strange video problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hara

Where's my backup?
Aug 24, 2004
hi,

i was pretty happy using d3d to play INF until i was pointed towards the chris donhal opengl-driver, which made my fps boost up to 10 more in avg. well, but there appeared a problem which made me feel bad: the flashlight-attachments were working fine, but not on walls, floors or ceilings - just on moveable objects , like players or barrels. moving into dark corridors is like moving in complete darkness.

i tried several things like reinstalling every videodriver possible but the problem remained. so i switched back to d3d.

yesterday i decided to reinstall UT and INF completely (it took me a lot of time figuring out which comvoices2 and xm8 matched sg-servers ;-). anyway, since this reinstall my flashlight attachment denies enlightment even in d3d. everything stays as dark as it would look like, if i got rid of this extra-weight.

to add another strange thing: in opengl i am NOT able to change the brightness. it simply stays dark. darkness and no working flashlight. quite scary...

so, is this a known issue or is there any idea how to solve this mess?

HaraKiri

Ah, system is:
WinXP home on a HP notebook (Pavilion ze 4600)
mobile AMD Athlon xp 2500+
192 MB RAM
and the videodevice is a ATI Radeon IGP 320m using shared memory (yes, don't hit me!)

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Well, I know it's the normal thing to say, and you may have already done it, but are you patched up to the latest UT? Do you have the latest drivers, for the card, mobo, and so on?

Another thing is, since it is a laptop mobility card, you may not have the same kind of compatability as with desktop machines. Other than that, I'm not sure :hmm:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Make sure that you've got dynamic lighting selected in the video options.

The brightness issue was fixed in the Catalyst 4.7 drivers, but I'm guessing you're using the drivers from the manufacturer. I heard there was a way of using the 'pure' Catalysts on mobile parts, I'll look into it. For the meantime, you could use a program such as PowerStrip to adjust brightness.

EDIT: This is what you're looking for. Although my brother has it working fine on his laptop, use at your own risk.

Last edited:

hara

Where's my backup?
Aug 24, 2004
Done and finished....thank you

Crowze, you got the point! The software works fine and finally I could use the new catalyst. Now everything is fine in D3D and OpenGL!

I am happy

HaraKiri