1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stinger sucks, bring back the Minigun

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Gnam, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Gnam

Gnam Member

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the original stinger, it was kinda interesting, and taridium ammo fits in with Unreal's plot stuff well... but the new stinger (as it apears in UC2) really sucks. I admit the minigun is rather simplistic, but atleast it has 2 good fire modes. The "minigun" mode of the stinger is ok, but the heat-seeking, "Halo needler" mode is weak, lame, n00bish, and sucks. Also, I don't really see what else they could use as the alt fire that would really be that usefull, besides a more accurate minigun mode, which would make it just like the Minigun anyway. They could do slower taridum shards, like the original stinger, but there is allready a Linkgun. They could also do an insta-hit shotgun alt fire, similar to the original stinger alt, but using the new minigun-type taridum shards, but I'm not sure that would be terribly usefull either.

2. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Hmm Completely disagree there bud. In my books its better than the minigun as you actually need to think where you shoooting more than with a minigun. The minigun was too good if you had a low ping, If you got a high ping theres no hope in the world.
    A shotgun mode would be better, something to rival the Flakcannon's close range power.

3. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

UC2 is supposed to be n00bish; it's on a console. Why does everyone think UT3 will be like UC2 just because it's the same engine and companies and franchise? TARDS.

4. Olga

Olga Miffed

I like the stinger, but I'd really like to see the return of both weapons. The minigun could be an optional mutator of the sort.

The stinger altfire as it was in unreal was nice, it has to be wider or narrower a blast than the flak cannon to make it different, other than the fact that tarydium crystals aren't rubber and don't bounce.

5. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

It's not the same engine. The U3 engine is built from the ground up. D:

6. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Pssh. It's the Unreal Engine regardless of its build. That's all that matters. :p

7. Arsenalvendetta

Arsenalvendetta .: Death do us Apart :.

I'm not saying bring the Stinger back, but I personally do not use the secondary fire mode of UT2K3 and UT2k4 minigun. Its less accurate, slower and pathetic. I would like to see the original UT minigun make a come back. The secondary fire was superior to the first plus there was the additional bonus of drilling a standing corpse in UT once you held the secondary fire button.

8. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

The current mininub's secondary fire is actually more accurate due to less spread on the cone of fire, and does twice the damage. :con:

9. Arsenalvendetta

Arsenalvendetta .: Death do us Apart :.

Do you mean that UT2k4's secondary fire is more accurate than UT's secondary fire coz I could agree with you on that one. I meant that the UT2k4/UT2k3 secondary fire is less accurate than their primary fire counterparts. Anyhow, I always get fragged using it.

10. cole_bie

cole_bie ^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^

The UT2004 minigun alt fire is more accurate then the UT2004 minigun primary.

11. Majik

Majik blargh

No, the secondary fire on the UT2k4 minigun is more accurate than its primary fire, which is why you should use it while firing at a target from long range.

12. Death Cube K

Death Cube K You'll be seeing him alot.

I disagree, the alternative fire to the UT2004 minigun has superior accuracy over the primary fire.

13. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

No it's not. The engine has never been "scrapped and rebuilt". They may hve reworked alot of it's systems but that's not the same as starting over.

Also, the minigun sucks. Hands down. Needler and Stinger beat it out any day of the week.

14. carmatic

carmatic New Member

i disagree on that, because i know that the alternative fire of the ut2k4 minigun has more accuracy than the primary fire

... umm eh?

15. 1337

1337 1337

Yes less effective because there is a delay before it hits, I believe, but still it's spread is a lot smaller and precise

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  16. Death Cube K

Death Cube K You'll be seeing him alot.

That's all well and good, but did you take into account that the alternate fire is actually more accurate then the primary fire?

17. ChampionHyena

ChampionHyena Thank you for not melting!

Geez, you guys have got it all wrong. The primary fire has never been more accurate than the secondary. I have it here on record from EPIC PROGRAMMERS THEMSELVES that the minigun alt fire was built to be more accurate than the primary fire.

You f*ckheads. Jesus.

18. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

Hey.. isn't the secondary more accurate than the primary? ;)

19. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

SECONDARY > PRIMARY!!!!

20. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

First of all - minigun is a hitscan weapon. There is no bullet travel time in either mode. The gun takes a second to warm up and start firing though -so you only take your finger off the trigger if you or your opponent is dead.

Secondary beats primary. As I generaly find out when duelling other minigunners. If they use primary, i'm on secondary I usually win.

Secondary causes more dammage per shot, more accurate, but a lower rate of fire.

Primary has less dammage per round, but more rounds per minute - so overall causes more dammage - as long as you can persuade your opponent to cooperate and stay still.

Secondary is definitely better in any case because it's rumble sounds a lot better.