1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Hidden Secrets of Deck16-II

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by Predcaliber, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

Since Deck16-II is still one of the most popular maps of UT, I decided to make a movie to show you all the secrets of the Deck.

It are 4 chapters:

1 The Shieldbelt
    2 The Damage Amplifier
    3 Lol
    4 Movement and combat

I think it really can show you how to move around in deck16, so you have a bit of an idea how to play.

If there any problems with the movie, please let me know.
    Download http://files.filefront.com/deck16rar/;4319254;;/fileinfo.html
    (length: +- 10 mins)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  2. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

3. Predcaliber

thanks buddy!

4. Glider of chaos

Glider of chaos Ready 2 Fight !

bump!

Oh. Finally I was able 2 download & watch this movie %)
    So, now I have something 2 say. That’s mostly critics (as usual :D)
    First thing I have 2 say: “sorry, but I can’t say I like it.”
    & here I’m going 2 tell why(most of the reasons are pure IMO but still…):
    1. Psychology. I had some trouble with downloading movie, my first attempt ends with a corrupted archive, etc.
    2. The movie didn’t meet my expectations. For example I was really hoping 2 see an explanation about “extended dodge” (I mean this diagonal dodge to Shield Belt from minigun and the other side). I was kinda waiting 4 the explanation with the arrows drawn etc… Something like “so, I’m moving in this direction (arrows appears) and when I dodge(another arrow appears)… so, the final direction is this (final arrow appears)”.
    3. Overall the pacing of the movie was kinda slow. Those “chapter intros”… All those words slowly appearing on the screen… I felt bored with those, sorry.
    4. Some of the music used was really getting on my nerves =\
    5. Quality was overall bad. CPU usage was ok but movie was “laggy” most of the time. I guess that’s because of fraps… UnrealMovie is perfect, why use fraps? =(
    6. Lol chapter was not all that funny because I’ve seen all this “combo myself” stuff way too many times =\. Summon part were pretty funny & original =)
    7. Combat and Movement chapter was ok (Nali as training dummies was really fun & original idea)… But I was hoping to see something like 1on1 tactics chapter here. “Shieldbelt is really important but U’re really vulnerable while longing for it & U have very few options after U take it unless U have Antigrav Boots”, “Antigrav boots is your best friend here”, “Weird lightning spawns a number of camp points”… There’s a lot 2 be said about 1on1 Deck gameplay.

So, here goes the bottom line:
    This movie is not all this bad as I was describing it. It may prove really useful to those who are new 2 UT but I think it could be better.

PS Shall I post this on own-age as well ? Somehow they seem 2 care about getting feedback =)

PPS Btw. Are U planning 2 make a promo movie 4 your BuF riddle maps ? Map promo movies with the extensive RypelCam usage are pretty popular now =)

5. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

6. Al

Al Reaper

I'll check it out.

7. Predcaliber

Sorry for this very late reply, I am trying to be more active these days @ BUF ;)

But first of all thanks for watching and your comments

Yeah, the first hosting was at my own webspace, a friend of my ended with an corrupted archive too, but the day after I reuploaded it, and it seemed to work fine again, sorry for that.

I could have done that, but I actually let that out because I tought that was not really visual interesting and a lot of knowm stuff already, I tried to explain it a bit with the replays.

Agreed, I saw the movie afterwards a lot, and the long chapter texts are becoming a bit annoying.

lol I heard the songs (or at least parts) so many times when editing and adjusting the movie, I am sure it I found the songs far more annoying :p
    But in the final result I could respect them again, and its just a matter of taste I guess, I tried to combina a lot of my favourite music to make it interesting for a lot of viewers.

I tought it was movieunreal2002 I used before, and I didnt like it, capturing footage from demos took way too long, and you end with a map full of jpg's.
    I didnt knew where fraps was capable of, but I found it quite an ok capturing prog.

I originally made this movie for people who play UT online, and sometimes play deck16II because of map vote, and have no idea how people do all the stuff.
    The lol part is just an extra part to make it more visual interesting. (at least that was its purpose ;) )

I tried to make things clear with the routes I toke, unfortunatly I had nobody who wanted to be a training dummy, so I had to my stuff with nali dolls :/

Lol, nice you remember them, thanks for the tip, I think about it :tup:
    Actually, I am experimenting making movies trough with the unrealED technology.
    Check this small movie out I made to see what I mean with that.
    However the language is dutch, the movie should speak for itself ;)
    Again, thanks for your comments, its always usefull.

8. Glider of chaos

Glider of chaos Ready 2 Fight !

U're welcome =) In case U need some critics on almost anything just let me know ;)

PS. This UED movie was really... *coughs* scary :D
    2 say the truth this kind of stuff usually goes in *.swf, not *.avi, I think %)
    BTW, were the sprites managed in UED as well ?

9. Predcaliber

nah sprites are manually added in a Paint shop pro.
    I actually making landscapes or other 'sets' in UED, prt screen at a good view, and there adding the text and sprites.

Then I got something like 40 still images, en I edit them to a movie with Ulead video studio.

This movie took me 90 mins or something to make :/