1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Teachers told to stop grading papers in stressful red ink.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Derelan, Apr 4, 2005.

1. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

I agree that fussing over the color of ink used to grade papers is fairly silly, but educators should also not attempt to utterly destroy students when they fail. I've had professors in college that would openly tell a student that they didn't belong in school in front of the entire class. I can imagine that if they didn't already have low self esteem before hand, they were suicidal afterward.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

This is fun!

3. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

Wha? I see not the typo you speak of :p

4. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

:p

5. Philophobos

Philophobos New Member

I don't have much tolerance for academic wusses or their parents bitching about the color of ink used to correct a paper, but I have even less tolerance for ignorant, prick-ass professors who either make it a point to belittle their students in place of teaching them, or are so inept that the fact that they are university professors should be a sign of the Apocalypse or something.

During my freshman year in college I turned in an outline for an upcoming speech I had to give a week or so later in Communications class. I came back to class the next day and I got the outline back only to see that it had a big, black X spanning the entire page. No explanation, no reason given, no helpful little notes: just a big, black X. I could barely contain myself, thinking, "My God! What the FUCK is THIS?! Perhaps my prof. does not realize that she is teaching an entire fucking class about communication! What the blue fuck does this big black X communicate to me other than '*grunt* Ug...Me not like...X!'" Luckily the X wasn't red or else I'd likely be in prison for homicide.

6. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

I keep hearing these horror stories from teachers, where a student can get away with anything and everything, where teachers are powerless to even teach. Plus, the fact that they have to teach to the lowest common denominator, and that lowest common denominator keeps dropping... :hmm:

I guess I should just be happy that I got to be in the 'advanced' classes through high school. Hell, I'm most happy that they offered them, and they actually challeneged us. I took one class of the basic, regular english...it was a joke. I feel for ya, subby.

7. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

I have always said to people when the topic of school comes up, "I did not go to high school, I barly survived."

My high school took the art of teaching to the lowest common denominator to a whole new level. As for advance classes they were a joke. Since those types of classes directly impacts college and university entry anyone who wanted in advance classes got in.

I do not recall a single advance class that completed all the material required because Joe the idiot needed hand holding the entire course. In grade 13 advance math, I believe it was a calculus class and calculus is not all that hard, we were exactly 23 school days behind the material come exam time. This was due to the fact that thre were 12-15 people who should not have been there wasting our time going over the same material over and over.

Hell I missed 45% of the course because I was bored and still got in the high 80s. I truly hate the public school system in Canada. If I ever decide to have kids they will be home schooled.