1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

This'll be fun for all! . . . MAC or PC? G4 or P4?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mateo21, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Kibbles-N-Bits

Kibbles-N-Bits New Member

There is ONE... ONE reason... just ONE for me to get a Mac...

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/

They make some of the BEST games I have EVER played... but they only dev them for Macs... no ports to PC :(

2. Chow Yun-Fat

Chow Yun-Fat W3RD UP

Intel.. *scoff*

3. ElectricSheep

ElectricSheep Tommy Vegas

You know, i'm thinking that, for posterity's sake, someone should record the average periodicity of this debate...

Every month? Every two months?

4. Chow Yun-Fat

Chow Yun-Fat W3RD UP

i think its every other week at this point

5. TheChronoTrigger

TheChronoTrigger [UMC]FrozenFlame

I'd just like to say that OS X has never, repeat NEVER EVER crashed on me since I got the public beta last september, now I'm in version 10.1 and I'm still crash free, and Mac OS X can run UNIX apps, I've seen 100's of apps ported to OS X from unix, and please don't try and tell me unix sucks cuz most of the internet is run off unix/linux boxes. The mac platform is changing, it's easier to program for then ever. In fact every copy of OS X includes a set of developer tools. I admit that the old Mac OS had it's problems but now with OS X things are getting much better, more and more games are being ported everyday now, and expect to see more mac only games in the next few years

6. peep

peep peep==class

Chronotrigger, I've been mulling over switching to osx for a long time now. I'm sure most of my apps will work fine, but the all important INF: does that work well under osx? I heard there's a prob with the launcher or something. If there's a reliable fix, I might just do the upgrade. Also, I've heard conflicting reports about system resources required to run it well. I've got a G4 400, 448 mb RAM.

I also heard some really good stuff about XP from my bro that works at MSNBC (of course, he's biased). He said that the stability issues have really been taken care of cause of the win2k code. Anyone using it yet? What's your thoughts? I guess I'll get a copy for the laptop so I can let MS know where I am at all times.;) JK.

Think different, like a $400 mp3 player.

7. chunky

chunky Uni bum

Mac = expensive gay retail
    PC = do it properly yourself for cheap.

Never buy retail (mac or PC), never buy P4. Buy AMD Athlon for performance, quality and value.

8. Kibbles-N-Bits

Kibbles-N-Bits New Member

That's because it won't even boot, right? :)

9. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

:lol:

10. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

And besides, with today's prices, you can buy a older motherboard, like the AsusA7V-133 (I think that' what it is :D) and a cheap AthlonThunderbird for like 150 dollars, and in 6 months upgrade to the latest (and greatest!) AthlonXP...whatver they have out by then, maybe a 2500+ processor. That's what I'm planning for my bro for his birthday/christmas present :D

11. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

I haven't had NT crash in over a year I've got it at work ...
    Win98SE on my own system runs stable & crash-free for over a month too ... :p

12. Klaus Der_Drache

Klaus Der_Drache TTR - Quit

G4 733 DVD Burner Nvidia Geforce3
    nuff said

13. Donnellizer

Donnellizer Fjæsing!

I have a PC and a Mac. The only thing I do on the Mac is play Escape Velocity. :D

14. Klaus Der_Drache

Klaus Der_Drache TTR - Quit

Look if you are going to have a "lack of software" as your criticism for mac... then you should know that it isnt apple's fault software isnt made for it! ;)

Besides you can say anything but everyone who knows computers knows apple's are the best.

BtW - Windows is a complete copy of MacOS. If you dont know that then your ignorance clear

15. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

a copy ? Yeah right, so they use the Windows-metaphore too ...
    Unless you can give me a way to design a GUI that does not involve 'windows', 'icons' & all those other features we take for granted, stop calling Windows a copy of the MacOS ...

anyone who knows computers also knows that being the best doesn't matter if you don't sell it ...
    Almost anything made by M$ sucks, but they do manage to convince 99% of the population to use their stuff despite the shitload of bugs and other 'features' ...

16. Goat Fucker

Goat Fucker No Future!

There are 2 main reasons why MAC's dont sell:

1) Too expensive
    2) Not enough, or too bad software

Weather you like it or not, all the games that actually do get ported to MAC where origionally created for Winblows, so you are allways getting secondgrade software.

But for the most part, thouse heavy pricetags are what keep people from buying them, MAC's are just too damn expensive, you pay twice the price for a 20% upgrade that cant use half the software, unless you had the money to spare anyways (hey spare some, b<b></b>itch!), its not a good buy.

17. erehwoN

erehwoN The Bass Ackwards BTL

.......must not post.......damn

Fine, I'll enter this argument too. If I had my choice, I would always use a Mac. I have one at home, but at college I have an AMD rig. I have grown up with macs. My dad bought the first pc in '82. I have used both Win/Mac a lot. Both have their advantages and corresponding with that, their disadvantages. With every release of Windows, it gets more and more macish. As for games not coming to the mac, there are only about 4 that I wish would have been ported, but weren't. True, there are many more games for Win, but a lot of those games really suck. The ones that do go to mac kick ass. Also, anyone remember Myst or Marathon? Both made specifically for mac at first.;) Bah, I don't feel like typing any more, so I will leave the arguing to the rest of ya. Have a good Saturday night folks.:)

18. ThunderChunky

ThunderChunky L337 Cube H@X0®

LEAVE DEAD THREADS IN PEACE!!! :)

19. SimplyCosmic

SimplyCosmic ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

[​IMG]

My Timex Sinclair 1000 will kick all your Mac and PC loving arses ...

20. Scuddie

Scuddie I am probably better than you.

If you are interested in games and programming, buy a PC. If interested in graphics and desktop publishing, buy a mac. In short, buy a PC.