1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The room is spinning...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DarkED, Aug 1, 2015.

1. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

Just as an aside I wonder if you used any of my DayZ stuff by chance? I wrote a bunch of missions for WAI and DZMS and tutored some coding on the official board. These were some of mine for Napf that I put out publicly:
    Code:
    BridgeNowhere- Really tough take-the-bridge mission that spawns several waves of reinforcements.
    OfficeSpace- Soldiers spread around, inside, and on top of an office building. Toughie.
    UFO- If your players are careful they can recover a working "UFO". Neat to see new players when they try to work out what the UFO is and does.
    SniperTeam- 4 man team of maximum level snipers armed with AS50's overlooking the dam (This mission requires some edits to your AIConfig file, email me if you want to use it and I'll explain what to change. It's simple stuff)
    DeathValley- You think it will be an easy mission, the soldiers are all in a bowl valley. So you think. Machine guns, patrol heli, paratroopers. Another toughie.
    BeachHead- Legion beach incursion with boat patrols and air support
    NapfCastle- Soldiers set up in the Napf ruins
    Sumrenfield- Soldier group in the dish array
    I also ran the "Legion owns Napf" servers where all the AI belonged to the Legion faction. Had a good backstory woven into the missions on the server and everything. I had a bunch of other stuff too like my own handcuff scripts, gem and banking, etc.

I enjoyed the hell out of DayZ but the server management aspect was just 200% too much for me. I ran two servers and it was nearly a full-time job to keep the DB's clean. Way too many hackers too. Also it really disturbed me to see the high number of rapes and torture that occurred when I added the handcuff scripts. Didn't care much to see that part of player culture.

Anyway, whether you head some new project or someone else steps up, I'll offer whatever help I can.

2. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

I think there is value in the name and even if moving forward it moves away from Unreal specific content there is no reason to change the name really, just branding.

3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

There is no reason we couldn't have other sites for other things, I guess (I do own BeyondDescent.com, too :p). But it seems silly to throw away the BU name, which is reasonably well known in the journalism world and especially in the UT community. Heck, I met a writer for Tom's Hardware at Epic who knew who we were and Liandri is pretty much the Unreal Wiki. Honestly, it would take a lot for me to give up on this site. I'm still hopeful that UT4 is going to do well and bring more interest to the series.

I do think Selerox is right, people don't know or remember UT. But I think that is a good thing instead of a bad thing. It means if UT4 is good, people will play it. The real challenge that Epic is facing there is having a bunch of very passionate classic UT fans that are constantly pushing for the game to be just like previous versions of the game. Ultimately it could be the game's downfall. It remains to be seen.

The reason I idealize making a UT4 mod is just the idea of getting in on the ground floor with a casual, for fun pack of mods and maps which most people are unlikely to make over there. The "fun" part of the game is really lacking because, frankly, almost nobody from our community of people who enjoyed the senseless fun of it all are contributing over there. There is no "fragbu" community helping with the new game. They are all highly competitive people who want perfectly designed maps for competitive play and I'd love to be building things that remind people this game is also for fun. That's why I think committing to FragBU could ultimately be successful.

4. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

BeyondDescent.com that's fuckin' great :lol:
    that game was the bees knees man, too bad it never went anywhere else.

[​IMG]

5. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Bleh, the turning motion in that game made me want to throw up. Couldn't get used to it.

6. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Word.

7. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

I think we used that one. Sounds familiar!

Yeah. DayZ was already a hacker's paradise by the time Epoch appeared and BattleEye was practically useless. Even Rocket was saying that at least 60% of all DayZ players were actively engaged in hacking. Our servers were both locked with a password, but we still had to deal with a torrent of hackers that managed to break in. At least we didn't have it as bad as the publics.

As an admin (one of six for our community, because we had to do it in 8-hour shifts for each server to keep the game playable) the depravity of some playstyles didn't bother me. It was just the fucking hacking, it really ruined the game for everyone. Some days, every five or ten minutes we would have to check the logs and ban someone. If we dared to take an hour break, we'd usually come back to an entire server in disarray. We gave up after one quarterly server lease but it's not hard to see why.

Awesome, thanks! I have no idea what we'd do yet, but we should definitely keep talking about it.

Those are all valid points, and I didn't mean we should throw away this forum completely. There's no reason BU can't stay what it is. I do think we should consider banding together and starting up a totally new community that is tied to BU, yet also focused on something else. The thing is, if we were going to do that it would probably be better to start it as an entirely new forum that lists BU as an affiliate or something. I don't know.

Speaking of that, there's no reason we couldn't launch our own version of the old Planet network. We could start with a Fileplanet-like site for the games we want to rally behind and then launch communities for a bunch of current/upcoming games instead of focusing on just one.

PS: BeyondFiles.com, BeyondFallout.com, and BeyondDoom.com all have a nice ring to them. We know both of those games are going to be popular, and we know (at least in the case of Fallout) that there will be a huge mod community.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  8. Hunter

The Planet network was good, however 1 set of forums works far better than having individual ones for each site. It creates more of a community hub and saves people a lot of time logging in multiple times, etc.

Do we look at a game which has a thriving mod community and tag along?

9. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

Fallout is pretty much the shit (in a good way) and will likely be popular for decades.

10. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

How about a Beyond[x] network, with BeyondForums tying them together? if there's enough interest and such to get said network going in multiple titles...

11. Hunter

We would need to find people with enough interest in titles to launch sites.

Years ago I was involved in running the Miss Match Gaming Network (MMGN, but not the current MMGN.com) and if you have the right people running the sites it can work extremely well. Then sites can be launched for games when a community forms.