1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[thread split] Helpful answers vs. elitism

Discussion in 'Programming' started by S8NSSON, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Kaligraphic

Kaligraphic Charles leChaud is my hero

I actually tend to learn this kind of thing by tracing through existing code. So if I need help with something, I find it most useful to ask for an example of how something is done. (i.e. I learned how traces were handled by combing through the weapon code) This kind of learning means that, for me at least, the most helpful kind of answer tends to be the locations of other classes that use similar functions or treat data in similar ways. (If I wanted to learn how to, say, make an effect show up somewhere, the shockrifle code would teach me more about spawning things than a simple explanation)

2. Dryn

Dryn New Member

Another good point, though more in the view of a propper learning habit than the 'silver platter' solutions to every question. Basically, there are only sooo many different ways to do something, all the more so in an engine like this; if you're clever, you should be able to take what you need from what is there, and perhaps couple that with a note or two from the 'forum. If you can't do this, then either the task is too complex, impossible, or your too lazy to deserve any help in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  3. JamesKilton

JamesKilton UA Coder

Dude. This thread has been dead for 2 months now, leave it alone! I don't know who brought it back, or why, but let's just let this one go.

4. Kaligraphic

Kaligraphic Charles leChaud is my hero

I would think this would be obvious. Dark.