1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The hardware question that begs to be asked

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by truegamer, Feb 22, 2006.

?

VIDEO CARD BRAND FIGHT OF DEATH

1. nVidia

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. ATI

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. No clue. I'm going with 'Tomato'.

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

To be honest though, any top of the line 939 pin dual CPU will be just fine for UT2007. Sure, new stuff will be better, but there's stuff out there now, that is out of the price range of most people, that will run it like a champ.
    Again, anything currently top of the line will do well, regardless of whether its ATi or NVidia. They've already said that the GTX would be a great card for UT2007. Since then, NVidia has released the 512MB GTX and ATi has released great cards like the x1800 XTX and x1900XTX (that are outperforming the currently highest end NVidia card). I'm sure anything GT/GTX and up will be great.

I've had great cards from both that I've used to play all of the Unreal Engine games. I can't honestly say that one side has really shamed the other in UT2x performance.

2. truegamer

truegamer New Member

Yeah... after seeing the response in this thread, I'm changing what I'm getting quite a bit... I'm getting the same memory, but I'm getting an ASUS mobo with an Athlon 64-bit 3700+ and, temporarially, a GeForce 6500 256mb just so I can use the computer before getting a hulking video card.

3. communist

communist New Member

/me stands corrected.

I'll try those omega drivers asap - I really dont understand the whole need for that control center crap :|

4. communist

communist New Member

Ah the Omega Driver are teh bestest - latest catalyst with the old tabs and no .NET crapola - thanks for the heads up :):tup:

5. magitek

magitek New Member

Disclaimer: I just bought a Radeon x1900xtx.

Just talking highest-end, ATI currently has the lead over nVidia in performance. This is because the 1800/1900 series are better at things that require heavy use of shaders, which is most new stuff.

As far as drivers, etc. are concerned, it's a bit more subjective. I only got the Radeon because the e-retailer who was supposed to be getting me my 7800 GTX flaked out. I'd always had nVidia before, and I was worried a bit about the driver support. So far, I've been happy with it. The ATI control center might take a few more seconds to load up, but its features and layout are very similar to nVidia's.

Also, the CC will automatically test and overclock your card for you. The max overclock available through the CC was about 10% for the core and 15% for the memory. I don't know a lot about overclocking, so that might not be much.

The only criticism I have is that ATI dosen't update drivers as frequently. From what I can tell, ATI waits longer and then puts out bigger updates. I can see where this might be a problem if the latest drivers have issues. I know I rather liked how nVidia had new stuff for me to get almost every week.

6. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I just put together a system tonight.

AMD X2 4400+
    Zalman CNPS9500
    X1900XT
    Mushkin DDR500 memory
    OCZ Powerstream 520watt PSU
    Sony Dual Layer DVD-R
    Western Digital 250GB SATAII Hard Drive
    Thermaltake Shark case

If this doesn't run UT2007, I will cry.

7. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

They release updates on a monthly basis.
    Last year they even had a 13th update close to the end of the year.
    You can bet on there being a new driver-update in two weeks (not MR-standardtime ;))

// BeerGut
    You will cry even if it does run UT2k7.
    Why ?
    Because by the time it's released your system will be a few hundred cheaper and/or you'll be able to buy a faster one for the same amount of money.
    That's technology for you ...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  8. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

Voted for "No clue" as it really depends on how Epic optimise the engine. But there is usually one factor for nVidia vs ATI scenes:

nVidia favour OpenGL
    ATI favour Direct3D

9. magitek

magitek New Member

I've got an AMD x2 4800+

It dropped in price by $100 the day after I bought it :(

Also, glad to hear that ATI has monthly releases, I didn't know that.

And I certainly hope Epic makes some huge optimizations (I think they will). I know UT2k4 was very playable on a bargain basement PC with onboard video, so I would imagine UT2k7 would be similar. However, not being able to run max settings without a quad-card setup is rediculous (the latest showing of UT2k7 was running on 4 7800GTXs).

10. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

Understatement of the century.
    I'd like to see what you consider a bargain-basement PC. :D
    Then I'd like to see one with onboard video running 2k4 in a "very playable" state.

11. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Probably the same kind of 'playable' that people with high-end graphicscards have after they've disabled all effects and eye-candy so they can hit things without having to practice ...

The only difference being that he needs those settings just to be able to play in the first place.

12. sinikk

sinikk Balance in all things

My old ASUS socket 478 board, with a celeron D 355 (or 335? can't quite remember) ran UT2004 at a constant 8-15 fps, lowest possible settings, onbord video . . :eek:

Now, that was a bargan basment PC.

13. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

That is solely because of the onboard video, the Celeron D series are pretty decent performers, for the price.

14. BmB23

BmB23 Take a pick!

What control center? I have the standard drivers and I see no friggin' control center... Hell I dont even have an ATI folder on my disk.

You know Windows update will automatically install the newest ATI drivers for you without no **** but the drivers.

really...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  15. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Village Idiot

Go to www.ati.com and download the newest catalyst driver... install and you'll have the control panel...

16. TAZTG

TAZTG Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference

AMEN!!

17. Bazzi

Bazzi Wearing pink

Think future, think linux, think nvidia!