The average time for an ONS match ...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
The average time for an ONS match on public servers has gradually decreased since the demo was released. Now, after a few weeks, a match usually doesn't take longer than 4-5 minutes.

I wonder if this is specific to Torlan or if it is a generic ONS problem with all maps in the full version.

If it's the latter, then this will quickly become a problem. :(

Also, the outcome of a game seems to have less and less to do with your personal skills. It's more like a random lottery if you end up on the team with more players. :mad::tup:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
In the last week or so I HAVE noticed that the matches are getting quicker. Some of it has to do with the fact that even in crowded servers only a few players are seriously playing. A lot of the time, I'll find that I can't play a support role of any kind, because no one will defend nodes... or they just drive around.

I think the wide open and small nature of Torlan make it a quicker map. Most of the retail maps are bigger and will take a little more time to overtake. Not to mention they are defended better.

No, I think it's a demo thing.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I just want to know why it is that there are so many games where one team just overruns the other. It must be that people still don't know how to play the game, and it only takes a couple of coordinated players to smash a half dozen players who don't have a clue.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
hal said:
I just want to know why it is that there are so many games where one team just overruns the other. It must be that people still don't know how to play the game, and it only takes a couple of coordinated players to smash a half dozen players who don't have a clue.

That could be said for any gametype, really. If all people know is "kill, kill, kill", then that won't get the team anywhere.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Well it does in dm/tdm/sorta as too hehe.

Assualt is the worst though for idiot teams... either they dont help and all snipe or dont know whats going on. IMO the devs are retards for putting some of these things in the as maps... drivable objectives and manable turrets that are important shouldnt be in at all... they just ruin the games sometimes.

Im gonna play a bit of ons, but i may wait a few weeks to play alot and let people learn wtf to do. For the meantime ill just rape newbs at assualt :)

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
hal said:
I just want to know why it is that there are so many games where one team just overruns the other.
I think this is a generic problem of ONS. In CTF both teams have the same amount of resources in their base to "feed" from. In ONS you get more resources as you control more nodes. This works like an amplifier for the team's skill. A stronger team becomes even stronger when it controls more nodes, which speeds up their progress. It's a downward spiral. In the end the stronger team rolls over the weaker team like an avalanche.

On top of this we got the same effects that we all know very well from CTF: As soon as one team starts losing, players from that team leave the server or even switch to the winning team.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
hal said:
It must be that people still don't know how to play the game, and it only takes a couple of coordinated players to smash a half dozen players who don't have a clue.
couldn't it be that most people don't care about how to play the game? makes more sense to me, and if this is so it would not be limited to the demo. let's wait and see how popular ONS is gonna be in 3/4 months.

Last edited:

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Tetris L said:
I think this is a generic problem of ONS. In CTF both teams have the same amount of resources in their base to "feed" from. In ONS you get more resources as you control more nodes. This works like an amplifier for the team's skill. A stronger team becomes even stronger when it controls more nodes, which speeds up their progress. It's a downward spiral. In the end the stronger team rolls over the weaker team like an avalanche.
Well, in CTF the stronger team will dominate the middle or even a good deal of the enemy base, effectively making use of the powerups of the enemy. It's not as "bad" as in ONS, but still, a stronger team in UT2004 CTF also has more ressources (not even talking about adrenaline).

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I still think there is a n00b factor to be ironed out (the game's less than 48 hrs old after all). I don't expect this imbalance to last, especially once they start making DM maps with vehicles, so the ppl who think running over someone is more fun than winning, will go back to DM.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
\/\/0RF said:
I still think there is a n00b factor to be ironed out
I don't think the fast games happen because of the newbs. Quite the opposite. When we were all still ONS newbies, games lasted a lot longer. Matches run quicker now that people understand how to play and win. Have you played any clanmatches on Torlan? Those are incredibly fast too. Even faster than games on public servers.

[FO]Crafty

heterolicious
Sep 22, 2003
switch to the winning team

ohh man I cannot stand it when people do that it pisses me off to no end I will divert my attention to killing them and them alone the entire rest of the game.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I don't get the full game until tomorrow. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but I have thought quite a bit about the ONS game mechanics lately so here we go:

ONS seems to be designed for a quick victory, battles needs to eventually flip in the advantage of one of the teams to decide a winner. In games where the nodes only change hands between the teams and neither gets the upper hand there is no development towards victory for either team and the game becomes pointless. Capturing nodes is only a means to attacking the core and as such there is only an indirect link between your teams actions and the outcome of the match.

Contrary to ONS, in BF there is a direct link between your teams actions and the outcome of the match, the tickets continuously count down and your teams score is decided on the development throughout the entire match.

Enough of the theory, guess I have to wait until tomorrow to see how things turn out:).