1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Team communication ideas

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by [MA]Clem_the_idiot, Oct 19, 2001.

?

Should voice be added to UT?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2001.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. [MA]Clem_the_idiot

[MA]Clem_the_idiot New Member

I have been thinking (surprising as that may be) and I actually came up with a good idea. Perhaps voice communication might be a pretty good idea. It helps a lot in Half-Life and it would probably help in UT as well. It would really help in CTF maps when you don't have time to type "HELP! HELP! THEY ARE ALMOST TO THEIR BASE AT THE LEFT WALL!". :-D

Vote yes or no please.

2. gramps

gramps New Member

this already happens on a large scale. unlike Tribes2, where you've got built in voice comm most clans use external programs for this, like for example Roger Wilco, Battlecom or Team Sound.

a disadvantage of external programs is that you can't use them on pubs, as everybody would need to join a specific voice comm server. but it's not as if anybody on pubs listens to what you say anyhow, even if you spam the message screen with "ENEMIES AT BASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ;)
    anyway, these voice comm proggries seem to work just fine for most clans, as far as i can tell.

3. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

What he said. TS has the best quality but needs an extra server (we tried to host it on cable and play on the machine and got massive lag). BC is the best compromise.

Besides that, an effective and standardized keybind system also works well.
    But like he pointed it, on pubs noone ever listens to anything (that's why I don't play public CTF anymore), so it's only useable for clangames

4. JJaX

JJaX Sup Big Perm, I mean Worm

i AGREE...
    THe in game binds combined with Roger Wilco seems to work pretty well.

5. el Gato

el Gato Has-Been

I have loads of custom text binds for CTF which work pretty swell.

6. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

I've found that voice comm. is only really effective when playing with people you actually know, rather than just random people out there. Same goes for even regular text/voicebinds. Half the people out there don't even pay attention.

7. [MA]Clem_the_idiot

ummm, actually, you don't need to know the people you do voice with. You simply need to include voice with the program (its a small patch) and it will have it. I know this from playing Half-Life Counter-Strike wich utilizes voice. I know absolutely nobody on HLCS and I can voice with anyone who has a mic. (Yes, I play HL too) :)

8. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

You seem to miss the point.
    On public servers noone gives a monkey poop on what you say. Wether it's voice or text. Everyone always attacks, there is no defence whatsoever, it's just DM with flags usually. Utterly boring and pissing me off. There is no communication. You can say "defend the base" 20 times and noone even acknowledges it or says "shut up".
    I'd be a nice idea if people actually had a sense of teamplay. But you will find that in maybe 1 out of 10 games with a few people.

The following pic was taken with playing only D. We still lost of course. With only 2 more defenders we could have won :rolleyes:
    http://www.clanrsu.couk.com/8472/hydro.jpg

9. Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydeaux{RoA} Phydolike

Virtual Talker

VT is the best full-duplex, low overhead voice comm package that RoA has tried (and we've tried them all). The way it came about is pretty funny, actually.

The RoA Directorate had assembled (again) on a Saturday afternoon to discuss Very Weighty Matters. We were in Roger Wilco at the moment. As long as Tristram was talking (and no one else), we were mostly fine. Sometimes he'd fade in and out but it was when somebody had a comment that things would go South. We tried for half an hour to work things out, then switched over to TeamSound in disgust. That was clearer, but there were issues there, too. Some1else mentioned GameVoice (he and I had the MS puck thingies) but it never worked to satisfaction for the others. Fafhrd was scouting about for other, more obscure options and Frag was asking other clans what they were using. We wrestled with BattleCom but ran into quality issues. We were getting desperate. We were about ready to head back to Roger Wilco (a full hour later) and were none too happy about it when we were Saved.

D., Tristram's better half (a non-gamer but otherwise very nice person whose only sanity concern is her affection for Tristram), had been listening to this whole train wreck and took mercy on us. She quietly went and sat down on her computer and did a quick voice comm search. After a moment, she chirped "How about this Virtual Talker? It looks like it may work for you guys." (Ok, I'm guessing about that, but it was fast and came completely out of the blue...) At that point, we were desperate. We'd done this routine for week after fruitless week and were at the point of the General from _War Games_; "I'd piss on a sparkplug if I thought it would help..."

Frankly, I was skeptical. We were the big Gamers. We were all over all the new Technology. We'd been scouring the web for weeks and D. sits down and has this no-name suggestion for us?

We downloaded it. It was a very small download, just a meg or two. We disabled the "push-to-talk" thing and set up our own RoA room. Low and behold, we were able to all hear each other, and we could even talk to each other at the same time if we wanted to, just like a real conversation. (Of course, as a matter of practicality, we try not to, but the technology allows that.) It was heaven.

We'd been scouting around for weeks for the perfect app but it was D. who had the answer! Lol.

You can read about VT here.

10. [MA]Clem_the_idiot

Maybe

I did miss that point. I guess my experience with half-life communication all these years has pushed the fact that people do ignore messages in UT. Of course, I have noticed that people pay more attention to voice than chat.... It might be worth a try, after all it is hard to not hear things being screamed into your ears :p

11. LittleFlower

LittleFlower New Member

Personally I love GameCommander. There is a free version for UT, so just grab it and give it a try. I always use GameCommander on FFA CTF. My clan uses BattleCom for clanmatches.

GameCommander is voice recognition software. You configure it with combinations of sentences and keys. It listens to what you say, and when it recognizes a sentence or word you have configured, it will simulate pressing the accompanying key. So for example I have my numpad keys bound with speech and teamsay binds. When I say "on my way", GameCommander will recognize the sentence, and press NumPad4. And that will cause everyone on the server to see my bind. Works great. The only disadvantage is that it takes a little more time than pressing a key. Biggest benefits are that you don't need to remember what keybinds you have set up. And you don't need to take your fingers of the controlkeys for a split second. And therefor you can set up many many binds. Another benefit is that it takes a lot less bandwidth to do this. Important for ISDN users that are close to having their pipe full with UT traffic. Keybinds also have the benefit of being less ambiguous than voicecom. And they show your mates where you are.

IMHO it would be nice to have the following in UT.
    1) predefined sentences, like we have today with the speech command. but many, many, many more.
    2) locations not only by zonename, but if possible mentioning the closest powerup or weapon. This is sometimes more clear than zonenames.
    3) possibility to combine words and sentences in your own speech sentences. (Maybe not necessary if there are tons of predefined sentences).
    4) build-in voice recognition that triggers those speech sentences
    5) ability to configure a key/button that when you press it, it disables the voice recognition and puts you straight into normal voice communication.
    6) so you also need normal voice communication
    7) more voicepacks, so it is less likely to have 2 people on a server use the same voices. this helps to determine quickly who is saying something.
    8) playernames consisting of separate name and clantag. this helps preserve a few characters in the messagebox for speech/teamsay. I rather not see my clanmates clantags in stead of the line wrapping around.