Team Strategies

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

950Ravage

Sep 29, 2003
This post is for the benefit of those who are trying to assemble league teams, clans or other means of XMP organized play. XMP is highly strategic, and the team with the better strategy, communication and organization is the team that will win. Skills take you far, but solid tactics will take you farther.

If you have any questions about strategy, here is a little something I worked up for 7v7 team format to compete in the Jolt cup. I have no problems sharing, even though it is my little "playbook". Since the strategies change by the map as well, I'm not really giving too much up.

================THE TEAM===================

Defense (tech, gunner)

The gunner does the bulk of the fighting, while the tech provides shield packs, turrets and poison gas. The tech only engages the opponent directly when they are directly next to the node room. There must always be one defender in the node room at all times. Many games are lost because the defense abandons the node when an artifact is taken, leaving the node available for the other team to come in and control it. If we have no artifacts left, one of the defenders can go assist in retrieval... but we always need a safe zone for our offense runners to come back to. No artifact carrier should die at the node if it can be avoided.
- starts game by securing artifact node
- No deployables until first gen is hacked
- Turrets outside node room, mines inside node room
- Walls covering extra entrances/exits to prevent fast escapes
- Damage all vehicles to the point of flaming (do not destroy). If they respawn quickly, then have midfield/freelance remove them from the base area unless they are being used for defense. This makes it hazardous for the offense to use the vehicles to their advantage.

Midfield (tech, gunner)

The gunner provides cover for the tech while the tech hacks, and assists in hacks on active enemy deploy points where time is of the essence. Much as above, the tech provides shield packs, turrets and poison gas, switching to shotgun/assault rifle support if the ammo on the above runs dry. The tech closes in when the gunner is faced with only one opponent. When the midfielders are clearly outnumbered, they do as much damage as they can before falling back to a better position and calling in the freelancer for support. Midfielders do not engage the enemy unless they are paired up. Gunner clears out the long-range deployables, but leaves the close range deployables to the shotgun/emp of the tech.
- Starts game by hacking generators and deploy points, focus on deploys close to enemy base and skip any near our base (the enemy is gonna hack those anyhow, so why waste our time at the start?)
- Deploy points have priority over generators. Remove their ability to spawn nearby.
- Avoid conflict until unless we have control of at least 1 deploy point outside the base area.
- Take generators that can be covered by deployables with some degree of effectiveness.
- gunner covers tech, provides supplies
- no more than 4 turrets at each gen, 2 each deploy point
- establish a corridor of control, providing a friendly path for assault and freelance.
- establish fall-back areas for offense (walls, turrets) on high platforms
- Gunner may switch to tech if needed to perform a lot of fast hacking.
- Assist freelancer with interception and destruction of enemy artifact carrier.

Freelance (1 ranger)

The freelancer should die as little as possible. Their goal is not to kill, but harass/disrupt/delay the enemy and their strategies. Spend no more than a few seconds on any target before getting away or focusing on something else. The freelancer is responsible for providing information on everything the enemy is doing, by standing at a distance and scoping in on their deploy points and movements. Keeps distance from the midfielders so more of the map has team coverage.
- Starts game by speeding to the best vantage point of the enemy base and surrounding deploys and providing intelligence for midfield and defense. Long-range snipes on enemy hackers to slow the enemy's opening position.
- Harass enemy hacking/assault teams
- provide healing to friendly defense/midfield
- Hack generators and deploy points only when the opportunity arises
- Mercy Kill as much as possible to prevent enemy from being revived or providing information on our movements.
- Provide information regarding enemy locations and tactics
- support our artifact carrier until they are away from immediate harm.
- Keep moving, don't get too hung up on a single target. The enemy has to always wonder where you are and what you are doing.
- Intercept enemy artifact carrier and slow them down until midfield/offense support arrives.
- If you aren't certain if your shot is going to hit, take it in such a manner that the enemy sees the tracer line... this distracts them, and either has them running for cover or looking around to spot you. This costs them several seconds of game time while you are off to your next task.

Offense (2 ranger/gunners)

The offense should generally be rangers for speed, but may elect for gunners in the event the enemy defensive force is greater than 2 or has vehicles for artillery support. The offense needs to attack in a pair, but from different paths to split the defensive focus. Always make the enemy feel like they don't have enough D. If they fall back enough, we hack all the generators and deploys, throwing their strategies into confusion. If they don't fall back enough, wait for your opening and then clear their node out. If the defense is strong, one player needs to lure the defense away from the node... often a sacrifice play... while the other player grabs an artifact.
- Starts game with assault on enemy base. Don't bother hacking anything unless it stands between you and getting into their node.
- may switch to gunner if required for turret/vehicle clearing
- Maintain control of at least 1 enemy artifact at all times.
- Capture artifact only when base is confirmed as secure and return path is clear. Hold the artifact at midfield until the base is secure.
- If both have artifacts, leave on different paths if the opposition is strong.
- If one offense has an artifact, the other switches to midfield or freelance role and supports the carrier until it is captured.
- ambush the enemy artifact carrier before they reach home base.
- remove enemy vehicles if possible, as this will slow their pursuit of you.

-=General=-

- If you die, respawn unless there is a teammate nearby and he/she is fighting no more than one opponent. Then you can wait for revival.
- If your teammate died from sniper fire, do not revive unless the sniper is neutralized. Don't waste a lot of time on the sniper, since they mostly want to slow you down.
- Keep to your roles! If you break your position, the strategy falls apart.
- Use fewer rocket turrets, as they are less effective overall and are first to go when the energy chain starts collapsing.
- Harassment/attacks should always take place from the highest vantage point and/or from the enemy's flank.
- Do not destroy enemy deployables unless they are a clear threat/obstacle to you or the team. Leaving ineffective enemy deployables in place will leave their power load high.
- DO NOT PANIC WHEN THE ENEMY IS AHEAD. If anything, you need to slow down, regroup, establish a zone of control and then press forward.

We all know XMP is a game of shifting advantage. Its very difficult from anyone to retain the advantage for very long when both teams are skilled. Don't let enemy aggression break your focus; any opponents trying to run with an artifact in this strategy will have to face our entire team at one stage or another as they move through the field. If we communicate and play this game as it was meant to be played, the odds of an opponent making it back to their base with an artifact is VERY slim.

===========How it all works against enemy tactics (not taking skill into account)==============

Enemy breaks out into individuals, leaves 2 at the base.

The enemy will capture a lot of generators and deploy points in the early game, but run out of steam quickly as the freelancers and midfielders thin their ranks before they reach the node... making them easy pickings for the defense. The freelancer communicates the enemy's primary deploy point back to the midfielders, who reclaim it. With the pairing on midfield, we acquire enemy deploys quickly and the enemy has a hard time reclaiming. The enemy is eventually forced back into their base... assuming we didn't already cap their artifacts and win the game.
The offense dances around with defense, destroying their deployables and harassing them but never getting close. One eventually makes a sacrifice move to draw the defense's attention out of the node area while the other moves in and takes an artifact. This disorients their whole team and breaks their tactics.

Enemy pairs up, leaves 3 at base.

With the freelancer, we are able to out-hack the enemy mid-field. Their offense is reduced by trying to keep pace with our hacking manuvers, which makes it impossible to penetrate our defense. Their defense eventually is reduced to keep pace with our hacking, which allows our offense to work more effectively.

Enemy pairs up, 3 on offense.

The freelancer harasses the attacking team, distracting them and weakening them before they run into our defense.

Enemy pairs up, 3 on midfield.

Freelancer distracts and harasses the midfielders until our midfield can make it to the location. This is the most even matchup, so the outcome is uncertain and largely based on the skills of the midfielders. Pushing the midfielders back into their own base is the key concern, so out-hacking them is more important than killing them. If necessary, mid-fielders should both switch to tech. Freelancer must always remain a ranger.

Enemy leaves a single defender, 3 midfield and 3 offense.

Freelancer disrupts the enemy midfield. 1 midfielder holds a captured generator long enough to power up the node, the other midfielder drops back to a defensive role. Our offense makes short work of the enemy defense and races home with the artifacts, stopping along the way to hack deploy points to force the enemy into a single deploy point approach or all the way back to their base. This puts a lot of strain on the defense and midfield, so the offense needs to act quick.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
There must always be one defender in the node room at all times. Many games are lost because the defense abandons the node when an artifact is taken, leaving the node available for the other team to come in and control it.

There must always be one defender in the node room at all times. Many games are lost because the defense abandons the node when an artifact is taken, leaving the node available for the other team to come in and control it.

Someone please read this over and over until you stop being lame in the pubs.

trip2k

Dec 29, 2003
Spamming the "We need energy!" voice comm does NOT get your team energy, you actually need to go out and hack the energy source.

^ read over this one also.. please.

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
Xaero that was you I played today lol thought it was you but said you don't post here lol...

Really though there are some fatal flaws in your tactics, on most maps you can have your defenders (atleast 1 of them) run forward hack and come back.

The problem is on pubs all that goes out the window, In privs the defender gets the least points, thats not a prob but on pubs you get flamed for it thats why nobody does it.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I know a certain forum member who does nothing but hack and set up defenses and scores a few thousand points on most (non-two-minute) matches.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Ravage, your text gives inspiration but i prefer to use it to modify our own tactics a bit. Most of it is common sence, other is new and interesting but still most clans have their own personallities so it doesnt always fit. Otherwise One damn good piece of knowledge that deserves to be added to catas Knowledge Libary... CATA ADD!

Hmm, well yea look above :p

Last edited:

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
mines in the node room?okay,just not around the damned register....that is so aggravating running all the way back with an arti and getting blown up by some idiot gunner who never left the base,and who also does not revive you and then steals your artifact capture.BAD TACTIC.uncool gameplay.

Phaeta1733

phaeta
Jul 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Visit site
Your tactics are great for standard CTF, but I don't know if they're flexible enough for XMP, especially on the maps with TWO midfields (Alcazar, SunsetBeach). For instance, on the beach, It seems that your always paired middies would be able to cover either the surface or the cavern, with the exclusion of the other. That's asking for trouble. Perhaps 5 midfielders, switching roles, and going Off/Def as circumstances demand?

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
best thing IMO is to have people "float" between areas,but have a general place thet you defend when you have to have fall back from attacking.for example,on sunset,as a tech,i would defend the underground area,as well as take the gen and deploy.once the area is secure,i would attack as far forward as possible,unless the gen or deploy behind me is taken,in which case i fall back and retake it,or an arti is stolen,in which case you decide if you're closer to your base or their's and decide where the best place is to try and stop the arti carrier.

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
any set tactic doesnt work, I dunno about the rest but I can say our group is pretty agressive

Smily

Freelancer deluxe
Jan 3, 2004
Meerbusch
www.sHcL-team.de
i think the most important part of the tactic guide is the second sentence.
the rest is a very very very good guide for people who have to make the tactics for their team. its just a help, so everyone knows where you have to start

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
meh I can sum up our teams good points and what makes a good team.

1.raw skills, its important
2.flexible be able to think and move on the fly with little talking while maintaining a grasp of whats going on.
3.selflessness, no point whores always about the team
4.never give up no matter how bad the situation.

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
Why does everyone leave tech off their offensive list? .. Gunners are way more suited to defense then techs. Tech's can just drop their turrets and walls and off they go, with gunners taking the active defense role.

At least, in my opinion. A good player will do good with their preferred class (or any class) anywhere. To exclude one class from a point in your strategy will only hurt you, imo.

ReLiK

Waiting to spawn....
Dec 21, 2003
have to agree with that tbh. All classes can be played in any position.

assuming a player is competent with all classes, i think choice of class should be based on what the enemy's classes are.

If the enemy has gunners in defence, I'd like rangers in our offense (in open maps). If there are techs on defense, I'd use gunners to attack (to take out deployables from long range). If there was a ranger in defense, then any class can take them on (tho i guess techs would be weakest), but watch you dont get sniped in the ass. :p

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think techs aren't really considered for offense because their weapons are more geared towards support and defense.

It's actually a good idea sometimes to take a tech on the trip with you to hack doors and gens, and to provide cover fire when riding in a vehicle. Sometimes on small maps like Rampant I like to make a run on the enemy base, hack everything I can find to give them a twist, then drop back and defend.

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
\/\/0RF said:
I think techs aren't really considered for offense because their weapons are more geared towards support and defense.

This isn't really all that correct. Their weapons are just their weapons .. in fact I would say a gunners weapons are better suited to defense with mines and nothing but splash & area damage weapons, and big damage too. You don't want people in your base for very long .. a tech would take longer to kill them (on average) espically because most often defense is in enclosed areas .. ideal for the gunners full range of weapons.

Even still, any class is just what you make of it. A game I played the other day on Rampant I just couldn't make it out of the opposite teams base with the artifact to save my life (or win the game :p) .. but it was a gunner that wound up taking it all the way home. There isn't one class that is -really- more suited to one activity or another .. it's all of what you make it.

\/\/0RF said:
It's actually a good idea sometimes to take a tech on the trip with you to hack doors and gens, and to provide cover fire when riding in a vehicle. Sometimes on small maps like Rampant I like to make a run on the enemy base, hack everything I can find to give them a twist, then drop back and defend.

I find it a better idea to actually be a tech to hack doors and gens with :p .. All the more reason I find the tech to be my preferred class, even for heavy assault, because of the hack speed. I can hack two doors often in the time it would take a person to take one and head into the artifact room. This gives me an easier time getting out .. and often I take the teleporters out of a base despite having hacked multiple doors :p

But I digress. I can't stress enough people .. play the class you're comfortable with in the role you're comfortable with. All classes can do well in all situations if you're good enough.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Anathema- said:
This isn't really all that correct. Their weapons are just their weapons .. in fact I would say a gunners weapons are better suited to defense with mines and nothing but splash & area damage weapons, and big damage too.
I didn't say a tech's weapons were BEST for defense, only that I generally find their weapons better for support / defense than for offense. You could just as easily say that a ranger is best for defense coz he can snipe enemies long before they get to the base. But along the same lines, I as a tech can be sniped long before I ever get to face down an opposing ranger. My POINT, which you basically agreed with when you said it would take longer for techs to kill someone in a base, is that their weapons are not designed to go toe-to-toe with another player, as the other two classes. I like to think of the tech's arsenal as "strategic" weapons, not the kind where one can so easily grab a gun and charge blindly into the field of battle.
Anathema- said:
I find it a better idea to actually be a tech to hack doors and gens with :p
WTF is the difference? Whether you're the tech or not, the principle of having a tech as part of the attack group still applies. Why are you disagreeing with me only to echo what I just said?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.