1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Texas bank

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Clutch, Mar 15, 2006.

1. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

The second you release something to the public, you retain a limited (unregistered) copyright to your work. For example, you take a photograph and publish it on your 'blog' or what have you - without registering it with the library of Congress. You automatically obtain a limited copyright, which gives you grounds to sue upon infringement. This is the extremely simplified 'cut & dry' version of the law - but hopefully, you have a better understanding now.

Actually, it is.

That is too.

That's your job, not ours. Most mappers place their contact information within their files.

You'd need their permission, but realistically, they probably wouldn't notice anyway. However, that doesn't make it 'right', or 'legal'.

If you can't obtain the permissions from a photographer to publish their photograph in your publication, simply because you didn't know where to look - that does not grant you permission to touch that I.P. You do not magically gain those rights. Just because it is publically available to you, does not mean that it's 'public domain'.

In most cases, they are one and the same.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  2. Clutch

Clutch New Member

well.. now that i know this community is full of crap and cant help anyway because they are idiots, i guess i wont ask anymore people to help me find someone to ask their permission to release this stinking map.

you know what, i might as well stop even working on this... clearly there is no support here, just some idiot going around correcting everything i say like he is a freaking college professor. look, this is not school work, you are a jerk, and it is getting old. also, the first thing you "corrected", wasnt about the mapper, IT was about the map. "Unless the map is under a copyright." and what's up with the heavy usage of apostrophes?

i am not going to work on this anymore. im done. we'll just stick to the crappy tacops version.

3. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

which is not true. You'll get a lot of support here, more then anywhere else if you ask nicely. But let me tell you what there is here: a set of commonly accepted rules. If you are not ready to accept these unwritten rules, rules that have been here long before you, you will not be welcomed and help will not come easily. If you had shown some good will with in contacting the original author instead of dening your wrong doing, you wouldn't even have had to ask for the mapper's email. Someone would probably have taken the time to dig it out all for you! But if you come along with such a negative attitude towards the forum standards, you are not likely to recieve a lot of help as such attitude is not appreciated here.

I don't think a map can have a copyright... the author of that map can, not the map itself (unless the map gets the right to copy itself... which would be freaky).

Anyway, I'm not here to do your education or give you a lecture on moral and social rules. Just give it some thought... don't even bother replying.

4. Clutch

Clutch New Member

do you not know how stupid that sounds? i have to accept "unwritten rules" that i have no way of knowing because they were here, long before i was. so, unless i accept what i do not know, i will not be welcomed or helped.

once again, sounds stupid. first, i havent released this so i have yet to do anything wrong. second, how do i contact someone i do not know how to contact? i wouldnt have had to ask how to contact him if i had just contacted him in the first place? finally, i havent done anything but said i was working on the map. then, i was clearly attacked and practically called a thief and a criminal. even when i ask how to contact him you ignore me!

a map can be UNDER a copyright.

to do my education? what? too bad i replied though. shame... just give it some thought, dont bother replying.

5. Bloodstorm

Bloodstorm shooting is fun

im posting this as a third party spectator, i know none of you (except clutch as he is my litle brother) so i have no biases about who i like or dislike.

first off, yeah, clutch should try to get permision from the origonal map maker, if posible. someone stated earlier that if the map maker couldnt be found that most people wouldnt bother releasing it, well that a bunch of bull. if he cant find the author then atleast he isnt giving himself credit for the map, mabey for acouple of fixes (which putting doors on movers so it plays beter in inf and re-lighting the map aint going to shift the credit of who made the map) but thats it. the sad thing is i read an other topic about a map and someone said "well if you cant get in contact with the person who made it then just go ahead and release it." (or something along that lines, same message)

another thing. everyone here keeps throwing it in his face that he needs to get permision. post after post i read is the same mumbo jumbo the last guy said but yet no ones tried to help, and the only reason he has taken offence to some of you is because of the fact that you keep repeating yourselves and arent helping out a fellow mapper, and inf player, who just wants to help the comunity grow.

clutch is trying hard to help make inf big again. he talks all the time about how he wants infiltration to grow, and then he trys something like making a classic more enjoyable and people keep throwing rules in his face. HELP HIM OUT!!!

he never said "screw you, i aint contacting him. im releasing this no matter what" he said clearly that if he knew how to contact him he would try, and then later said if anyone knew how to contact him then help him out, and all some of you have done is repeat yourselves.

@ crackwhore: dude, stop being a pain and quoting him to "fix" his post. if you think stuff is wrong, good for you, but keep it to yourself. just because you've been here longer doesnt mean you can be a jerk.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  6. chuckus

chuckus Can't stop the bum rush.

All I have to say Clutch, regardless of your age, these forums require a level of maturity (not in the pron sense) to utilize. Yes we do "childish" things but there is an irnoic twist to it that you can't seem to fathom which gives guys like Cracwhore (and myself to an extent) a giggle with joy at the fact you're clueless about it.

I've seen people come and go and the biggest reason that people get so frustrated here is pride. On these boards it's not your bark that creates the pecking order it's bite.

If you'd just stop being defensive, and stop trying to be right all the time, just admit for one second you made a mistake and stop trying to "fight us", I guarantee you'll see a 180 difference in everyones demeanor with you. We don't have "flame wars" we have debates. We don't fight for who's the most l337 or who's got first post and all the bullshiat.

Just let your guard down, talk to people nicely and don't be shy and you'll see things go a lot smoother. 90% of my posts have horrible grammar but Crac doesn't go around correcting my ****. Tha'ts because I, as Geo said, follow forum standards and just like talking to any human being it's common sense.

However just in case here's some tips I picked up while on these boards, and trust me, they're universal and will help you dominate most other forum boards.

-If someone disagrees with you, make sure you consider and reflect on their post long and hard because we don't just post random bull****. Usually the first post is a jab and the follow through comes after you make a mistake. (See Yurch vs Keganator) Normally against a normal INF forumer it can be tricky to do this but since you just ramble on with excuses you are always going to look like an ass. Think about what they say and if it makes sense research it and have the humility to admit you were wrong.

-Pride is your enemy. Renounce pride. The more your grab on to random crap to make a useless face saving point, the more Crac appears to correct your posts. And he is VERY thorough.

- In my experience, the vets on this board seem to all be accredited Psychologists, Physicists, Theologens and weapons experts. I don't know how but I do know that by being here I've picked up a lot of information that has been useful to me on a personal and intellectual level. Read what they have to say and learn from it.

- DO NOT.... and I'll say again DO NOT play the victim or you will be victimized. And that's exactly what you're doing. Everyone here had the good sense to not play the victim card. We just spoke our mind when it made sense to. That's why we get along so well. That's really what conversation is all about.

-the Search button is your friend. Both the Inf boards' and google's. This is double edged sword as it can save you from being flamed and it can also help you call bullshiat on someone else's post. Example : google search Copyright laws, intellectual property etc.

As we say in the army, Man up, Suck it up or get in the rear with gear. Cuz I'm sorry to say but you are the one acting like a child here and that is why you are being treated as such. The sooner you admit that the sooner you find this a welcoming place. And even if you ARE young, someone give him Geno Of the Crayon's age and we'll leave it at that.

7. Clutch

Clutch New Member

thanks. although, texas bank was never a classic in inf, but, that's why im making it better.

relighting the map definantly isnt going to shift the credit. only thing it will do is reduce lag. the way the people talk about texas bank, spooger would be begging me to make it better. personally i like the map, but i hate the gameplay of the map. it has to many spawn advantages and disadvantages.

this was said about a DS map. so if i try to contact spooger (even if i am unsure that it is the right guy) and he does not respond, then i can go ahead and release it? i know this probably has something to do with the lack of response from TBT tho..

i will release this map anyway. i dont have a way to contact spooger so i will release it. if i get contacted by spooger, i sincerely doubt it, an he wants me to get it off of servers then i will do it. but, until i can contoct him or he contacts me, this project will go as planned. thank you.

@ chuckus: im not a pansy. i stick up for myself, and when push comes to shove, i shove. also, you just described everyone arguing with me. you post was very hypocritical and controdicting.

first you say you have to have maturity, then you talk about being immature.

my pride? first of all, it is all of your pride that is the problem. you are to proud to hear that you have problems and to proud to hear that you may be the problem.

defensive - you guys, right all the time - you guys, fighting me - you guys. as i said i am not a wussy, i will not act like one to get the respect from crazy people who are a part of the community and dont even play. you fight like liberals: you attack things unrelated to the subject at hand (grammar), you say things to try to get everyone on your side, you repeat yourselves, and the list goes on...

first paragragh: that's you, not me.

second paragragh: good idea, maybe tell that to the people who need it (CRAC).

third paragragh: fortunatley, i am immune to this problem. where you see brains and facts, i see factuated oppinions.

fourth paragragh: im not acting like a victim, and i was the one who spoke MY mind. lot of good it did me.

fifth paragragh: i dont need to spend an hour researching to make a point.

last paragragh: dont you dare start acting like i am inferior. yes, im younger, in fact, im 15. but what is sad is that i look at everything you people say, and you are clearly older than me, and i see immaturity and stupidity. i've dealt with worse people than you before. although they were worse, they were not as stubborn. i have had this lil team tactic thing pulled on me before, frankly, im not intimmidated.

the fact that you people even would take such an approach to this situation sickens me. one old-timer disagrees with me and all of you kiss his butt just to stay on the good side of those people. it is pathetic. until you all realize that, dont even bother posting all this crap. no one is making me read this. most of you dont even play inf anymore. on the servers i am treated with respect with exceptions of a few people. why dont you all MAN UP, and act like adults.

just to let you all know. the tdm people, have much better character than all of you.

8. geogob

Wow! Nice post. You got me there. I don't know what to say. You won. Congratulations.

Actually. No. Not really. But lets do a Myth Buster night... I don't really like the TV show, it's 99% stupid, but still entertaining to watch from time to time. :lol:

"unwritten rules" that i have no way of knowing because they were here, long before i was

First, not knowing a rule is totally acceptable when we are not referring to a rule imposed by law. Not knowing the law is never an excuse. Not knowing a rule can be excusable (especially when it's a none-written one or a specific interpretation of a rule). But once you are told, and that multiple times, there is no more excuses.

Myth Busted!

--

so, unless i accept what i do not know, i will not be welcomed or helped.

Again, now you know. And for what you don't know, you will be told. Then you will, like all other things we told you, ignore it and still look like a clown.
    But you might be welcomed by some and even get some help. Especially, again, if you ask nicely and politely.

Myth Busted!

--

i was clearly attacked and practically called a thief and a criminal.

No one called you neither a thief nor a criminal nor attacked you. You where simply reminded of something often forgotten or ignored nowadays. I think this reminder was in order. But calling that an attack?

Myth Busted!

--

even when i ask how to contact him you ignore me!

You never asked nicely. I could even add that you never asked.

Myth semi* Busted!

* Missed the last part of post #19. I guess I started replying to the first part without reading it entirely. My bad.
    --

a map can be UNDER a copyright.

Let me remind you that you originally said in post #15:
    To which cracwhore cleverly replied in post #21:
    But then you didn't like his answer (see post #22):

So "It" was about the map then. Fine, Cracwhore was wrong (he often is), but so were you because you said "it has" by referring, as you say, to the map itself.
    I felt the need to set things up (with a touch of humor) by saying in post #23:

Regardless of this none offensive statement on the use of the word copyright, you said in post #24:

which got me confused after re-reading your quote from post #15. Cracwhore was then right after all.

Myth Busted

--

to do my education?

Yes you are right. I have no idea either what I was talking about. You clearly know all about live in our society, copyright and law, language, syntax and orthography, good manners and politeness. Who could have though you are lacking good education? Sorry about that...

Myth Busted!

EDIT: Nice! Insta-posted 3 times! That's a new record :p

EDIT 2: Corrected myth #4.

9. chuckus

This thread goes great with hot dogs. Really entertaining. (out of ketchup so I'm using HP sauce... not my first choice but it gets the job done).

Golf Clap on the myth busters theme. I noticed since we can't get the point across, might as well beat the dead horse in style.

10. geogob

IIRC, that case was a little different. TBT is not Spoonger. TBT are all or where well established INF community members and we know them very well. Odie was very close to them and always was active in testing with these guys (mostly due to the fact that NTKB and The One were in GD at that time). So he knows something when he is making that assumption, an assumption we cannot make about Spoonger will (well, I can't).

Very often, mappers will ask you to send your version of the map for "approval" before releasing it. Other might not care or might refuse you use their work. That is why we ask.

Speaking of asking, you still didn't ask for Spoonger's contact ;)

11. cracwhore

Don't forget, geo, he is well-versed in the arts of Typography as well.

Quite a resume our little friend has...

12. Bloodstorm

ok ok ok guys, lets just stop throwing the rule book at each other and stop constantly debatting back and forth about this and getting no were even close to solving the problem about contact info for slooger.

the title of the topic is texas bank, not copywright for dummies. instead of trying to make each other to understand their side, let try and act like civilized people and work together to find a solution.

now im sure some of you have played texas bank and have had the same issues with it as the next person. im sure clutch's fixes will be apreciated by some of you. so, instead of battling back and forth till this turns into a lfame thread about each others moms, lets try to solve the problem.

edit: i hate when you reply to a post and then you post and 3 other post are already made. :p

13. cracwhore

I'm sorry, what's the problem?

14. Bloodstorm

does anyone here know spooger or a way to contact him?

15. chuckus

16. Clutch

Clutch New Member

lol, you listen to him... this is great.. makes me sick.

17. chuckus

18. Clutch

Clutch New Member

did you happen to notice the last update?

19. Bloodstorm

its cause im good.....:lol:

20. Clutch

Clutch New Member

i'll try this, thanks for helping... if i dont get a response i am sill going on with my project.