a retail store they're very excellent.

Sound cards: well, I've always used SoundBlaster and I currently run an Audigy 2 ZS gamer. I like it alright. Nice sound. I mean, come on, it's a sound card. It makes noise and that noise is clear and in line with the noise I think it should be making so I guess its great. I have heard some guys saying they have driver problems with the Creative Labs cards. I've never had this problem personally, but I understand its out there and really pissing some folks off.

Cooling: Let me discourage you from getting sucked into the bigger better more mind set. Airflow is like a car exhaust. Theres a measured system to it and if you go mucking about with it without a notion of what your doing youll end up with something loud and obnoxious that doesnt perform as well as it did before you started mucking around with it.
    If you need a proccy heatsink I'd recommend an OEM. They're typically quiet, cool well when running in stock settings. not bad deals. I know some people claim they do not cool adequatly, but come on. They are made by the people that made the chip they cool. They know what they are doing.
    If you insist on an aftermarket heatsink fan: Please consider the XP-90 by thermalright. It is a little large but will easily fit in any mid tower case. Is a bargain at 40 bucks and cools VERY VERY VERY effeciently. Its lightwieght ( aluminum) So you don't have to risk breaking your slot off your mobo if you knock your case over or drop it unlike some of the larger all copper heatsinks ( yes this happens a lot)

Case cooling you should consider that you want to suck out as much air as you draw in. To achieve this simply look at the CFM of the fans you plan to use for intake and exaust. Do not forget to incluse your power supply with these numbers. A side blowhole directly onto your video/sound can be a good idea, but sometimes this can disrupt the air circulation for rest of machine depending on the actual design of your case. Poor case circulation can lead to headaches like overheating harddrives (which typicallys isnt bad exept they wear out faster when hot). So always be mindful of the design of your cooling system. After all, some very smart fellow was paid a fair amount to come up with something that should work effeciently in it own right.

Hope something in there was helpful. If I repeated anything anyone else said my appologies. Like I've said before though, it never hurts to reinterate good points. Good luck with your new machine and lemme know how it turns out.

8. AlmostAlive

Thanks, Padrescout. I'll take your points into consideration. The issue here isn't the money though. I'm in a position to get more or less what I want, which means my priority isn't good deals, but rather the best possible configuration for performance. Without totally flipping out. I'm going to check out the speakers you suggested. They are a definate candidate if they play more nice than loud.

Also, I'm not going to do the balancing act on the knife's edge when it comes to cooling. Your points on cooling makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure I'm going to just trust an OEM fan and leave it with that. I tried that a few years ago and ended up having to return the computer twice in a row for repairs and replacement of fried hardware.

9. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

Another thing that can cause fried hardware that's kind of a silent killer is what my friend calls "dirty power". It's common in older houses or apartment complexes where the electrical stuff isn't up to snuff. Power strips will do a good job of helping to eliminate spikes, but can't do anything about minor drops. It's sorta like high blood pressure... Usually you can't even tell that there's a minor fluctuation in the power, but it puts a strain on all the stuff in your home espically high end or oc'd pc's where an unsteady voltage just wears out all those nice delicate, and expensive electronics.

Anyway if your not concerned with money, and the thought of replacing fried stuff spooks you then ya might wanna consider a UPS if you don't already own one.

10. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

My $20 surplus power supply detected a power surge due to an electrical storm and shut itself off for 40 minutes. My $100 UPS exploded.

11. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

You should have had your surge protector in front of your UPS, then both would survive :)

12. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

The UPS was supposed to BE a surge protector. And a switching transient protector. And a harmonic distortion protector, and a brownout protector, and a frequency variation protector.

The $20 power supply survived, it survived very well.

13. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

that'l learn ya not to buy the ones that say "made with 100% bamboo"

14. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Deja vu anyone? Seems like we've discussed this before. I've bought 3 second-hand UPSes and they're all fine no problems through a number of blackouts. If you do buy a UPS go for a good brand such as Belkin, APC etc..

An alternative Almost, if you're not bothered cash-wise, is to buy a complete system from someone like Hypersonic, Alienware or Falcon NW. I know Hypersonic do international shipping and Alienware probably do, not sure about Falcon, but it'll save you the hassle of having to find all the right parts and put it together, and give you a better warranty as well.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  15. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

Yeah, go ahead and get that SLI mobo. After you stick in those two $500 video adapters dissipating 600 watts each, don't whine about your $1,000,000 utility bill each month.
    :lol:

16. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

You never ever ever exaggerate do you?
    :p

17. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

I'm a fan of the hyperbole.

18. AlmostAlive

Fact of the matter is that I use my current computer as a source for a decent temperature in the room where it's in. Leaving it on 24/7 ensures a steady 22 C. In fact, it's the only thing I use to keep the home office warm. It gets too hot leaving it on during summer though.

19. AlmostAlive

I'm sorry to drag this thread back on the front page, but it looks like I'm getting just about ready to click the "buy"-button and so a few more questions arise.

First, here's what I've arrived at :

DVD burner, soundcard and speakers, monitor, cabinet and keyboard has "already" been decided upon, including the Logitech MX518 mouse. Oh, and everything is PCI.

I'm still doubtfull about wether or not to get a SLI config with two 6800GT's. Does it improve speed and graphics in a way that would be noticeable? Allthough Tom's hardware guide says it doesn't, I'd like to hear from someone with experience with it beyond just benchmarks.

And finally, the motherboard. Is it a bottleneck? If so, what should I get instead?

Comments on this and the other things on the above list would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2005
  20. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Well if you want the best performance and if money isn't a problem, i say buy the most expensive of everything, you can't go wrong that way. And after you do that, don't mention it ever again on public forums.
    Seriously i think you have a pretty good rig as it is. But why not a 512mb video card ?