1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Suggestion for Better Map Management

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EggSuckingLeech, Aug 6, 2004.

1. EggSuckingLeech

EggSuckingLeech New Member

Here's a suggestion you can take or leave. One thing I hate about UT is the map management. That is, I wish I could drop all my DM maps into a folder. I wish I could put all the 1v1 maps into another. All the BIG maps into another etc. Furthermore, I wish I could rename them into things that make SENSE.

I know I can't do that. But perhaps UT2Vote could proxy for all of that so that when you're in the voting tool, you can navigate "folders". Give me the ability to remap the map names so that when in UT2Vote I use my new names.

That would be a nice addition to a very limited UT...

2. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yes the mapping structure in UT is poor but unfortunately there is not much a Mod can do about.
    From the code in UT2004 one cannot read, or see a Folder as such.
    Basically there is no such thing as a Hard drive, a folder or a file path, everything you load and save sits in like a big black hole, so trying to manage something is impossible.
    Its for this reason that UT2Vote has the [UT2VoteMapInfo] where by changing the MinPlayers and MaxPlayers in the CheckMap= maps you can decide on what is displayed to the Players, depending on how many players there are at the time.
    For instance:
    [UT2Vote43.UT2VoteMapInfo]
    CheckMap=(MapName="DM-1on1-Crash",MinPlayers=0,MaxPlayers=4)
    CheckMap=(MapName="DM-HyperBlast2",MinPlayers=10,MaxPlayers=32)

In this case the moment your server has more that 4 Players on it, then DM-1on1-Crash will be invisible in the Map Menu.
    In the case of DM-HyperBlast2, unless there are 10 or more Players on your server, this map will be invisible.

In 44 this now has its own section:
    [UT2Vote44.UT2VoteMapCheck]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  3. EggSuckingLeech

What about this, Proasm? Is there a way I could create a new game type - say "Big Deathmatch". Then, when this is voted, I select a subset of the DM maps to show up (big levels only). So not really based on NumPlayers but based on the GameType? I know this is sort of how it works with CTF, etc. But in this case, they are still DM maps and I only want to show certain ones.

Sorry if this is a capability already there and I'm not up to speed.

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yes that could work as I could just add a GameName= to the same Catergory.
    So now you would have GameName - MinPlayers and MaxPlayers

[UT2Vote44.UT2VoteMapCheck]
    CheckMap=(MapName="DM-1on1-Crash",MinPlayers=0,MaxPlayers=4,GameName="None")
    CheckMap=(MapName="DM-HyperBlast2",MinPlayers=0,MaxPlayers=32,GameName="Big DeathMatch")
    CheckMap=(MapName="DM-BigBlast",MinPlayers=10,MaxPlayers=32,GameName="Big DeathMatch")

In this case with DM-1on1-Crash, the GameName would be ignored and only the Min/MaxPlayers used.
    In the case of DM-HyperBlast2 it would appear in your Big DeathMatch game regardless of how many players on the server.
    Whereas DM-BigBlast would only appear in Big DeathMatch if there where 10 or more players.

5. Skipx2

Skipx2 New Member

EggSuckingLeech,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there was a mutator that was great for maplist managing. It was called XMaps. I used it quite a bit with UT Classic. I don't know if it was ever developed for UT2003/4. It didn't allow moving of maps to directories, however you could create custom map lists and name them individually. This way you could have all your big maps in one list, smaller ones in a different list.

I did a Yahoo search and ran across this link:

http://www.planetunreal.com/xmaps/

I'm not sure the developer is working on it anymore. I don't know if any ideas could be gleaned from that to add features you may find helpful for UTVote.

Dunno if this even helped, hope it did. :)

Take care,
    Skip

6. EggSuckingLeech

thanks skip. Yes, even this would do. However, I think it needs to be integrated into UT2Vote. If I'm voting through the UT2Vote interface, then I think it's that GUI which needs to comprehend a better map management structure (at least as presented to the user.

If I'm off here and somehow you can use map mgmnt mods with UT2Vote, please let me know. I thought they had to be done in the same mod.

7. [USSR]_Ronin

[USSR]_Ronin New Member

hello guys,

this is my first post on the board and first of all i'd like to thank ProAsm for all his great work. We've been using UT2Vote on all our servers since version 41. I was wondering if it is possible to include the option to change the number of players MaxPlayers per map voted. We have a 32 player ONS server that can handle 75% of the maps without cpu overload but if we throw a custom map that hasn't been optimized enough our server starts lagging a lot since the cpu cannot handle the load. For the time being we dropped the number of players to 28 for better gameplay but we'd like to run most maps back at 32. So maybe if

CheckMap=(MapName="DM-HyperBlast2",MinPlayers=0,MaxPlayers=28)

and the map is chosen than the number of players will be limited to 28 for the whole game! does it work that way? if not is it possible to implement? let me know what you think guys

[USSR]_Ronin
    www.ussrclan.com

8. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

Actually, that checkmap statement, along with using a maplist with the maxplayers/maxspecs settings in it on a per map basis should do the trick for you.

[XInterface.MapListDeathMatch]
    MapNum=0
    Maps=DM-HyperBlast2?MaxPlayers=28?MaxSpectators=4
    Maps=DM-RANKIN
    Maps=DM-CORRUGATION
    Maps=DM-DE-GRENDELKEEP
    Maps=DM-DE-IRONIC
    Maps=DM-DE-OSIRIS2
    Maps=DM-GESTALT
    Maps=DM-IRONDEITY
    Maps=DM-METALLURGY
    Maps=DM-Deck17
    Maps=DM-Antalus
    Maps=DM-Asbestos
    Maps=DM-Curse4

9. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yes as Imaginos says, just make sure your have UseMapList=True in the GameType string.
    I'll have a look at that map manager and see if we can implement something.

10. [USSR]_Ronin

[USSR]_Ronin New Member

thanks, I will do some testing this coming weekend and let you know

no more on the fly map adding :( ;)

11. Imaginos

Yes, that is the downside to this method, but it works very well.

12. Skipx2

Skipx2 New Member

So, if I have this info in my UT2Vote.ini it will only list the maps that show in this list? I'd like to have a select list of votable maps. I'm confused....thats not hard. LOL.

13. Imaginos

Actually, that snippet was an example default maplist from a server's ini, NOT the ut2vote's ini. And yes, unfortunately, this feature only works with static maplists. If you add more maps to your server, you must then add them to the default maplist to make them votable.

Use the webadmin or manually edit the default maplist for the gametype you want to use this feature with. The Hyperblast2 line was just an example of the synatax. Any map that you DON'T specify the maxplayers/specs on will use the DEFAULT value that you have set for the gametype, so this means you only would need to edit the maplines that you want to specifically control the # of players on.

This method has been very effective on my server and people have responded favorably to it. Be sure to let your players know it is in effect via your rules/server announcements page so they know what a caring, loving admin you are. ;)