Team skins

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Symbolikal

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Jul 30, 2004
In britain in a small town.
When making skins, Overload has made 4 team skins for 2k4 so when making skins for 2k4, try and do gold and green too. It would help the people who play CTF4 so they won't play aginst 10 Jakobs. I thought I would say that.

Aug 2, 2004
Unfortuately n00bkillin there isn't a large crowd for this but hopefully in the future there may be.

-{SC}- Renamon

BigHead Bot Master
Jul 27, 2004
Well, you could reskin current models so they have proper team-skins(including Yellow and Green) and release them in a 4team-pack(but ask first).

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
I included CTF4 skins in some of my newer model/skin packs (unreleased as yet). The only downside is that it makes the packs really big. I may do it for an odd one here and there but not all. CTF4 at the moment is quite buggy, even using the default skins I tend to get GPFs every other game so maybe once it's fixed up a bit it'll get more support from skinners/modellers ;) All my new stuff will be available in 2k5 sometime and ones that have CTF4 support will be mentioned in the descriptions/readmes :tup:

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
I also use to include Team color support for all skins, but it's true, that they are pretty big than...(eg my first skinpack containing 9 chars has 28 MB...)

I made myself 2 ut4mods replacing the upls of 2-Team-color-skins, when I play CTF4 they are all set to BotUse=0, and in normal modes they are switched back to normal. OK, it's a little bit annoying to close and relaunch UT2k4, when playing diffrent gamemodes. When I'm too lazy I simply use the BotConfig-Option ;)

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
I was thinking about this while creating my skin, but like everyone's saying it does kind of boost the pack size, especially if there's both head AND body texture swaps like mine has.

One possible solution I've been thinking of would be to simply release different CTF4 version with all the teamskins included so people without CTF4 could download the regular 2 team version. I can just imagine what those on dial-up must go through. I know most people aren't on dial-up anymore, but we should still think about them. I'm sure we were all on dial up ourselves at one point in time.

An alternative could be to just release the huge skin pack, but make sure to let the player be able to select the team-colored skins as bots or player skins so the green and gold color schemes don't go to waste.

I'm experimenting with a lower-file size method of creating team skins that should reduce pack size signifigantly if it works.

Last edited:

Kid InFeRnO

Censored By Madd
Dec 25, 2004
Between Four Walls
Yea I agree with TJ -Off topic- LOL i have to use my 21 year old bros comp to play. He wont let me anymore. Plus i cant instal or Download UT2k4 cuz I use a FX700 Compaq Presario plus earthlink which cuts out to much so im pissed

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
skincity.beyondunreal.com
-Tj- said:
I can just imagine what those on dial-up must go through. I know most people aren't on dial-up anymore, but we should still think about them.

Offtopic : I´m on dial-up :( .No chance to get DSL in my area .

back to the thread .

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Another option would be to make 2 Versions downloadable:

One with the skinpacks splitted in various files, that would help the guys with a lame connection.

And the normal huge pack for guys with a good connection or guys (like me) who have a friend with a good connection :D

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
skincity.beyondunreal.com
MäxX said:
Another option would be to make 2 Versions downloadable:

One with the skinpacks splitted in various files, that would help the guys with a lame connection.

Too much trouble with splitted files .You can´t post ´em on sites like SkinCity without messing the downloadsystem. (Can you imagine people download XXXPack Part 1 , Part 2 , Part 3 ... without trouble ? )

I´d prefer two different versions .The normal (huge) Pack and a lightpack without the 2 additional teamcolors.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
You're right, that would mess up your system a little bit *g*

When it's wished I surely will do it, no prob *g
then we have it it like the Cola *bg* light and normal.

Part II of TSE has been finished and sent yesterday, would be no prob to make a "light" version today and send it tomorrow. Part I should still be big, but let's see.

When it's easier for other users, it will be done ;) np

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
So shall we do that from here on out? A light version and a CTF4-compatible version?

Full version: CTF4 compatible
Lite version: not CTF4 compatible

I would assume this should only be done for packs that are too huge otherwise. It's too bad the CTF4 compatible skins couldn't be added in as a separate pack rather than being saved within the texture pack itself. That would have made it so much easier to work with.

On another note, I was trying to create a team skin set that used the ColorModifier raw material in UnrealEd but it's not very user-friendly, and it doesn't seem to be compatible with Combiners, and I'm guessing it's not compatible with Shaders either, so that's an idea thrown out the window. Doh!

I think what I'll do is create a lite version with just the main 3 skins (original, red, blue), and a full version with all the frills (original, 4 teams, 3 special).

All this time I thought you were on a high-speed connection, SaD... you do all that uploading/downloading with dial-up?? daaaaang... I feel your pain. :(

Last edited:

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
I agree with you TJ, but I think there must be a way to do this.

For example in the CTF4 mod, there is an utx.-file containing only the Green and Gold skins for the standart models (in case my memories don't fool me).
I'll take a look if there is a possibility to do that with other skins to, would be cool.
When someone updates his skin for 4-player-battles, you don't need to download the whole thing again and it would be easy to create a light, upgrade and full version

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
You're right! I'm mistaken. If you figure it out, do let us know. It'll be so much easier to just create an add-on pack.

Good catch!

EDIT: I'm wondering, would the support for the additional textures in the OLTeamSkins.utx file be hard-coded into the CTF4 mod itself? My only other guess would be that it has something to do with the OL prefix, but that doesn't make sense to me since the original UT2004 skins are named PlayerSkins, not TeamSkins.

Last edited:

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Maybe a few other guys do also look at it and someone will find the clue *gg*

And if we all fail, we just ask the mod author how he made that *hehe*

EDIT: Anwer to TJ's EDIT:
That's a good question! But maybe there is a way, I can't take a look of it right now, because the former owner of my PC in duty was Fred Flintstone and so I haven't it installed here *bg*

Last edited by a moderator: