there goes the 5.1 sound

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Not sure when it went, but I was playing UT and no sound was coming from my two right speakers (two left and subwoofer are fine). OK, so I thought either both my right Klipsch satellites are shot at the same time or my receiver is toast. Well, it looks like I either have to get the right speaker connections fixed on my Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver or just get a new receiver. I'm using the analog connections off the Audigy2 5.1/6.1 for the 5.1 surround in games as well as using the digital for movies all plugged into my receiver. Any ideas?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, the choices were pretty slim for analog multichannel in connections in the back, so I just ordered the Onkyo TX-SR506 last night. I wanted another brand because I was kinda P.O.'ed that it only lasted 3.5 years, but I have a height limitation. I was going to open it up and mess with the inside, but I decided I'll try that next time.:)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
There's plenty of space on the sides and back and front (all of these are wide open) and it's sitting on the subwoofer (which doesn't even begin to heat up on the top), but on top right now is only 1-inch of space and I don't want it getting any closer to the bottom of the desk. I might try rigging up a fan on the bottom of the desk to blow across the back corner of the receiver toward one of the front corners or something like that. Any ideas on what kind of fan would be best for this? My desk is basically a table with a couple drawers and not a "real" computer desk, but I like it that way.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, so I got the banana plugs yesterday and last night I switched the channels and got 3.1 sound so that there is no sound in the back two channels instead of the right two and it is the correct channels. So, I have the old receiver setup until I get the new one.

The new one arrived today and the bastards sent a 507 instead of the 506, WTF!!!!????

I refused the package and took it back to the UPS store after talking to the customer service dept at TigerDirect (through Amazon.com). I was a little uneasy about ordering from TigerDirect and I guess I should have went with my instincts on this one. Apparently, Amazon had the correct info in the e-mails back to me, but TigerDirect listed it as a 507; it wouldn't have made any difference though as I would not have been able to do anything until today anyway. I then reordered a 506 from someplace else. We'll see how this one goes.:(

Anyway, as far as placement of a fan and what type, I figured something blowing from the back right corner diagonally across to the left front corner would work and it would blow away from me situated to the right of the receiver and not blow back against the wall. I don't have any pics back I would be attaching it to the bottom of the desk somehow. Would a regular 120mm fan work (how could I power this?) or would I have to buy something not specific to a computer build? Like I said before, the sides, front and back are wide-open, but the bottom is only around 3/4-inch with the receiver sitting on the subwoofer (really no other good place to put it in this room; we actually need a new house:)). There is actually only about 1-inch only on the front 1/3 of the top of the receiver and 2 1/2 inches on the middle 1/3 of the top of the receiver and 7 inches over the back 1/3 of the receiver, so I guess that's a little better than previously described. It seems most of the heat is rising from the back of the receiver. Any ideas?:)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
No, I paid for the 506 as shown on the original Amazon web site link. The 507 is no good to me as I need multichannel in connections for front (L-R), back (L-R), center and subwoofer and the 507 does not have this. If I could use the 507, then I would have just ordered one from newegg (I think newegg has them but not completely sure) and I wouldn't have had this problem.:)

Any ideas on the fan setup for the receiver?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Hadn't had the chance to look for a fan or anything yet, but this has suddenly turned rather bizarre. I got a call from my neighbor across the street this Saturday (8-22-09) and they said they have a package for me and have had it around 4-5 days and I asked them what it said on the outside of the box and where it was from, etc. and they said,"TX-SR507, TigerDirect, UPS". Apparently, UPS tried to deliver it again instead of taking it back to TigerDirect. Is this the new f-ing thing now or what?:mad:

Anyway, I've been calling my neighbor back the past couple of days with no response.......may be walking over there after work tomorrow. They said they would try and take it back to UPS on that Saturday, so we'll see if they did or not. OK, so you remember I ordered the other one, well the other place sent me an e-mail saying they'd get back to me on my order soon. WTF? Did they go on vacation or something? If I don't hear from them soon and/or they screw me like TigerNeglect, then there could be trouble.:(

The new company is SafeandSoundHQ.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Good reviews at reseller ratings and bad reviews at beat this......go figure?:loopy:

Anyway, I'm calling them tomorrow and finding out WTF!?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, so they never charged my card and they don't have the 506B in stock (but they have the 507B and nothing else that will work for me). He did say the 506B was discontinued about 6 months ago and, most likely, I would end up getting the 507 if I ordered the 506 with people not realizing the connections are different and thinking they are doing me a favor with the upgrade when they actually are not. I asked the guy why he's advertising the 506b then and he said they're changing that soon..............um, but not soon enough for me apparently.:(

I tried all the other Onkyo receivers and they are either too tall or the connections won't work (same with the Denon receivers). I may look at the Yamahas again, but I think it's the same deal with them. Newegg doesn't seem to have anything that would work for me either. I tried Compusa.com and they have the 506B advertised, but after calling they said it was a drop shipment from the manufacturer and I would get the 507 again (WTF is with that, change the f-ing ad people.....I told them this). I don't want to change my sound card because I have same in two computers and I sometimes switch to the other computer.

It's looking like ebay or get a new computer desk (not happening) or new subwoofer (not happening).

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Got outbid on ebay because I wasn't thinking, so it could be a while.:(
I found a Pioneer receiver at newegg with 110W per channel and my Klipsch satellites are 65W per channel. Is that OK?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117302

(i'm also trying not to keep these latest 2 threads separately on each topic if possible):)

Hehe, looks like I better get a fan of some sort if I get this one. The owner's manual suggests 24 inches of space on top for heat dispersal.;)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Even though I just noticed ebay has another Onkyo 506 up, I think I'm going to order a new Pioneer 819 instead. The 506 has a dent in the back and their picture shows the top a biege color for some odd reason. If ebay posts another 506 in the next 6 hours, then I'll consider it; otherwise, I'm trying the Pioneer. I think I'll order some thermal material and a 120mm fan while I'm at it.:)
Here's my other thread at pcper:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=465837

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Those receivers are too tall I believe, but I'll check again to be sure.

Also, seems I'm getting grief at hardforum for running the receiver with hardly any room at the top, but I figure I've run the Onkyo this way without thermal material to protect the underside of the desk from overheating and with no fans blowing the hot air, so once I have these two things then it will be safer. The measurements I gave in that thread were off the top of my head, so they might vary from what are in this thread.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1014144&page=3

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
No, but I might want to store something in that drawer that could be damaged by the heat and the bottom of the desk does heat up quite a bit. I really don't know if that's what their suggesting or if they mean I'll "burn" through another receiver in no time. I was planning on using the thermal material last time anyway, so I thought this would be a good time to use it.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
The Marantz is too tall. Any idea if the Pioneer 819 will put out more heat than the Onkyo 503 or about the same?

I know, I know, I should put it somewhere else but the only other place is on a thin piece of wood under the window (underneath is outside the house, I don't know what you call this though; the wife nixed this idea and it seems to me the receiver would be a bit heavy for it.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Wouldn't the air get trapped inside the desk then anyway with or without the fans blowing up? How would you actually attach that to the receiver anyway?

If the next receiver I get has vents the same as the 503 (front to back - 8.5 inches wide), then I could move the receiver 2.5 inches back and the front 4.5 inches of vents would have something blocking them 2.75 inches above and the back 4 inches of vents wouldn't be blocked until 7 inches. That's the best I can do. I figure if I have a fan blowing across, then I at least have a chance of getting that warm air out from underneath the desk; although, maybe a couple of fans blowing front to back would be better.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
...kind of like a GPU if the video card fan fails.;)

Yes, obviously the heat sink is gone in that picture.;)

Anyway, I think I figured out a way to put it somewhere else (place mentioned earlier). I could put a piece of wood (not bare) under the receiver and rest it partially on my desk and partially on the front window area supports so it's supported mostly by other things and not supported completely by the thin wood under the window (I wish I could remember the name of this area in front of the window). It would be a little inconvient, but maybe my receiver would last longer. I'm still ordering something that could fit below my desk just in case I change my mind, so I'm probably still getting the Pioneer. I just hope my RCA cables are long enough for this new location.:)

Even though this new location has plenty of air above it all the way to the ceiling, I was still thinking of attaching two 120mm fans sucking air out and up away from the receiver. Maybe the fact that it's not under the desk and the hot air gets sucked away would help it last longer. Do I just glue these to the top of the receiver (using 50/50 mixer of Arctic Silver thermal paste and thermal adhesive of course) and making sure the wires are not touching the top of the receiver (or does this part not matter)?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Windowsill, but it goes almost the full length of the room and comes out about 2.5 feet from the window.

Yeh, I should be able to find one of those gaskets and I'm assuming just rest the fan on the gasket as to try to attach it to the bottom could result in something sticking out rubbing against the receiver. I'm going to buy two fans anyway, just in case one burns out and I'll end up needing one for something else sometime anyway.

I haven't ordered the receiver or anything yet, because I've been in pain since Tuesday afternoon. Something's going on in my lower abdomen and I should have some initial results tomorrow (no red lights yet though). I want to make sure I can tackle setting all this stuff up after ordering. Thanks for all the help so far.:)

EDIT: hehe, got you to register for another forum.;)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Hospitals suck! I was in one from Friday late afternoon until yesterday afternoon (worst Labor Day weekend ever). I had a serious infection (in lower abdomen) and possibly Crohn's disease; they'll know for sure in a couple weeks with more tests but there will be no surgery and there were no leaks. I'm back home and continuing my recovery and should be 100% or close to it on Thursday or Friday. I'll order the receiver soon.:)

Everyone, please eat right and ask your relatives about your family history for stuff and be aware! Bye for now.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Nope, no new stuff. I just finished connecting everything correctly, but it's too late to test and calibrate so I'll do it tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll be done and everything working tomorrow.:)