1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The final thread on setting up your GeForce for OpenGL sweetness...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by /\l!eN[RIP], Sep 1, 2001.

1. krate

krate Newbie for life

Ok, I think I am dialed in as nicely as I can get it. Here is what I got on my own recorded demo of me fighting with a few bots on the Infiltration Map Kazakstan.

1600 X 1024
    32 bit
    Max detail
    All options on
    Quin AA
    MinFrameRate 0
    Min 26.08 Max 70.12 Avg 51.80 fps.

Again, my system is a P/// 1Ghz, 384 M, GeForce 3 500ti
    I got the latest nVidia driver (Oct 11 2001) from nVidia's site today.
    I got the latest OpenGL driver (May 9 2001) from:
    http://unreal.epicgames.com/News.htm

If I go down to 600X800, I only get 55 fps. Almost nothing seems to make the fps go much higher, but if I go a little above these settings, like to 1600X1200, performance falls off of a cliff and I get fps in the 30's.

I am getting totally clear textures on all maps. Sometimes I need to do a flush, but it works from anywhere on the map.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
    RefreshRate=70
    DetailTextures=True
    UseTrilinear=True
    UseS3TC=True
    UseTNT=True
    LODBias=0.000000
    UseMultiTexture=True
    UsePalette=True
    UseAlphaPalette=True
    Translucency=1
    VolumetricLighting=True
    ShinySurfaces=True
    Coronas=True
    HighDetailActors=True
    MaxAnisotropy=0
    AlwaysMipmap=True
    UsePrecache=True
    SupportsLazyTextures=0
    GammaOffset=0.000000
    MaxLogTextureSize=0
    MinLogTextureSize=0
    MaxLogVOverU=0
    MaxLogUOverV=0
    MaxTMUnits=0
    DisableSpecialDT=False
    UseFilterSGIS=True
    Use4444Textures=False
    UseVertexSpecular=False
    ShareLists=True
    DescFlags=0
    Description=NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500
    UseVSynch=False

2. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

New drivers out, Detenator XP :p

3. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

The Detonators XP crashed UT in my setup (Win98SE & GeForce 256, Tbird 800MHz), so after deleting UT and trying to kill all nVidia-stuff I'm back to my previous version :(

The best I got in OpenGl & regular UT is 1024x768 32-bits/ full detail :
    - high 40 fps (that's staring at a wall ;) )
    - average 25-30 fps
    - low around 10 fps

That GeForce 3 sure looks like it would be worth the money in my setup, altough I prefer to wait for the Radeon 8500 (with twinview/dual monitor support if possible :D).

4. .Nova.

.Nova. Hate

HELP!!!

I have a TNT2 M64 but when I shift to opengl all textures turn white, even the guns.... the only thing that doesn't turn to a white texture is the sleeves. Please help!

5. krate

krate Newbie for life

For your whited-out textures, try setting anything that says "Use...", e.g. "UsePalette," to "False". It could be that one of these things isn't supported by TNT, and your textures are not loading.

I got an interesting effect last night. I was playing with OpenGL and its brightness settings, and suddenly the darkest shade of black became transparent! The walls in Teeth were full of cracks and holes, and you could see people running around on the other side of walls. I hope that doesn't happen too often with the new drivers.

6. erehwoN

erehwoN The Bass Ackwards BTL

Okay, here is my problem with OGL. I have the S3TC textures and the latest drivers, however, when I run UT/INF/whatever, it runs fine, but the Windows Start bar won't dissappear. Any advice?

7. krate

krate Newbie for life

That happens sometimes. You can go back to the desktop with alt-tab or F12. Usually when I minimize and maximize Unreal, the menu bar goes away. Also, are you starting directly in fullscreen mode? If you don't, you might have problems with that. In the worst case, you could make the menubar hide before you start Unreal.

8. .Nova.

.Nova. Hate

thx krate, I tried what you said, and it worked perfectly :)

9. DRmechanic

DRmechanic New Member

Krate,
    The ini settings for the UT/Inf ogl drivers are... statement sensative shall we say. According to Epic and Dan Vogel (the creator of the oringinal Loki patch), True and False must be replaced by 1's and 0's to be effective. If you look at Dan's revised ini settings (further down the page at Epic) for the new ogl driver, you will see his changes from the normal UT True and False. Just a thought...:D

BTW, you may want to set the UseTNT to 0...

10. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Does anyone have a problem with inf being stuck on almost what seems as a ..fixed framerate?
    I get <20 fps with 640x480 and 1280x1024...

11. hetzer

hetzer New Member

nvidia Linux & Trilinear

Should we be using "UseTrilinear=1" in linux as well?

12. erehwoN

erehwoN The Bass Ackwards BTL

VSync does that.....my INF would top out at 85 fps (my monitor refresh rate at that res). Download RivaTuner, and you can edit vsync and other stuff. Turning vsync off, I usually average over 100 fps.

13. yurch

vsync really doesn't make a difference for me.

14. /\l!eN[RIP]

/\l!eN[RIP] burp

Could you post your system specs and drivers yurch?

15. Exar

Exar INForcer

Help

Alien, I did exactly what u told in your first post in this thread. But when switching to OpenGL I get 60HZ! And YES, I have used 'RefreshRate=85' (85HZ is what I normally use)... Even after quitting INF, my Windows is in 60HZ! :confused:
    Pls help me, I wanna try OpenGL too!

System:
    PIII-667, 256MB RAM
    GeForce2 GTS 32 MB (Detonator 21.83 WHQL)
    Windows ME, latest UT OpenGL driver

Oh yeah almost forgot: Windows and INF both in 1024*768@32bits

Last edited: Nov 18, 2001
  16. NTKB

NTKB Banned

How do you tell how many Htz your monitor gets? And can someone PLEASE make this thread sticky? This had helped me get awsome performance! ;)

17. DRmechanic

DRmechanic New Member

Exar_Kunn,
    A lot of people using the 2x.xx drivers are having problems with getting the refresh rates to stick. Did you have this problem with any 1x.xx versions?

18. yurch

eeuugh, 500mhz PIII, Gf2 MX PCI, 300some odd ram, openGl, latest version(for UT) and most recent DirectX and detenator 12 something.
    Messing with the driver versions really haven't given me anything in the way of performance.

19. /\l!eN[RIP]

/\l!eN[RIP] burp

Strange thing is [-I-]Exar_Kunn, I dont have the prob. My rr is 85 and I put that in my OpenGL renderer...Maybe it's those darned WinXP detonators. I use the good old 12.41 and DirectX8.1, sorry, I cant help you :(

{GD}NTKB : Right click desktop, properties, settings, advanced, adapter, properties.....

20. krate

krate Newbie for life

Yurch,

Did you play with the framerate setting? This made a difference for me even when vsynch was off.

I spent a few hours optimizing my system, and it payed off. First turn off vsynch, make a demo, and then time it. Then make a backup copy of your ini file. Then get a note pad and start adjusting things one by one and use the demo to see how you are doing. I like Kazakstan for checking the transparency rendering and Bulecourt for testing the framerate. Tweak a setting, write down the time. Keep doing this until you can't stand it anymore.
    Eventually, I ended up with a great looking display, a decent framerate on all standard maps, and clear textures in every situation.