1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The DaVinci Flop....errr Code, I mean

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hanover_Fist, May 17, 2006.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Well, saw the movie and I thought it was awesome. It was well paced, the music was awesome, the characters were believable...

Though if you read the book...
    the end was quite a bit different, but I think it was better than the boring fizzled out ending of the book

2. Sirius

Sirius Meh

Don't listen to critics

Saw the movie tonight and I agree with Sir_Brizz's opinion about the ending.

While there is too much hype regarding this book and subsequent movie people are of the opinion that it's all utter fiction. For those of you who would like to know more about the theories (the real ones that is) then read Holy Blood Holy Grail by by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, Henry Lincoln and The Passover Plot by by Hugh J. Schonfield. Don't base your opinions on a book of fiction (although a lot of people base their faith on one).

*Disclaimer* No I'm not bashing religion and no I don't think the Di Vinci Code is real.

3. namu

namu Bleh.

Or yet even better, read Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" ;)

4. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

Your right, It's absolutely crazy to make a movie based on ficiton, What were they thinking? o_O

As far as the book goes the only part i know of is when someone showed me one fo the "Riddles", she showed it to me and asked what it said so i said. "Fine get me a mirror" and she was unimpressed, aparently the Professional Cryptologist and Symbol..... guy spent ages on this, THE simplest puzzle in the world, hence why i didn't read it, just seemed stupid, thankfully the movie wasn't as silly.

I saw it last night though, I thought it seemed like a perfectly good movie. The actual "revelations" that i was informed of seemed a bit mediocre. I mean nearly everything mentioned in the movie i kinda already knew to be honest. The only bit i didn't like was the moment with the dove but... the rest seemed fine and made for a perfectly stable evenings viewing.

It's not an epic movie but not all movies have to be and if your going for "Revelations" you might as well go see the movie Dogma because, they pretty much say all the same things but have a laugh while they're at it.

5. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

I liked End of Days better. You know, the one where Arnold the Governator fights Satan with a machine gun.

6. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

The problem with the story, and this may be why some people are taking such umbrage with it, is that while it's a decently-woven conspiracy-theory movie and a good yarn of fiction, someone may want to actually tell the author that:

The book was a vehicle for him to try and popularize gnosticism in mainstream America. I don't know what's stranger about the phenomenon, that it turned out to be so poorly written, or that it took off the way it did. Although the Left Behind books sold like crazy, and those aren't exactly Dostoevsky either.

Anyway, people don't need to get in such a dander about a story based on heretical texts that were weeded out centuries ago, hidden daVinci messages that aren't really there, and some kook from the 60's who thought he was Jesus' 80x-great-grandwhatever.

:edit: Proph, I'm assuming you were being facetious there. I signed on to most of Arnold's recent sci-fi-action-thriller-cum-philosophical-underpinning, e.g. Eraser, Sixth Day, but that one was just too much. That to me was a low point in suspension of disbelief equal to Captain Kirk vs. God in ST5.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  7. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

I guess this si sarcasm but, that is one of the worst movies i've ever had the disfortune to see, in fact as i remember it, it was the worst.

8. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

Worse than The Mosquito Coast? Worse than The Beach? :eek:

9. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

I read the book ages ago and thought it was pretty good, but I like conspiracy theories and Grail myths.

Saw the movie yesterday. After what the critics said I was expecting it to suck but it didn't and the music was good.

Personally the way the film worked I think it was really targetting people who had already read the book and knew the punchlines. Generally it was a good ride but I still don't know about Hanks, I never saw him playing in the role of Langdon. That being said the film did bring the characters to life Hollywood style, the locations were great to see and they managed to cram the word "oppression" into the script in a number of places so the movie wasn't without subtext although it was pretty subtly delivered.

I could probably see it again.

10. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

They made a movie out of a contraversial best-selling novel. Those are two good reasons right there to make it into a movie.

Thunderbirds rocked, by the way. ;)

11. Gorzakk

Gorzakk Scorpion Powah!

We'll let the coming weeks decide if it was a good idea. But there are plenty of other books that could be made into film with a much greater chance of success IMO.