1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Talent Hunting

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by HDN, Nov 1, 2005.

1. HDN

HDN New Member

Hi all,

I’m new to the boards and would like to know how you guys rate the people who create maps using Unreal technology and where I could browse the work of the people you guys consider to be the best?

I work for a Game Development company who has recently signed up for Unreal 3 technology for use on Next Generation Consoles and I’m looking for talented map creators/users of Unreal technology.

Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Regards,
    HDN

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

3. HDN

HDN New Member

Daedalus<<<

Thanks.

;)

HDN

4. Savethejets

Savethejets New Member

Would it be possible to give us more info about any of the positions? Does your company participate in interships? and what kind of experience are you looking for?

5. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

Any remote work available?

6. ShredPrince

ShredPrince New Member

MY stuff...been doin it about year and half.Will work for cheap to get in the industry..

All maps I completed from my very 1st to my latest:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500889
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500892
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500891

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500887

I'm all over most mapping forums and should not be hard to get in touch with.

7. HDN

HDN New Member

more info...

Sorry for the brief post, here’s a little more information:

We’re looking for people who know and use the Unreal system to create maps. I’m primarily interested in “Level Designers” the positions are “Jr. Designer” and “Level Designer”. We’re based in Woodland Hills, California and would like people to take in-house positions. No previous game industry experience is needed.

We are also looking for people who are experienced Designers (with game industry experience), but we’d like to start our search in the mod community.

We are NOT looking for Artists, we already have a talented set of people here, so you don’t need to worry about creating textures for your models/maps. We want people who understand game design/fun and show it in their well thought out maps.

If you’d like to contact us without posting here, please email our HR department:

info@genuinegames.com

All the best,
    HDN

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  8. DingBat

DingBat New Member

Er, I think this is information best not shared with potential employers.

9. HarvesterUT

HarvesterUT beat me with a stick

why not? if he really IS willing to work for less than normal salary to get a foot-in-the-door then more power to him!

the recruiter is looking for people that little or no experience in the game industry (prolly to keep costs down).

i think this might be a match made in heaven!

10. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

If I was able to relocate, I'd probably apply for this. However, I'm pretty much stuck in Pittsburgh at the moment.

11. DingBat

DingBat New Member

This is just basic job hunting 101:

1. Never volunteer that you're willing to sacrifice something up front.

If that's not enough:

2. If the person applying has no industry experience, then the only job they'll likely be considered for is just something like this. I'd expect the pay's going to be low enough anyway.

3. Any employer who would take you up on your offer of lower pay is not one you really want to be associated. Yes, even for a "foot-in-the-door" opportunity.

Wait a sec, some of you are saying: I'll do ANYTHING to get into the industry. Fine. But if an employer is going to screw people on pay, what other corners are they likely to be cutting. Odds are you'll end up burned out and they'll never produce anything usable to make a move to another job anyway.

But really, reasons #2 and #3 are just window dressing. #1 is reason enough. Getting a job is negotiation. Any party in a negotiation that lays his cards on the table at the start is rarely going to end up happy with the outcome.

12. SuperApe

SuperApe Registered Monkey

Werd.

Sound advice, DingBat.
    Acting irresponsibly can hurt the entire industry by allowing employers to lower the overall pay and working standards.
    I've seen this happen first hand in the animation industry.