1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Texas bank

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Clutch, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch New Member

im working on the tacops map texasbank. im going to be changing a few things, i have already started on some but still have a little bit to go.

List of changes:
    all mover doors have the grab key option in place of having to bump into the doors.
    all normal doors that are set open and are not movers are going to be changed to movers for realism.
    railings can be jumped over
    ropes can be jumped over
    reducing the amount of lights (reduce lag) and deleting unnecissary actors (lights, doubled zoneinfos, etc.)
    Getting rid of unnecissary geometry (cant be seen, does nothing)
    Made handrails on stairs up against walls so that they are not floating

i may change more things as i go, if you want anything i have not mentioned changed, please tell me so i can change them.

To don: if you want me to help you with the tacops conversion project, i can make this part of it. (also, clean out your private messages, i cant send you anything... ;) )

2. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

If I could suggest... work of Texas Bank ][ which much much much much much (etc.) bette then the original one.

3. sir_edmond

sir_edmond In my own world

4. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

edit : instaposted twice. I suck at the internet.

5. sir_edmond

sir_edmond In my own world

now there is something you dont see everyday.

Thank God.:lol:

6. Clutch

Clutch New Member

i'll check it out, but i am still fixing this

Edit:
    umm... im not going to waste my time on that... the addons don't fit the bank theme or look very good. besides it is already fixed.. i'll stick to the original, i know fool server has the non inf fixed version, im sure they'd rather have my fix.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  7. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

How about a way to get on the roof, then break the glass and enter through the skylight?

Are you going to add any new areas?

Also, don't use that crappy remade version of Texasbank. The additions in that look terrible and UT-ish.

8. Clutch

Clutch New Member

no, im not adding on, i was considering it, but i just want to quickly get this finished and move on to another one of my mapping projects so that i can get them all finished and start working on making infiltration maps. also, as i said above, im not doing anything with texasbankII.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  9. Clutch

Clutch New Member

a lil update. i was having some problems with the doors but i fixed it and am going to start moving on to other parts (relighting, fixing textures, etc.). i am done with the doors for now. i made all the doors that were movers so that you have to use grab key to open and changed other doors that were not movers before to be movers. this will help with early deaths because of unfair spawn points. the vault door that is usually propped open is also a mover. it looks a bit cheesey when you shoot it because the decals stay on the clear parts, but i couldnt do anything about that. im making all textures that parts are supposed to be invisible actually invisible so that they are not black. i'll get this out as soon as possible.

10. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I don't understand, i thought you decided not to work on texasbank because Odie already did it ?

11. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

For future reference, if you want to make changes to, or modify a map made by others, you will need to obtain their permission to do so if you plan on releasing it.

I guess that goes without saying though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2006
  12. Clutch

Clutch New Member

IT ISNT TEAXASBANKII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is original texas bank. odie did not edit this one! gah...

13. AlmostAlive

Sigh. There is no need to yell. Notice the phrase "for future reference". Nowhere did I claim that Odie is the original maker. I was of course referring to the original maker of the map, or any map that that you, or anyone else for that matter, would want to make changes to.

Please don't turn into NTKB, version 2, who would see everything as a personal attack on himself.

14. geogob

This is regardless of if you are modifing TexasBank 1, 2, 3, 1000, ]iii[ or anything for that matter... If you want to edit and release something made my someone else, you need to get that person's appoval... which you will most likely get if you ask nicely.

What Almost pointed out was just an informative remark because this is often forgotten. No need to be jumpy ;)

EDIT: FYI, DM-TexasBank author was Spooger IIRC.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  15. Clutch

Clutch New Member

@ almost: i was talking to ant75

i wouldnt know how to contact the person... people edit other people's maps all the time. doesnt matter unless it has like a copyright or something. if i knew how to contact the person or something i would probably do it.

16. AlmostAlive

Well, it's not a matter of copyright or not, it's a matter of showing people the respect they, and their hard work, deserve.

17. geogob

What Almost said is true, it is not a question fo copyright. But then again, it is because copyright protection applies to the map. So not only would it be immoral and unethical, it would be illegal to modify and publish the map as far as I am concerned (that is, without the original author consent). Rights like the right to create derivative works are exclusive to the author.

Of course, I doupt the author would sue you in civil court for modifying his map, but it still matters.
    Now, I do understand that it might be hard to contact a mapper on the internet, but you could at least try ;)
    Maybe start by asking here if someone has his email...

I think this is a minimum respect you could show the original mapper (and to the law). The fact that "people edit other people's maps all the time" is irrelevant. It doesn't make it right. In other communities it might pass unoticed... here not.

18. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So you're actually using an old version of the map to make changes that have already been made to the latest version ?
    I'm usually not the one to discourage people from mapping, but i'm sure you could use your skills for something more... mmm... useful ?

19. Clutch

Clutch New Member

absolutely not. texasbankII is completely different. this one is not edited for inf, nor is it fixed. actually it is not illegal. if it were illegal to change a map, then it would be illegal to take maps from another game or mod and put them on a different game or mod. im not ripping the map, i am not going to put my name as map author. i will put edited by clutch though so that all of the blame of it not being good, which it is going to be good, will be on me.

by all means, if someone can help me contact this person, do so. but i highly doubt this person even plays ut, or tac ops, or whatever texasbank was on first. i am also fixing textures. do i have to contact the person who made the textures as well? that will be a little difficult, dont you think?

thanks..

20. chuckus

chuckus Can't stop the bum rush.

Look I love sticking up for the underdog here but you're really not giving me a lot ot work with.

It has nothing to do with "but i highly doubt this person even plays ut" or whether you're not gonna put your name on as author, just editor (which by the way is ILLEGAL just like taking maps from other games or mods is ILLEGAL without consent).

Burning music is illegal. Taping a show on TV is illegal and so is dubbing one Commercial cassette tape to another. But we do it anyway (used to in the case of tapes). When it comes to big corporations, yes we tend to be laissez faire about it but you have to understand the UT modding community and especially the INF community have a very strict honor code. People violate it all the time that's their perogative and it's yours as well but expect backlash and to be blacklisted for it. You've seen Geo work hard on the W.P.s. You've seen many mappers here toil away on their original creations. You've seen mutie makers code like theirs no tomorrow. They are the ones telling you "it's not cool" and you're completely ignoring them!

Look as one community member to another, yes you are being targeted as a noob and attacked. But people like Geo and Almost are the Nice guys so when thery say something listen. It's for your own good. The more you play victim all the time the more they're gonna **** on you. And here's a hint *THE REAL WORLD IS LIKE THAT TOO!!!! OMG!!!!!111!!1

Proclaiming excuses as to why you can't contact this person doesn't win our respect. In fact if any one of these guys couldn't contact the author, chances are, they just wouldn't edit the map. End of story.