Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Seeing as a handful of us play games on Steam, I wanted to add those players to my list... if you could give me your handles, I'll get you added.
As for games; I have the following list (in case you want to jump on)

Half-Life 2 (Episode one & two)
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Left 4 Dead

Currently only L4D is installed, but I have no qualms about reinstalling another game if someone wants to coop or frag. ;)

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Handle=TAZTG
HL2, HL2E1, HL2E2, Portal, TF2 & UT3
Haven't got around to the rest of the games..

BTW: Lurk whats your handle??

Last edited:

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Well with a quick tip from Vlad I got steam working. Have UT3 installed... and I figured this would happen, I saw a 50% off deal on L4D and bought it. Seems pretty cool. I'd like to try some co-op sometime. Achievements are a pretty cool thing I guess, it gives you something to try and do that you normally wouldn't think about. Anyway, off to bed... hopefully I won't have any nightmares :p

Handle is buaboney

Last edited:

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
You can go into the Settings/Friends and change your Nickname.
Boney, you show up as jimster88..

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Handle = Lurker_71
Picked up Fallout 3 while I was in Louisville this weekend. :D
Already halfway through the sp campaign in L4D... man I'm diggin' this game! :)

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
Lurk, we need your account name, not your handle.

Didn't we have a thread like this way back when a few of us got the Orange Box?

Mine is jabrumb.

Edit - I've spent more than $25 on clunkers before, so getting something some of the guys are liking for that amount sounded good to me. I went ahead and purchased L4D, too. Not that I'm going to bother installing it yet (but definitely by the end of March). Yes, Boney, it's gonna happen. ;)

Last edited:

VladTepz

Nov 29, 2002
RI
Visit site
I was tempted to get L4D when I saw the advert, it's a fun game, I have it for the 360... just don't know if I can justify it though...

-Vlad

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Well getting the four of us on a co-op would be fun. Taz and I were doing one and kept failing the last part because two jerk-offs joined our game and sucked something terrible. We kicked the one, then the other left and we finished that campaign easily with the two bots.

I like getting an achievment in my head and trying to do it... I've gotten a few that way already. Some of them are tough tho.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Lurk, we need your account name, not your handle.

Didn't we have a thread like this way back when a few of us got the Orange Box?

Mine is jabrumb.

Edit - I've spent more than $25 on clunkers before, so getting something some of the guys are liking for that amount sounded good to me. I went ahead and purchased L4D, too. Not that I'm going to bother installing it yet (but definitely by the end of March). Yes, Boney, it's gonna happen. ;)

I searched for jabrumb and got nothing... I searched for Shattered_steel and got $hattered_$teel.
If you still need my account name tho, it's: _Organgr1nd3r_

VladTepz

Nov 29, 2002
RI
Visit site
Found this on the Steam forums, hope it helps..

CONFIRMED FIX! (and this one is really bizarre.)

========================
A recap
========================
Running my standalone, retail copy of UT3 ran great at a continuous 65-90fps. However, after adding UT3 to the steam games list and launching it via steam, it continually dropped to as low as 28fps. I couldn't find a workaround, so I removed UT3 from the steam games list and went back to just launching it when steam wasn't running. Now that they've allowed you to activate a retail copy of UT3 with steam, I thought I'd give it another shot, but encountered the same problem (ie big overall framerate hit when launching via steam games list.)

========================
How I found the culprit
========================
1. Initially I thought it was some video issue with the shift+tab steam community overlay thing. So I disabled the overlay as suggested in this thread, but that didn't work.

2. I figured it might be steam running in the background gobbling up resources, and tried running steam with low process priority as suggested in this thread, but that didn't work either.

3. Finally, out of curiosity, I decided to see if I could still run UT3 while steam is NOT running (even though I just activated it with steam). So I closed steam, and manually launched "C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\binaries\UT3.exe". When UT3 started loading up, I noticed that it launched the steam client as well. "Well, so much for that idea", I thought... but once UT3 finished loading, it was running as fast as ever (65-90fps continuously)!

The massive framerate hit seems to be related to launching the game through the steam games list! It seems weird, but I've tested it out and the following is 100% reproducable:

A. If steam is running, and I launch UT3.exe manually (by running "C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\binaries\UT3.exe"), the game runs fine.

B. If steam is not running, and I launch UT3.exe manually (by running "C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\binaries\UT3.exe" which, in turn, starts steam), the game runs fine.

C. If steam is running, and I launch UT3 by double-clicking the game in the steam games list, the game runs at the dramatically reduced framerate.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? I thought that when you launch something from the steam games list it just launches the main game executable- is this not the case? Does anyone know what difference it might make if you run a game by launching the executable via windows explorer, as opposed to launching it via the steam games list?

Anyway, there's my workaround... weird, huh?

Just thought I'd post a little update on the issue:

Turns out the in-game FPS drop isn't related to merely launching UT3 from the steam games list.

I only encounter the issue when launching from the steam games list, then *AS* UT3 is booting and the splash image appears on the desktop, I close the steam game list by clicking the "X" icon in the upper right. Also, this only happens with the full games list view, not the minimized games list view. (ie click the left/right arrow buttons in the upper right hand corner of the steam games list to toggle between full & reduced games list.)

Again, weirdly, the bug does not persist if I leave the steam games list up after launching, or if I minimize as UT3 launches (by clicking "_" in the upper right of the games list window).

Again, to clarify (in case anyone is curious =p), you should take the following steps to reproduce the FPS drop:

1. Have the steam games list up in full mode (not the reduced, slimmer steam games list)
2. double click the listing for UT3 to launch it
3. As soon as you see the UT3 splash image appear, hit the "X" icon in the upper right of the steam games list to close it.
4. Join a singleplayer or multiplayer game in UT3
5. Enjoy the reduced framerate! =]

-Vlad

Last edited:

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Good find vlad.

But I found out last night that my computer was running sluggish because I didn't a VERY comprehensive virus scan overnight the night before. Did a reboot and everything is gravy.

On a side note, I did the blood harvest campaign (the last of the four I had to do) and it didn't give me the achievement for beating it??? :( I lso went for the friendly fire thing and freakin francis was the only one that did 1 damage to a team mate. I never saw a bot do FF damage until I didn't do any, dammit.