1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Techniques for finding cover, and firing.

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by OpFor, Oct 10, 2001.

1. OpFor

OpFor Feeling suicide, thats O.K.

I'd like too hear some other peoples ways of finding cover, and shooting. Personaly, I pull down a little bit while firing, and I don't realy lead the target much. Also, I find that crouching is good for avoiding cover if your being fired on lightly, but I always forget to go prone while und heavy fire. How do you do this stuff?

2. Wikkan

Wikkan Dickhead Fulfilled!

If theres adequate hard cover nearby, and I never travel anywhere there isn't, I make a mad dash while laying down random shots provided theres nobody from my team in the area.

I move slow, crouching beside corners and overall keeping my head down. I tend to peek really quick to make sure theres no enemy sniper or someones ambush waiting for me. Usually, dashing to another cover draws the enemy fire to me, but also tells me its very unsafe to continue. If I know where they are, they're already dead. :cool:

3. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Timing I feel is important. Move when there's suppressive fire being layed down, or at least something to distract your enemies. Find a position, and look for the next. And listen. Your ears (even with my sh*t connection) give you an extra depth of information that may just keep you alive.

4. peep

peep peep==class

I tend to crouch alot. I hardly ever go prone as you're dead if someone catches you. Also, I try to use leaning to the fullest, now that it's been implemented correctly. If I'm on a non RA server, I do move alot... and fast. If I am on a RA server, slow & steady.

I still tend to get caught up in the first few seconds of every round (even though I know I shouldn't) & sprint to the contact zone. Depending on the map, I take it from there. If there's a route that is usually left unguarded, or that you can get a jump on people, that's usually where I'll attempt to be at.

About shooting, I don't lead in either. I usually try to take a very brief second before firing though to aim. I used to use the robar alot more than I do now, so I got in the habbit of right clicking before firing. It doesn't make that much of a difference on a non RA server, but every little bit helps.

Another thing, when I know an enemy is in an enclosed area with me, such as a building, I will usually crouch. It could just be my computer, but it seems to make less noise. It seems to enable me to catch them by surprise.

5. Sidewinder

Sidewinder New Member

yea, teamwork or another guy there laying fire down even, is best, at least with ra.
    usually one guy will lay down some fire on the suspected enemy, while the other runs across the road, not firing (again ra).
    on a non ra server i just run around trying not to die, usually to no avail.

6. Sidewinder

Sidewinder New Member

yea, teamwork or another guy there laying fire down even, is best, at least with ra.
    usually one guy will lay down some fire on the suspected enemy, while the other runs across the road, not firing (again ra).
    on a non ra server i just run around trying not to die, usually to no avail.

7. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Stop saying RA! :D
    IF you are under fire, do one of two things: get down or run like crazy.
    If you see an enemy first, take a knee. He is sure to see you in another moment.

8. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Firing? Line the little red-dot in your aimpoint up with the target and start tapping the fire button. Whaddayamean you don't have a little red dot? Next thing you'll be telling me, you're not using an MP5. Ugh.

(Seriously, though. Semi is good. Use it.)

CQB, it's pretty much a case of lining the gun up with their general location (give or take lag) and unloading. Forget finesse. Forget stealth. Just keep firing until they are dead,. If they run, provided it isn't into a building or out into the open, follow (don't give them time to recover or counter-attack). Then quickly move and take up a new covering position.

You don't need to lead much yet because the ballistics suck.

Cover wise, I pretty much assume that I should always be in some sort of cover/concealment if I'm not moving. If there is any chance of coming under fire, don't move if you can at all help it. When you do move, try and be quick or quiet and go from cover to cover.

If you get caught with no cover, I find the best chance of survival at range is to run and jump like a madman (changing direction as much as possible to throw off aim). Same if you're very close (get closer to the enemy, tracking and firing is harder close in). At medium range, try diving prone or getting back to the last bit of cover you were behind.

I have good reflexes but a bad internet connection, so I find the trick is not to be in a situation where I am looking for cover or having to panic fire, but already behind cover and able to take shots at my leisure.

9. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

Well first you should find cover. Then fire. :D

I usually forgo any ill-aimed reactionary fire and go straight for cover. Once there I crouch and take a couple of quick shots then go prone, switch in a fresh magazine and maybe throw a frag at him. If he's a long ways off I take the opportunity to switch to semi.

10. dapngwnman

dapngwnman is a gamer

hey yurch
    RA RA RA RA RA RA RA RA RA RA!
    he he he im done :)

11. Sidewinder

Sidewinder New Member

damnit, dap beat me to it!

12. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

I've always been a crouch firer, in anticipation of the kind of mutator Yurch put out ( RA ). I love to partner when I can, but I can get separated pretty easily. Since I use the MP5, I keep to single bursts and try to avoid overkill. I make good sure of sporadic suppressing fire, especially if my teammate can line up a good shot. I lead targets on larger maps, especially with the slow .40 rounds I use. But most closer maps don't require it. I go prone when I'm out in the open, if only because I will be dead without it. I often survive if I do as well, especially if they are an AK fanatic (hehe, I know the hose and it's limitations).

And like everyone else said, use your ears and your brain!

13. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

Years of standard DMing are hard to forget, even for me ;) ...

When i play it right, i move from cover to cover, try to move slowly and silently (walk or crouchwalk, wich is definitly quiet to me and i guess to the others i did suprise) and attempt to use a unused/unguarded path toward my enemies. I try to flank them (the enemy players ;) ) as much as possible by moving around them, or ambushing them along a path they are likely to take. I prefer to never attack them head-on as i tend to panic fire when trying to beat them on reflex, so i try to get them from behind or the sides...

My most common mistake is to try to attack as soon as i see a target, often forgetting to make sure none of their teammates are around or if they are ready to return fire... I also tend to get lasy and forget to hop from cover to cover or stay for too long behind some cover that are already compromised (they know i'm there)...

The best is not try to attack them if they are already looking your way : wait a bit before trying again or seek to flank them or wait for teammates to come around and share the fire with you...

14. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

The best cover

Cover are not only stuff that can block direct fire, but also stuff that hide you or limit the angles from wich they could attack you... Moving along a wall may not seem like cover, but if a guy from the scond floor of a building cannot see you along the first floor wall, you are "covered". Trees and bushes on some maps may not always stop bullets, but they may block direct line of sights of snipers, allowing you to get closer unseen...

When moving around, always try to have some obstacles blocking direct line of fire from windows or from the other side of the map : this may mean moving in the center of the street, but may be a lot more safer than hugging a wall and be open from a clear shot from a nearby window on the second floor of a house...

15. dapngwnman

dapngwnman is a gamer

AHAHHAHA!!!
    sooo beat you by 20 mins :)

16. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Firing - if its not a panic situation, and you are facing one target farther than 50 yards (RA server, I admit it) Use semi. Especially if you have an AK.

17. peep

peep peep==class

I'm really bad about taking on multiple people. I did ok today on the AFA server, but under normal circumstances, I'm gone.
    Example: I see a guy run by & I don't shoot. I automatically start after him, not noticing his teammate following him 10 yards behind. Dead peep. :(

That's one of the reasons why I like the RA mod. It's just a reminder that I should try & pair up. It's hard to do when you're feeling speedy, or your chosen "freind" is feeling to adventurous.

Today, someone kept camping in the spawn "base," for lack of a better word, on EP. People were getting all pissed off about the guy & $hitting themselves because they couldn't win. The thing was, I'm not positive about this, but I don't think they were working in teams. They would all go up, 1 by 1, and get smacked. If they had done it in teams of 2 or 3? Problem solved. Maybe one of your team goes down in the process, but if you're covering each other, there should only be sucess. Now, if the team could only get by that group of people defending the airplane...

18. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

My fav weapons are the supressed mp5 or my robar/m9 combo. With either I avoid moving when the enemy is near i usually shoot em in the back :) I crouch whenever the situation forces me to do so (IE getting cought in the open, fire a few rounds and run like hell to a covered position).

19. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Re: The best cover

Cover stops bullets, concealment stops the LOS.

That's how it works in SWAT3, anyway...

20. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

Well spm1138, my mistake, but in the end what i said remain true, just didn't state the difference between cover and concealment...