1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

terrain

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Fortran, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Fortran

Fortran Despite the name, I can't code.

How do I make hilly outdoor terrain? I would assume using the "BSP based terrain" option, but how do I get it to deform like I want it? I do have terrained, but I am still learning it and was wondering if it could be done in UED. Thanks.

2. Hourences

Hourences New Member

3. rmcollins3

rmcollins3 AKA "Doublez-Down"

there are hundreds of threads on this subject, you may want to do a search for the various methods people use. i have used max, terraedit, the bsp terrain editor, and tesselated cubes. personally, i think using tesselated cubes is the easiest way to make terrain without getting bsp errors and bad lighting anomolies. here's how i get started:

subtract a huge cube - give it whatever texture you want - won't matter

start adding big tesselated cubes (same as a regular cube, just set btesselated to true) with rock or ground textures to make your terrain. then use the same method to add mountains and rocks, etc.

terraedit is better for making "round" hills and such, but it is difficult to align the textures and can create bsp holes easily

max is way too expensive for the average user, and doesn't really make much better terrain imo

the terrain editor is fine too, but i think it's easier to see what is going on using tesselated cubes

good luck...this is so long because i went through MANY headaches before I could make decent looking terrain - thought I'd save you some.

4. neoduck

neoduck Member

i should try those tesselated cubes, sounds like a good idea :)

5. Hourences

Hourences New Member

ermmmm, if you are saying that those cheap tools like terra edit or the bsp terrain brush can create better terrain then 3dsmax, then pls jump out of the window
    those tools are way to slow, it takes you 8 days to get a mountain, and its still cubic and ugly
    in max i can make an high poly terrain in less then an hour you know ...

6. namu

namu Bleh.

Vertex-Editing + BSP = BSP holes & HOMs :eek:

Best method is probably to model it in a mesh-oriented 3D editor and import it as a brush.

7. namu

namu Bleh.

Here's an example of what you can get in an hour with a mesh-editor:

8. purice

purice coon dog

making nice looking terrain with terraedit isn't too difficult. keeping the brushes from causing bsp holes is next to impossible.

9. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

w00h00! OsX!
    BTW, how do you get the Classic-style buttons on the Aqua window title bar?

10. namu

namu Bleh.

That's an Aqua theme, but i cannot remember where i found it :(

11. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

AOL only runs on OS 9 so I haven't switched to X yet :(
    Just downloaded meshwork, looks ace. Must get myself a USB mouse, trackpad is a bit of a killer for graphics...

12. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Problem is you still can't get anything even remotely as good looking as you could with 3d studio max.

They have another program out like 3dmax, I forget the name, it has max in it, but I here it's very similar.

If it is, then you can check out my tutorial at http://www.planetunreal.com/maverick/tutorials/tut_3dmaxterrain/tut_3dmaxterrain.html
    Hope this helps you, it teaches you how to make realistic Unreal style terrain in 3d studio max. Not one of those tutorials that tells you how to make terrain in general, but rather terrain specifically for Unreal. Works great! :)

13. Fortran

gmax, maybe? Basically a stripped-down version of 3dsmax, but a lot easier on the wallet :) I will see if there is a UT plugin for it, as I know there is one for Q3, so there had better be one for UT. That would be nice.

14. neoduck

neoduck Member

um... i dont think there is a UT pluggin for it... but if u can find 1, then great, ill use it for sure. Gmax is very similar to 3dsMax but it cant do rendered shots or anything like that, but its perfect for modeling and stuff.

15. rmcollins3

rmcollins3 AKA "Doublez-Down"

well, max is obviously the best choice for making terrain....if you've got the funds, but not many people have that much money to blow on making models and such, so without max, i like the tesselated cubes best.

16. WheatPuppet

WheatPuppet Corriganism

I use the 2d shape editor.
    Take, for example, that island a few posts back. The way I would build that same island would be to plan out the island across mant various blocks of different purposes. Sometimes it is hard to get the textures to line up properly which is the reason I use many, many blocks. Once I extrude the a block, I vertex edit the block into the needed, natural-looking shape.
    The reason I use this technique is that the 2d shape editor builds the primary side of your block with triangles. Triangles will not produce a HOM effect or BSP holes, mainly because three points (a triangle) are always coplanar, which is the cause of most HOM effects when using vertex editing.
    I know it isn't the best way of getting natural terrain, but it certainly doesn't require me plunking down exorbitant amounts of money on a program I really don't want.
    What's a copy of 3ds max going for these days? I know that it is being sold for more than 300% its actual value (as any "industry standard" software inevitably sells for).

17. Akuma

Akuma Deacon Massif

doesnt matter what you use to make it, terrain in UT will always look 'wrong' on account of the lighting but making it in a 3rd party modelling program (preferably max for the handy-dandy import tools) will be a lot quicker than dealing with ued's horrific vertex editing & you'll be able to uvw map it with nice seamless textures :)

don't use terraedit whatever you do, it's crap. Ued's terrainbrush/tesscubes are a much better idea, although it'll take a bit longer.

18. namu

namu Bleh.

It's been 2 months that AOL runs on OS X ;) You're late !

BTW Mesh-editors work with triangles, so you don't get HOMs.

19. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

I thought that was only in the US. (I'll check :) )

The surefire way to get lovely terrain is... wait for Unreal 2 :p

20. Fortran

On, not that much, just $4,000!

So many ways to make terrain. BTW, is there any way to get cube ends to come to a point when vertex editing, rather than staying the same distance apart and sinking through the floor?