StarCraft II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
It's good to be playing StarCraft II again. Nothing compares to the feeling you get from sitting all evening, just demolishing people on the ladder. 12/3 win/loss tonight :p

I really think I can get into master's, I just need to play a little more.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
StarCraft 2 is an marvellous game as long as people do not **** it up and know how to play it. I personally love playing LAN, singleplayer and ladder from time to time...

Just Terran up the night! Ehrm...in my case, "For the swarm!", but I don't give a ****, because it rocks!

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I've been having a big craving to play this game again recently. I don't enjoy the competitive element of the 1v1 games, but I enjoyed playing 2v2 a lot in the past.

Anyone in the NA region still play or is down for some relaxing 2v2s with me? :eek:

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'd be interested. Haven't played MP mostly because I don't have anyone to play with these days.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Well I need your name/character code noobs.

Bah, just add me: Sleepyhead / 885

Btw I recently got 2v2 random rank 1 silver league... which obviously means I'm a way better player than Rambowjo. ;)

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Should finally be able to play again in about a week. Been on a vacation, had tough deadlines the month before and now been at my parent's house for a week and a half. Say goodbye routine!

Anyway, pretty confident I'll be out of Gold when I get back into it for a couple of days. I was already playing plats regularly before the quit.

I'm curious how the new ladder maps will play out. So far it seems I'll be rushing on most of em due to the stupid design, but yeah.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Me and my cousin started throwing matches in 2v2 so we can use any strategy and win every game. It's working.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCDH2ab6r3E[/M]

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Hmm, should probably post my name and character code (Trynant , 970).

Although I'm in bronze league and suck fairly majorly. You've been warned.

Do you like,.. make a bunch of randomly placed bunkers around your main and never expand? :D

I seen someone play like that before, when I was practicing my Thor rushing in the BETA days.

He had like 20 bunkers in a circle. Not all filled with marines but that was useless. :D

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Do you like,.. make a bunch of randomly placed bunkers around your main and never expand? :D

I seen someone play like that before, when I was practicing my Thor rushing in the BETA days.

He had like 20 bunkers in a circle. Not all filled with marines but that was useless. :D

....Okay...I'm not that bad :eek:

Main problem is my macro is still shit and I need to keep remembering to make workers.

Fun fact: I actually was winning ladder matches more as random over my race of choice :hmm:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004

I'm not that bad either (usually bunkers in choke points and a triangle formation to funnel things), but I can't focus on multiple bases very well so I don't usually expand as soon as I should in any RTS...

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
....Okay...I'm not that bad :eek:

Main problem is my macro is still shit and I need to keep remembering to make workers.

Fun fact: I actually was winning ladder matches more as random over my race of choice :hmm:

There was a discussion on SCreddit or TL a while back about the advantages of playing random. It appears that random players rarely get cheesed or get race-specific builds used against them because more often than not, you'd have to commit to those builds before you knew what the opponent's race was.
Also, stuff like PvX, the P HAS to start his first pylon at the ramp in case the opponent is Zerg, so he can make a walloff. If the random player is scouted last and isn't Zerg, it creates a situation that can easily be exploited. (Read: Marine/Marauder fucking up your anti-Zerg wall-in).

--

As for macro, two things helped me tremendously:

1. Use hotkeys for EVERYTHING. Use location hotkeys as well. Being able to jump back and forth between bases effortlessly is crucial in maintaining good awareness of your own production. Also, get into a habit of not having your army selected when you don't absolutely need to. Select your units, give them an order and immediately reselect your CC/Nexus/Hatch or Gateways/Barracks, etc. You don't actually have to keep track of all those progress bars if you can see them right in front of you.
2. Don't watch fights. Watch them after the fact, in a replay, if you are wondering how they went down. Macro instead. Sure, don't do stupid stuff like attack moving a bunch of Stalkers into a Siege line, but don't watch the fight unfold.
Perform any necessary micro/positioning, then swap back to base and do your thing there. Check back periodically.

Merely doing those two things will get you so far ahead on most lower-league players, and it will get you in the right strategical mindset as well. Only very few SC2 games are won on micro gimmicks.

edit: Don't take this post to say that I've mastered it or anything. Good macro is still the single most difficult thing for me in SC2 and it shows. However, these two changes alone are probably responsible for leaving bronze and ending up in Gold after a good 3 weeks of serious laddering (currently being placed against plats)

Last edited: