UE2 - UT2kX Sunlight doesn't shine through zone portals.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DonJeffrey

Jan 25, 2008
Sun doesn't go through the zone portals. >.>
No idea why, never had this problem.
Here's the download: http://files.filefront.com/VCTF+Boelarar/;13065957;/fileinfo.html

Made some pics to show what I mean.
I did rebuild everything every time. :>

Removed some portals here to show how it should look.
30w7536.jpg

Portals only.
biv034.jpg

Sunlight with portals blocking the light.
2ezpnyg.jpg

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Where is the sun actor right now? Placing it in the skybox makes a big difference compared to placing it in the actual playable area. Try both and see if it helps.

Also zoning that tower in the middle is entirely useless anyhow. It is too small and has too many windows and holes to really benefit from zoning.

DonJeffrey

Jan 25, 2008
I placed the sun in the skybox now. It worked! :D thanks
It was in the map itself before.

I'm just zoning every part, it doesn't help much true. But ZonePortals don't have any downsides like AntiPortals have. Too many AntiPortals slow down FPS.
So it's not really "bad" it's zoned. ^^

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Uh, actually yes zone portals do have a downside. The game has to calculate the view frustrum for every zone portal the player sees, to calculate whether the player can see that zone and if so, what objects in that zone the player can see. With an outdoor area like that I wouldn't use any zone portals at all, I'd stick with antiportals. Otherwise the engine's wasting a lot of time figuring out that it just has to render the objects anyway.

DonJeffrey

Jan 25, 2008
OK didn't know that, makes sense.

I did test it. I was standing at some points in the map with and without zone portals.
With zoneportals always won. FPS based.

But I already worked on it after that, should test again.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Play the level with "RMode 0" to see if the zone portals actually make a significant difference in what is being rendered. I somehow doubt it provides that many advantages in your case. Carefully placed antiportals are usually more efficient in outdoor maps.