1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

State of the Union speech is tonight [a.k.a. George Bush poops out his mouth]

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tool, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BobCobb

BobCobb Society is a leech on me!

He still has a couple years to pull his presidency out of the ****ter, but I don't see it happening. I wish I was the president, but I'm not part of the oligarchy so I will never get elected.

2. rajput_warrior

rajput_warrior The World's Favorite Flak Monkey

ha that is so true, last year's was ridiculous

3. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

ROFL Angel. I havn't seen something that funny in a few months. Great great.

4. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

Sarcasm 1, tool 0

And I won't remind you about the "worst President ever" discussion we had about Abraham Lincoln.

Oops, I just did.

5. FlashIV

FlashIV King of the Impossible

I've never been good with debate. I have my opinions, but as far as reasonably backing them up, I have a hard time. So here's an article that says what I would have said if I could say it...yeah

Bush Skips Complex Realities in Address

6. Peavey

Peavey Rattus Norvegicus

I really think Jimmy Carter was one of the best things to happen to the US in forever.

7. W0RF

I thought reporters were supposed to report news, not conduct political analysis.

These reporters seem to have skipped the complex reality that the SotU address is little more than a dog-and-pony show where the President offers 500 brand new initiatives in each area of government, proposes legislation on maybe 1 or 2 of them, and submits numerous lines to provoke applause. Not much else. I'm not sure what exactly they were expecting.

Junior congressmen who don't normally get an audience with the president, stake out a spot in the chamber several hours in advance, like a Star Wars fan in a Chewbacca costume, so that they can be one of the people who shakes hands with him coming in and out of the chamber. That's how "American Idol" this whole event has become.
    I keep waiting for the punch line.

8. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I kinda thought the worst President we ever had would be one of the only two ever to be impeached... or Richard Nixon.

9. Iron Archer

Iron Archer Holy ****ing King of Trolls

on that note here's Bill's speeches by year and topic

equal time ;)

10. W0RF

(for the record, as if I haven't said it enough times in the last three years, do not take this to mean I do not favor the "lockbox" mentality. I don't mind optional privatization at the taxpayer's discretion, but I totally support any effort to stop using Social Security funds to offset deficit in the general funds.)
    I'm starting to become confused. Is this a crisis, or isn't it? Does it need saving, or doesn't it? Can it go bankrupt, or can't it? Is it a good thing or a bad thing that retirees get benefits at 80%?

11. BobCobb

Lots of things change in 5 years. And for one you shouldn't believe a word either side says any more. Its best that we liquidate the current government, and start anew.

12. W0RF

This program has not changed THAT drastically. Given Clinton's 1999 statistics and the statistics given on Democrats.org, only about 5 years of solvency have been added. The only difference that I can figure out is who would get the credit, if it's fixed by an (R) guy or a (D) guy.
    I thought that was sort of my point.

13. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Yep. Clinton and Gore were telling us Social Security was going bankrupt and needed to be reformed, and the Republicans said "Not really, maybe a tweak here or there, but it's fine." Then Bush started saying Social Security was going bankrupt and need to be reformed, and the Democrats started screaming about how Bush wants to kill old people and Social Security is fine. How much do you want to bet the next Democrat in the White House will push for reforms? Then the Republicans will block it, until they're back in the White House, when the Dems will block it again. Until finally I'm living in a box wondering what the hell happened, and which flavor of 9Lives I'm going to be eating tonight.

On topic, I don't watch the State of the Union. It's all blahblahblah propaganda, no matter the party in charge. I watched Dirty Jobs instead.

14. BobCobb

Bleh, partisanship as well as the oligarchy our government has become will continue to fsck the country up until a visionary fixes it or we all go down the ****ter.

Indeed.