UE2 - UT2kX Subtracting issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

El3mentX

Mar 9, 2008
Hullo,

I recently started attempting to work with UnrealEd for UT2k4 with future intentions of making a mod. I was pointed towards UDN and a few other sites to help me get started but of course, I run into an issue already.

The tutorials all start out with some basics about subtracting with UEd, but the issue is, I can't seem to get it to work correctly. To sum up what the tutorial asks, they want me to make a cube, and then click subtract. Well I do that just how it appears to be done and all the tutorials say my box should have "bubbly walls" show up. To my bad fortune, nothing seems to change one bit, and it sort of has me in a fix, any suggestions on what might be going on?

Thanks a million!

Element

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Ha, I know.
When I started with the UnrealEd I wondered the same thing - back in ´99 ;)
You have to rebuild the Level otherwise you wont see the change.
There is a rebuild button.

rebuild_button.jpg

Angelmapper has a good beginners tutorial which should be very helpful.

Angelmapper

There is also a mapping guide on top of this forum.

El3mentX

Mar 9, 2008
First off, thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that didn't seem to quite fix it, although I think I might know why. After I try to rebuild it will say "Brush X: Brush has NULL material reference" and nothing would appear to change.

And now while I'm writing this, the error won't come up after the rebuild but still nothing changes to the wireframe cube...am I missing something with the textures?

Thanks!

Element

El3mentX

Mar 9, 2008
Ah! Yes, I had to change the viewports cube setting on the grey bar on the top of the view. It was on perspective (could that be why it didn't show up?). I can see the bubbly wall on the Textured and Dynamic Light settings though. Thank you everyone! Might be able to make progress now :)

Element