1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The FINAL adsl modem vs UT + inf question before i just die.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by zeep, Aug 16, 2001.

1. zeep

zeep :(

This issues i've posted a few times already and i know now that it cannot be fixed.
    When i play online; Inf or UT, then either after 20 seconds or after 3 mapchanges somehow my internet connection goes into a lockup.
    On some inf servers it happens only after a few seconds when i join ( www.gamblexx.de ) and on other servers i can play a few maps before it happens. It happens with plain UT aswell.
    When it locks up i get a 'connection interrupted' on screen and that's it then. When i look to the connection icon in the systray i can see it is only sending some bits out and receiving nothing anymore. Disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't change anything then. I HAVE to reboot my pc in order to get a normal connection again.

Strange enough i haven't had the problem once with Tac Ops.

With other games such as Quake2, Quake3A, STVEliteForce and SOF it never happens.

I believe it may be something inside my modem (alcatel speed touch home) that 'chockes' on some stuff UT and INF send or recv when playing online. I've searched the web and nothing came up. I've tried with- and without firewall ( blackice 2.5 ).
    I've updated my modem, nothing.
    I've checked my phonelines, nothing.
    I haven't tried it with another pc or another modem.

Today, I'm at peace with this what just can't be solved. The only bad thing is that I can no longer enjoy playing Infiltration online anymore because when i'm playing or while i'm playing, i'm just waiting for it to happen, pressing F1 every now and then to see if i'm starting to lag out already.

Before i had this adsl connection i used to play with my 33k6 modem. Needless to say that my connection never locked up then. It sucked, but it never locked up.

I don't know what to expect from this post but i guess i'm still hoping that somebody can help me out with this.

Kind regards,

Zeep.

2. Domino

Domino < Phoenix Rising >

Hmm... Well the only odd thing that happens to me SOMETIMES is that bug where the server-browser like "resets" and tries to ping all 5000+ UT servers out there.. which in turn lags the computer a lot.

I have no clue what your internet problem is, I would suggest calling your ISP's tech support number and get their view on what it might be.

Sometimes your connection settings may be out of whack, you can detect stalls, packet loss, router-problems, and other such things at http://www.dslreports.com/tools

You'll want to click the "Tweak Test" for that.

I think the most probable cause of your problem is a bad router en route to your house. This can occur randomly and without warning, so your ISP may come and inspect the routers.

When my connection crapped out, when they replaced the router to my connection it fixed it perfectly. But in your case, if the connection works just fine for everything BUT infiltration, then it might be something else.

If you want my proffesional opinion on your proposed course of action, I would definitely NOT switch back to analog modems for ANYTHING... NEVER... that's just me though. Adsl is something good, and 2.86 may fix your connection problems.

Why don't you ask Phatcat? He's an official tech support guy for Microsoft or something..

3. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

are u sure the problem is ur modem!? cuz on my amd k6-2 300, 64 mb ram inf lagges out 2 after a few maps... if u have 64 mb ram or less, buying more ram will help! i can almost play 4 ever since ive got 192 mb ram! atleast i hope so :)

4. zeep

thanks domino, i'm over at dslreports now to do some reading and perhaps change my mtu.
    The problem can't really be a router i think because my other multiplayergames works just fine.

Perhaps it's a setting in a router or my modem regarding some ports used by inf and ut. But i dont know nothing about ports. But that's from the top of my head and it's more cries for help i guess.

I'll see if i can get word out to phatcat :)

Rostam, i've had 128mb (133) up until a few days ago when i added 256 (133) so i think ram isn't the problem.

:(

5. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

remover Communications and re-add it

6. zeep

what specific communications do you mean? stuff like tcp/ip?

7. ramon

ramon Junior Member

contact your ISP/ADSL provider. i had the same problem long ago, and another one that reported me UT servers instead of INF ones. all the sh1t came of a bad router. my cable provider is cool, i phoned them in sunday, two hours later i had a technician in my house, and an hour more and it was solved :) a damned burned router

8. ramon

ramon Junior Member

i forgot, all other inet things (download sppeed, browsing, subspace, quake, the opera/half-life, AvP, Delta Force 1 worked fine. only UT was crapping outta itself, with ping peaks of 35000 and 450% packet loss.

9. zeep

.. the only problem is that my isp and my adsl provider are 2 different companies. that's the way adsl works here in the netherlands. the phoneline part up to some distance belongs to A, and the line from there up to the oh so beloved backbone belongs to B. I've spoken to both of them more than once and B always directs me to A because the router problem should be on their side and A always tries to send me to B first and after i spill my guts and more at the evasive person on the phone he tells me to keep a diary of what happens when and how long it takes and all that.
    Now, of course i wouldn't mind doing that ( like i don't have any other things to do in my life like work or social contacts ) but this person also stated that A will probably sit on their ass until more people report the similar problem. And by this time in our conversation he has told me numerous already that A doesn't support online gaming. When i ask him what else is there? He actually can crack a smile.
    But seriously, i told him that online gaming is nothing more than me connection to a server and sending packages of data back and forth so that is what the internet is all about. He then sighs and goes back to teling me that A will sit on their ass until more people report similar problems in my area. My area being somewhat of a ghetto / immigrant part of town ( as i am myself so no i'm far from rascist ) having slightly less pc owners/serious multiplayer gamers as the more 'rich' parts of my city.

Anyway.

Crap.

Is there any way i can extensively test a router ( belonging to company A or B ) from my home?
    I think the more facts i can spill at these guys the better of i'll be.

One tiny question. The tweak test on http://www.dslreports.com/tools told me to set my MTU at 1492. I downloaded an util from there to do this ( DRTCP019.exe ). But where in my registry exactly are these changes made? And i have the feeling that since i changed this number, my online gaming somehow feels different. Not the ping but more the level updates and stuff. When i'm moving fast ( strafe jumping :) ) i feel like the level surrounding me doesn't keep up as good as it always did. But right now i feel like an old man who does nothing but complain about everything so i'll hush up.

10. ramon

ramon Junior Member

yep, you can test your routers from dslreports, there are plenty of different test for routers, just do it all, and see what reports.

11. paulus

paulus New Member

Same problem

Hey zeep,

I live in Amsterdam and have a ADSL mxstream xs4all connection, i suspect that you have the same. My problem is that when i play UT on the internet that my connection just stops after 15 or so minutes. When close the game and go to my desktop i c that the little pc on the tray keeps receiving data and NOT transmiting data. When i goto my Alcatel speedtouch home i c the same thing constantly receiving data and NO transmit, its really weird ive got this problem sinds april/may. Ive tried contacting xs4all and mxstream but like u said before the one blames the other and your still stuck with the problem. I have this connection problem sinds i got myself a new PC AMD VIA platform my dad has a Intell platform and when i try too play UT on there i dont have the problem. So that tells me its my system and not the modem.

i would like to ask you what you tried to do to solve the problem.

please e-mail me here paulus_1980@hotmail.com

greetings

12. zeep

Anyone in the Netherlands has the same problem?

Just wondering if there are more people in the Netherlands with the same problem that me and Paulus have.
    Please respond here.

This bug seems to be related to the mobo ( amd via ) ( i have an asus K7V ) and the adsl connection / modem.

Don't mean to keep bumping this but you can imagine i'd like to find a way to play inf online for more than a few rounds and then reboot & start over every time.

13. MadWoffen

MadWoffen Soon! ©

@Paulus: I already had this weird problem and it happens randomly. But I can't really complain because considering the time I play, I can't say it was too problematic (too few crashes).
    Not sure but when the program crashes (and it can happen to everyone), the server may still be connected and sent some remote lost stuff ?!?

For my part, I also have a USB Alcatel SpeedTouch (1.2Mb/128Kb) but as far as I know, I nevere encountered the problem of Zeep.
    (PIII 667 & Win98SE).

Why don't you resiliate from your ISP and go to a competitor ?

14. zeep

well paulus and myself both have different ISP's, paulus has XS4ALL and i have EURONET.

It's about certain that the problem is caused by the amd via mobo / adsl alcatel speedtouch home combo.

15. Sweep

Sweep New Member

I didn't notice if you said you've already tweaked the recieve window (rwin) and MTU settings. If not that would be a great place to start. First off run the tweak tester proggie at dslreports and post the link to the page so I can see the results. After that go ahead and get the medium rwin patch from dslreports.com for whatever operating system you have. Then read the section on MTU and set that was well. I don't think bad tweak problems would cause the connection to crash like that, but fixing all the tweak settings will help the online play quality before it locks up at least...

You mention looking at the systray for a connection icon. So you use a PPPoE proggie (meaning you have a little window popup where you enter in a login and password and hit connect or whatever) to connect to your connection I assume? If so, which program is it? (WinPoet, Enternet 300, etc) IF you are using PPPoE to connect I would try using a different program to connect, as that program may be having some kind of conflict with INF or the modem drivers, or something. Try RASPPPOE as it's free and is actually probably the best PPPoE software anyway... You can get it here http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

16. zeep

i'm gonna try the raspppoe :)

i'll let you know

17. Harry_C

Harry_C Getting old ... and drunk

Well one of my friend had a similar problem with a USB Alcatel modem/VIA mobo.
    It seems that the modem needs more electric power than the chipset can give.
    Since he bought a USB hub with a separate power supply everything went fine.
    Or you can ask your provider to give you an ethernet ADSL modem.
    I think you should get the lastest VIA 4in1 though...

18. zeep

hm i got the latest 4in1 and it's not an usb modem.

19. zeep

hey Sweep,

after some research i learned that here in Holland we don't have pppoa or pppoe but pppt. That goes for all dsl users in holland. I've been looking but i haven't found any substitute for this VPN / PPPT connection..

20. zeep

I'M HAPPY!! Final post :)

My dear forum-friends,

After 2 weeks of testing I can now say for certain that my problem is solved!!

First, let me thank all of you who tried to help me and who gave me advice and i also thank those who read all these posts, gave it some really good thought, and couldn't come up with something to help me.

I can now finally enjoy hours and hours of Infiltration and (/very small font) other UT mods.

Thank you all!!

The solution.

The solution is very simple. It's an upload bug.
    Due to a 'bug' in the win98 (SE) Netpptp.sys (VPN) driver, uploading can cause the connection to 'lock' up.

I replaced the win98se Netpptp.sys with the winME one and never had a lockup again.

Microsoft doesn't support this solution and neither do ISP's.

You can get it here: (unofficially because it's probably a copyright violation offering drivers from winME on the web)
    http://www.adsl-online.net/downloads/pafiledb.php?PHPSESSID=&action=viewcat&id=7

The reason q3a never locked my connection up was simply because UT uploads more than q3a.

I'm just so happy now. After having this problem for so long it's even weird to be able to play inf online for more than an hour :)

thanks again!