1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The DaVinci Flop....errr Code, I mean

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hanover_Fist, May 17, 2006.

1. Hanover_Fist

Hanover_Fist Hero

That's the funny thing, I've seen more documentary's on the life and times of Jesus on AE, History Channel and Discovery than ever before. It seems that television has caught on to the fact that Jesus is popular, and films about him can make you a gazillionare (Mel Gibson). Too bad Hollywood is too stupid (or stubborn) to figure out that most american christians are fairly affluent, and would turn out in droves to see films that are accurately based on the new testament, or the old testament for that matter. I guess Hollywood is not really about the money.

2. thewalkingman

thewalkingman ssssssssssss bugger!

I hear Wilson has been casted as Jesus.

[​IMG]

3. togmkn

togmkn tog-em-kay-en

Yeah, but The Beatles are bigger than Jesus.

Someone had to say it.

4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Well, ironically, the most acclaimed movies are often the ones the critics don't like. Thus we see a bunch of worthless no-name movies in the Academy Awards and Oscars, while the popular good movies get no press. I'm sure I'll like the movie as long as they didn't screw anything up from the book, but I'm really just hoping they have a good soundtrack.

5. Sirius

Sirius Meh

If you like Hans Zimmer you'll like it. It was released on the 9th and I got my copy. I like it.

6. namu

namu Bleh.

I remember reading one page of it over someone's shoulder in the train once. It was trying to tie in two different deities from two different ancient cultures, Amon( they forgot the epithet "Ra", BTW) the egyptian god of the Sun, and Lisha, some random deity from a totally different era and country, into having been mixed into "Mona Lisa" (Amon Lisha) by Leonardo, even though no one at Leonardo's time could read egyptian hieroglyphs, let alone know about the other ancient deity, even though there are historical traces of the Mona Lisa person portrayed by Leonardo, it simply was an utterly ridiculous attempt at hammering a square peg in a round hole.

I just thought "if that's the quality of the rest of the supposed 'revelations' the book makes, then no thanks, I'll go read 'Fingerprints of the Gods' instead for non-garbage-quality conspiracy theories."

7. sid

sid I posted in the RO-me thread
    and all I got was
    a pink username!

There is no reason for christian groups to get worked up about a flick like this, after all its just a retelling of ones "FICTIONAL" thoughts!

8. DeeperShade

DeeperShade Banned

How would you turning out to not be a raving zealot ****pump disappoint me? :)

9. Reign

Reign The only candy with the Petey crunch

I'm just waiting for the book's sequel to come out. I think it's suppose to be called The Hasidim Code, How Hitler almost saved the world. The author was quoted as saying "No, no it's not anti Semitic you see. It's only fiction."

10. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

The big reason The Church and fundamental Christian groups are trying to boycott the movie is because they realize many (most) people are stupid, and are afraid they'll suddenly have to start answering dumb questions about Jesus' love-life and sh!t. Apparently, it's not enough to tell everyone it's fictional and big chunks of the book don't work (ie the Priory, the Rose Line going nowhere near that one church), because people are still flocking to locations mentioned in The Da Vinci Code, clutching their copies and going "oooohhh".

11. Thrash123

Thrash123 Obey Leash Laws

This just makes me think of Scientology.

12. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

I was amazed at how much the book sucked, considering how popular it was. And if good books usually turn into mediocre movies, what does a bad book turn into? :/

13. FaT CaM

FaT CaM Not much...

I think the problem is alot of people havent read the book anyway, so if someone at the theatre goes HEY THIS IS BASED ON FACTS they'll like, totally believe them!

14. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

At least it's good for tourism, right?

15. BITE_ME

BITE_ME Bye-Bye

KVHS gave me free tickets to see it. I might go this weekend.

16. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

harry potter 1, 2, 3, 4...

17. Rocket_Magnet

Rocket_Magnet All I need is a certain trigger

I'll go see it just for the hype,

but personally i much preferred angels&demons to da vinci... da vinci seemed far less "action"

18. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

You forgot the part where he didn't even name the painting Mona Lisa.

Put me down on the list of religious zealots not caring about the movie. If I wanted to see a thrilling race against time to find the Holy Grail, mixed with fantastical stories about the Knights Templar, I'd watch the Indiana Jones movie.

The convenient molding of twisted facts and anachronisms reminds me of another book I read, The Eight, by Katherine Neville. This was a fanastic story that wove characters across centuries of history, mingled with an exploration of the correlation between music, mathematics and chess. The only problem is that some of the metaphorical association of characters with various pieces breaks down if you know the history of the game. The axis around which the plot turns was a chess service, The Montglane, that was owned by Charlemagne, and there's some cryptography associated with the board and the pieces and the moves and stuff, and even if I could remember the details, it would be pointless to spell them all out. The point is, Charlemagne lived about 700 years before the modern rules of chess were adopted across Europe, and the queen in particular was played very differently than it is today. The way Charlemagne would have played chess would be vastly different, and therefore the code supposedly hidden within would not work if deciphered using today's rules.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, and I can understand the author wanting to peel away one or two unneeded layers of complexity to make the chess analogy work. It was just another example of how you can take something loosely based in real life, and square-peg it to make the pieces of your plot fit together in a way that reality inconviently does not allow.
    I read this and immediately thought of Sphere.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  19. Kaligraphic

Kaligraphic Charles leChaud is my hero

Googlefight says otherwise.

20. Gorzakk

Gorzakk Scorpion Powah!

Can anyone here whos actually seen this film tell us what you think of it? From all I've been hearing its about the most stinky think Tom Hanks has ever done and could be the worst film since Thunderbirds (although that is pushing it a bit).

I am wondering why they decided to make a film of the Davinci Code though. I mean its complete fiction and not even a compelling story. There are loads more novels out there begging to made into a movie. :confused: