Steam Open Beta

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid

UnixPimp

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
A complete overhaul of Steam is available as Psst. Don't tell anyone I told you, but Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter is half off ($7.49) until March 2.

Cool.

I have the original version of this game, and I was going to get this game for the Xbox 360, but for $7.49, I may just get the Steam version. I tried the demo on the 360, and it was very, very cool. Same gameplay as the original, but with far superior graphics.

I know this is an Unreal engine based game site, but the Serious Engine may become a player if these guys can get others to use it. I like where Epic has gone with Unreal Engine 3, but ID's Doom 3 (whatever ID Tech they call it) was a disaster for multiplayer. Most Doom 3 based games are just terrible multiplayer games. Laggy and jerky gameplay on all of them. Such a disaster after the Quake 3 engine, which was silky smooth online.
The Serious Engine was OK in co-op online games, and hopefully after serveral years they have improved the online part of this engine.

After all, competition is good and keeps others (hint, hint ID) from getting lazy and stagnant.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Cool.

I have the original version of this game, and I was going to get this game for the Xbox 360, but for $7.49, I may just get the Steam version. I tried the demo on the 360, and it was very, very cool. Same gameplay as the original, but with far superior graphics.

I know this is an Unreal engine based game site, but the Serious Engine may become a player if these guys can get others to use it. I like where Epic has gone with Unreal Engine 3, but ID's Doom 3 (whatever ID Tech they call it) was a disaster for multiplayer. Most Doom 3 based games are just terrible multiplayer games. Laggy and jerky gameplay on all of them. Such a disaster after the Quake 3 engine, which was silky smooth online.
The Serious Engine was OK in co-op online games, and hopefully after serveral years they have improved the online part of this engine.

After all, competition is good and keeps others (hint, hint ID) from getting lazy and stagnant.

That's not true at all....you obviously don't know anything of how Doom or Doom2 plays online. Quake 2 network code was far inferior to Dooms, in Doom everything responds correctly, in quake 2 if you fire rocket while you move your view fast, it will go to last crosshair position where it was like 2 seconds ago. It is not accurate at all and there is a lot of other BS. That never happened in Doom games, no really it didn't.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice you said Doom3, in that case it might be true....

They should be back right now.

They are not.....some users had to go and reinvite friends, I've seen it.

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I like it. Improved functionality in several areas and it looks a bit better - good enough for me!

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
Steam... Xfire... I need a third that will work properly without bugging me :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Guess what? It's an open beta. It's pretty much a given that you are entering at your own risk. I'm sure Valve's happy to find out that users lose friend lists though, gives them stuff to fix before actually releasing.

I am not even sure if he tried the open beta interface....he just lose it during manintenance upgrade and they launched this crap in that time. But meh....

Vakve again screwed up for me, they kept screwing up and I am saying it again and they will keep screwing up over and over again and again and again and again.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
Opted in, and opted out as soon as I could find the settings menu, blank drop down menus aren't very encouraging.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Opted in, and opted out as soon as I could find the settings menu, blank drop down menus aren't very encouraging.

Opted out because i was getting **** download speeds on MW2 after it forced a reinstall, there is no longer an option with the new UI to change your download region...

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Looks nice, I like the move away from IE.
However my last experience with a beta was the new Youtube channels, and I didn't have an embedded video for my channel for a month on there. So I'll wait until they fix the broken stuff here :D

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I think the vast amount of software and services being mass released as "Beta" in the last few years have actually managed to convince many people this means "stable". The same could go with people mistaking "Beta" Demos for actually representing the final product.

ed: Or this could just be a vocal minority of a group that does experience problems that don't realize they are using something for the express purpose of discovering flaws.

Last edited:

BoneofFear

The American Dying Machine
Jul 14, 2004
IN DA CHOPPA!
www.myspace.com
I think the vast amount of software and services being mass released as "Beta" in the last few years have actually managed to convince many people this means "stable". The same could go with people mistaking "Beta" Demos for actually representing the final product.

ed: Or this could just be a vocal minority of a group that does experience problems that don't realize they are using something for the express purpose of discovering flaws.

You've taken the words out of my finger-tips.Now get outta my mind!

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
The best part of this IMO is moving from IE to WebKit for the embedded browser.

So very much this. The store felt a lot more responsive while browsing and it doesn't make the infernal IE clicking noise on each page transition.

Grabbed it last night, poked around and was happy with what I saw. Didn't find any major bugs (aside from some games lacking proper banners in the grid view). Didn't get a chance to try it with any games though. Was able to download the SupCom2 demo without trouble.

Looking forward to when this becomes the new client, but if there's any showstoppers I'm not going to hesitate rolling it back. Although I don't think they're far off from a "release candidate" build of this. It felt fairly polished to me and they launched it with a fair amount of fanfare.

Metaltron

choppin' broccoli
Mar 3, 2009
Santa Cruz
steamcommunity.com
I didn't like it at first, it hogged memory for a while and no compact mode (which is going to be added I'd guess).

performance and the compact view are all I want. Everything else seems to be fine enough. The overlay runs nicer too.