1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

This'll be fun for all! . . . MAC or PC? G4 or P4?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mateo21, Oct 23, 2001.

1. mateo21

mateo21 New Member

Which one do yall use/prefer? Specs are good too!

2. Mr. HotDog

Mr. HotDog [Insert Text Here]

I know your new, but have you heard of the Off-Topic forum?

Go for the PC

3. Camel_Toe(l)

Camel_Toe(l) Form Fitting

/me wonders when DarkBls will move this thread/:trans:

4. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

Quickly !

*MOVED*

5. striderteen

striderteen New Member

Mac is evil.

Intel is evil.

Long live AMD and the mighty ATHLON THUNDERBIRD!!!

6. Dank

Dank Mac Guru

Behind the PowerPC G4’s phenomenal performance is its aptly named Velocity Engine. The Velocity Engine processes data in huge 128-bit chunks, instead of the smaller 32-bit or 64-bit chunks used in traditional processors (it’s the 128-bit vector processing technology used in scientific supercomputers — except that we’ve added 162 new instructions to speed up computations). In addition, the PowerPC G4 can perform four (in some cases eight) 32-bit floating-point calculations in a single cycle — two to four times faster than processors found in run-of-the-mill PCs.

[​IMG]

The PowerPC G4 with Velocity Engine works with the PowerPC architecture to accelerate the data-intensive processing required by next-generation video, voice and graphics applications. Among the G4 key features is a vector permute function capable of rearranging data in the registers — a priceless benefit when converting data from one format to another (often necessary with voice, video and graphics apps, which typically need to save data in a number of different formats). These vector processing advantages give the PowerPC G4 a significant edge when it comes to visualization. Making the PowerPC G4 perfect for everything from digital video, graphics and 3D games to astronomy, the biosciences and predictive modeling.

[​IMG]

Preemptive multitasking essentially works like a controller that enables the PowerPC G4 to process several different tasks simultaneously. The controller gives priority to your primary applications, while the PowerPC G4 continues to crunch away at other tasks in the background. Mac OS X uses this controller to monitor the processor at all times. The controller prioritizes tasks, makes sure activities are at peak levels, and allocates resources on the fly to ensure that every task has the processing power it needs.

Processor priorities are set according to the importance of each task. If you suddenly decide to check your email or surf the web while you’re in the middle of compressing an MP3 music file, Mac OS X preempts the audio compression task and re-allocates sufficient processor power to comply with your most recent request. Meanwhile, the processor will continue compressing your MP3 music file in the background.

Since applications can no longer tie up the processor exclusively, your system is far more responsive to your requests. No more waiting for a process to complete. Your system performs the actions you want it to perform when you want it to perform them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2001
  7. Mad_Dog

Mad_Dog Voice Of Reason

how much is apple paying you dank?:D:p

8. Dank

Dank Mac Guru

Apple doesn't need to pay me.....it rewards me enough with great hardware and software! :D

9. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

We could debate that... ;) :D

I would go for the PC.. and since its between a G4 :)o) and a P4 :)D), go with the P4.

10. mateo21

mateo21 New Member

G4 Rocks

Oh, I forgot to mention. I have an 867 mhzG4 with 640 m RAm. I was just wondering how the P4 stacks up in FPS's.

11. Tiran Kenja

Tiran Kenja CO of Creepers

Heh. I'm quite happy with my new 2x800Mhz G4 box with a GeForce 3... Now if only UT would work in Mac OS X (yes there is a version out. But it don't work too well on GeForce cards it seems).

12. peep

peep peep==class

M-A-C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why drive a Ford when you could drive a Ferrari? It's all about quality. I'm not saying that there isn't quality PC hardware out there, it's just that the specs are alot tighter on a Mac... kinda like a Ferrari.

I hope I spelled Ferrari correctly.:rolleyes:

13. Kibbles-N-Bits

Kibbles-N-Bits New Member

And guess how much parts for the Ferrari and the gas for it will cost you? Heheeh. Gimme a Ford and I'll use the extra cash for something WORTHWHILE.

14. Dank; still showing of those BS pics from Apple.com...:rolleyes:

Its the inside that counts people...:D
    Mac = Ferrari with ford engine.....

15. Goat Fucker

Goat Fucker No Future!

Let me put it this way, for the same price of a G4 system, i could buildt 2 Tbird 1.2 GHZ systems to my liking, AND still have money left for all thouse nice games i can actually PLAY on them...

Unless Mac's drops drastically in price, and people start actually caring to make games for them, im not touching one with a 50 foot pole, let alone my wallet.

16. [DiE]x8668k

[DiE]x8668k Skilled

Well, I use both, and both are bad at some things, and both are good at some things.

the funny thing I have heard about PC users is that they say they use their PC becouse Mac dont have any games, Mac sucks at games, then they use Linux. :rolleyes:

I use both for games, I use Win XP for INF though, I have to upgrade the Mac first before I can play on it.

17. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

you know if you get Dank to remove the pipe from between his lips he accually has some intellegent things to say :D

I really want a MAC, but I go with PC becasue you can buy a new PC in shifts. HD here, Processor there. with a MAC you have to atleast commit to a system :hmm:

*sigh*
    If I only made more money.

18. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

My personal opinion :
    - Mac's are too damn expensive
    (Intel is too damn expensive, but at least AMD is cheaper and better price/performance)

- they don't have the software I want to run :
    Delphi (or Kylix if I wanted to run Linux)
    Every modern game at least is released here.

- I'd be forced to buy my software at just about the only shop that has Mac-software "Dixons" (need I add stupid/ignorant staff & outdated software at ridiculously high prices and that's just their pc-software ?)
    Compare that to at least 6 shops that sell pc-hardware and at least two wich sell up-to-date software ...

Mac's might be good at heavy duty graphicssoftware and video-editing, but that's stuff I don't do.

// Dankbudz :
    1) At least show a chart that at least compares similar systems.
    Comparing the performance of a dual-processorsystem to a single processor-system is a waste of time.
    Even the fastest AMD has better performance in some areas when compared to an Intel P4 of a higher speed ...
    It's nearly impossible to compare the AMD- & Intel-processors simply because they have a different motherboard.
    I suggest you find a few systems of the same cost. Lets see what is the fastest system then ... (/me thinks an AMD-system will beat both the Intel and the Macintosh of the same price ).
    Comparing them by MHz is useless, because Intel-pc's haven't shown their true clockspeed since the 80486-series.

2) Pre-emptive multitasking is something any real multi-tasking OS can do on it's own. There is no need for hardware-support altough it does make life easier for the programmers.
    IIRC the Intel 80286 already had basic hardware-support for multitasking.
    Windows 9x/Me doesn't do any real pre-emptive multitasking, but Linux, WinNT, Win2k & XP can.

19. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Hehe...this debate again.

I'd say if you're looking for doing any video or graphics, go for a Mac. Sure, you'll only get one mouse button, but that's what you trade in for.

If you want something that runs almost all the time and is a hell of a lot cheaper, go PC route. But stay away from the Intel P4, at least this generation of them. Best Performance/Money: Athlon Thunderbird! With the new AthlonXP released, the T-bird's alot cheaper.

And DB: Where does the Athlon fit in there? Oh that's right, they didn't compare. I wonder why... :D

20. They didnt have Athlon because it is just soo cheap and dirty that Apple thought it would be embarrising to compare it with such a high quality processor(Pentium) :D