1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The great CTF poll.

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by yurch, Jan 4, 2002.

?

CTF poll.

1. TDM

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. CTF

26 vote(s)
    63.4%
  3. CTF with one life. (TDM with flag)

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

the important thing is to keep players moving towards spots where they can meet. cause right now guys are just wandering off (enjoying the scenery :D ) and getting lost.

the only way to win is by killing mr. lost
    so in effect, youve got a dom map with 5 wandering dom points :p

Ill take two flags over that anyday...

btw, I hate to say it, but afa2 seemed to run better with the weapon stay off. or at least My connection was behaving alot better at that time.

2. G-Fresh

G-Fresh Red

CTF, even if teamwork doesn't happen all the time, it's still inifinitely more than with TDM on other servers

3. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Biggest issue with CTF: its too fast. Thats right. Although everyone likes it that way, its an AFA server. Therefore: realisim is our goal. When strafe-shooting, running and gunning, and even a prone-dive-knife-kill (on my part :D) starts appearing in a RA server, you know something is wrong.
    Could be the lag, perhaps. People have a tendancy to start moving once they notice thier targets aren't dropping.

4. Khutan

Khutan Always in a vicious circle....

Ironically enough, I haven't played on AFA#2, so I can't vote :lol:, so I'll leave it up to you guys - do whatever you think is most fun ;). For the DropIn-Random-CTF thing, maybe setting the wave-respawn time higher would help, I mean, who's going to camp at the enemy spawn, when they have enough time to return the flag? And theres always SpawnProtection (even though it's unrealistic :hmm: ), and also, TeamStartCTF v1.1 may be more fun with it's new options..I dunno :)

Personally I reckon RandomTeamSpawn + DOM would be cool, even better would be AnyMapDOM, set to one control point placed at random (maybe 2) + RandomTeamSpawn :) Although you'd probably have the same spawn-camping issues with it.. (I think I'll replace the glowing DOM-Points with CTF flags..)

5. ecale3

ecale3 Sniper - May be harmful to your health.

How about replacing it with a Humvee you have to capture and maintain possesion of.

6. Khutan

Khutan Always in a vicious circle....

yeah, I was thinking of something along those lines (a humvee, or something else similar, determined by how much space there was or something), but then if a Control point is placed in the top floor of a building, it'd look really strange :p

7. yurch

You'd be surprised. People like to kill things. If the spawns aren't spread out a whole bunch, it only takes one clip to kill 8 guys. Or one 40mm shell.

8. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

I had a blast on that border map.
    My assumption is that random ctf ABSOLUTILY DEPENDS on having the right map and the right set of rules to govern it.

the catch with respawning is that players are more careless.
    I wouldent say the game was too fast, but the respawning seemed to be a bit... often.
    maybe there should be a bit more of a timeout between lives.
    to give the guys who just shot you a chance at capitalizing on your abscence.

9. ecale3

how about a field radio then Khutan.

10. Sidewinder

Sidewinder New Member

voted tdm.

11. Chris[IN]

Chris[IN] ChrisIN!

Im All for CTF!!!
    its my favorite type of play

12. Guardian_BOB

Guardian_BOB Glitch! BFG!

I'd have to go with the CTF. I've never seen such an increase in teamwork before.
    Other thoughts:
    On the respawn timeout - play with it a bit. Maybe the careless ones don't relate it with TDM matches and they should. Fact is if you die in TDM your team may loose, same with CTF if you are sidelined for x seconds the opposition has the chance to get away with your flag. Only in TDM you could be out for 30 seconds or 10 minutes (Kosovo Night).

On spawn camping - It sucks, these guys are missing the point, many ideas have been tossed around and we'll see if anyone comes up with a good solution.

On recent lag on AFA2 - I played most every night this week and had no problems but others were complaining. My worst night and I had to drop out was last night after CTF had been taken off. Like Yurch said I think it may be something other than just the ctf or body stay stuff.

Slay ya later Guardian_Bob

13. ecale3

As i stated earlier though i'm all for DOM. It's just that if i'm lagging with DSL it must be horrible for 56k users.

oh i forgot to mention i do really like CTF, i just think it's current implementation makes it easier to go it alone. I do better on CTF AFA 2 alone then if i travel with everyone else, and that is sad since teamwork makes for a much more enjoyable game.

14. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

Chris is biased, he's a flag-run whore:p

I' d be for an alternance... (like one night CTF and the rest TDM) I think it's a lot of trouble switching though:(

15. yurch

Im surprised at the results.
    But it will NOT happen, at all, unless we can get a realistic play out of it. No questions asked.

16. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

At first, people were playing using teamwork in a way I had never seen before. People were actually reporting positions, contacts, and asking for backup (and people would actual respond!). But after a while, yuch is right, people reverted to being loners trying to be the sole person to score a point. It was great at first, but whatever caused everyone to work together at first evaporated. I'd like to see some kind of objective oriented game play again, but the objective needs to be something that one person alone can't achieve... at least not easily. I think perhaps holding a position would be a beter objective for INF. We need to try DOM or Assult.

It was a great experiment, but it's a failed experiment. This I must admit.

17. yurch

Possibly bumping up the time for spawns, but then it becomes TDM with a flag.
    Making the goal more specific, like one side attacks, one defends.
    Make the flag carrier unable to shoot back. Or make him slow. Make it so he can't do it himself.
    Require 2 people to finish the objective.
    Random spawning, as a group all over the map, in a new spot every time, with flags in known locations.
    Have a designated flagrunner that is the only one capable of carrying flag.
    Perhaps just harsher RA movement restrictions.

Right now, the only way to help the guy with the flag, is to kill the people chasing him(thats also the way to get him in). And that happens to be respawns - and noone likes respawn killing.

I dunno. Just hopelessly throwing ideas. Perhaps a king-of-the-hill game would just be easier.

18. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

Warning, the man posting is hopped up on caffine and guava juice! :D

I think somewhere in that code, you need to make it detect when an enemy player is in viewing of the random spawn point.
    and if so, generate a new point.

for the respawn itself, 2 things(assuming it dosent do this already)
    1. spawn in waves (when X players of Y total on red team are deceased, respawn the dead)

2. randomize the delay time on that.

you might be out 1 minute, you might be out 5 minutes.
    either which way, you cannot rely on the spawn saving you.

but I still say we need a new game type.

I suggest: "capture the box"
    put a sizeable box at center field, a goal on each end.
    1 player must pick up the box and take it (lifting with both hands at walking speeds) to their teams goal.
    He can drop it at any time, but it wont return to center unless its 'lost' for more than a marked period.

19. -=SDS=-Coop

-=SDS=-Coop INF Online moderator

i played for a good 12 hours worth of inf in the last 2 days (thursday and friday) and i do have to say that the mutator running on the afa server is definitley fun. i joined in and we were playing extreme predjudice (sp?) and people were reporting locations, working in fireteams of either a sniper and an assaulter, the sniper watching the assaulter, or an assaulter carrying any kind of weapon and someone with more explosive ammo, such as an H&K69 and hand grenades. i myself joined in on the fun, moving around with a p90, finding a sniper rifle off of a downed friend or foe, and helping my team, as a team member and not an individual who happens to want to win. I later went to play on a random public server, and felt wierd, everyone running at everyone else, i didint find myself killing as often, i found myself dying more often. Im definintley going to make it a point to be on the AFA server more often. I liked the concept of random flag spawning, and the respawning after x amount of time (i believe it was said to be 90 seconds) but the one real problem i have with it was always spawning when an enemy or enemys are making an attempt to grab our flag. spawning and then dying within 5 seconds isint very fun. we had this problem when playing funkers, i made a comment along the lines of "I wonder what this level looks like 20 feet out of the spawn hole" But yea, spawning the flag in the spawn point is a bit of a problem. I do however have a possible solution, and i appologize if someone has stated it and i havnt noticed, but: Have the flag randomly spawn at a pathnode X units away from the spawnpoints. This of course requires a map with bot support, and a fairly large map. say through testing the number 2048 is determined to be an optimal number for a distance the flag should spawn from the starting points, that may be a problem in such places as chasm, where red team spawns in multiple really small locations. then again, blue team has an entire base to spawn in, and i cannot off the top of my head think of any locations for the flag to spawn as well. alright, so, obviously 2048 is too big a number (the average infdude is 74 units tall, with the standard for 1 foot being 16 units) maybe that number should be decreased to 1024 or maybe even 512, just as long as the flag isint in visual range of the spawnpoint, or vice versa, that way if someone is going for the flag, and all of a sudden theres a respawn, the flag runner doesnt get gang raped by everyone respawning, or all the respawners dont die immediatley from a grenade or gunfire. ack, i wrote an essay, sorry

P.S. Teamwork (see below)

20. -=SDS=-Coop

-=SDS=-Coop INF Online moderator

ack, terribly sorry about the filesize, hope i havnt pissed too many of you off