1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stuck

Discussion in 'Level Editing - Advanced' started by NuclearMonkey, Dec 16, 2001.

1. NuclearMonkey

NuclearMonkey You probably hate me. Oh well.

I know how to do almost everything in the editor, but I always cancel my projects due to me getting bored of the level and it just not turning out right. Do I just suck? Anybody have any ideas on how to not get bored of it. What a stupid question, but reply if you have anything you do to keep yourself motivated on the map.

2. StoneViper

StoneViper you can call me Mike

my maps will never ever look good for the first few weeks. it won't pull together until the end. just give it some time. look at my dm-downtown in my other thread about saving skyboxes. that was about 2 weeks of work, and it finally reached the alpha stage. yeah!

3. Chrysaor

Chrysaor Lord of the Pants

Plan it all out on paper, and don't get upset when a map falls through. About one in 5 of my maps gets finished and released.
    Eh, you probably don't know all you think about the ed either, I thought i did a few months ago, but I've come to learn, I'm still a newb ;)

4. Luggage

Luggage wins.

*lol* exactly what always happens to me! Just look at my homepage under "projects", I oughta change that into "discontinued maps"... Well, at last I've got an idea: DON'T sketch it all out. I mean, I always do, and now that I've thought about it, I'll try to let my next map grow: I'll start somewhere builing something nice, then look at what would look cool there, how to add anything, where to cennect rooms and such - just never thinking large-scale (will be hard for CTF, though...)
    This way you keep yourself interested because you don't know everything beforehand. You go on discovering new things about your map...

BTW, don't be afraid to delete whole parts of it if you don't like them! Better take longer than look bad! :)

Cheers, Lugg (now back at the ed)

5. NuclearMonkey

Wow thanks for the feedback. I will consider all of your tips in my next project.

6. MrFawn

MrFawn New Member

get some inspiration while playing UT

7. NuclearMonkey

UT does have some impressive maps.

8. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

No, Play Unreal :)

9. NuclearMonkey

I do enjoy making SP maps, but my struggle is with MP.

10. cek311

cek311 New Member

I lost interest as well

I have around 25 maps on my HD. And only around 5 have been released. The others are rooms and even maps with all structures and lighting completed. My interest is always lost after those, I just don't have the patience for bot pathing and item placements.

11. StoneViper

StoneViper you can call me Mike

Re: Re: Stuck

i can't tell you how many times i've deleted whole parts of my map. My CTF-SpiritualWorlds has had 3 major facelifts. first i deleted 1 month of work (the whole map to start over), then after working on it for 2 more months (2/3 of the map was deleted), then i got around to finishing it around 4 months later.