Star Trek: First Contact

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
A page that doesn't exist?
The page exists, the bracket is missing from the hyperlink. Just need to add ) to the URL. Must be a bug in the forums or something.
I know about that game and there were series of screenshots from it too, which were clearly taken in a 1997 build of the engine, 0.87 something. It was one of those games which had the early license but eventually cancelled.
The screenshots I saw contained screenshots of the entire window so you could see the menu and the resolution modes and from these it was clear it was the 97 version taken on.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
There was also Werewolf: The Apocalypse which was canned by Dreamforge and looked lousy anyway.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The werewolf game wasn't started in 96-97 though. There was great deal of unheard or almost unheard games in developement back then though. Emissary was just one of them. Other unreleased games include the circle(this was very close to epic just like wot was, which was the only game that survived the gti part of the cancellation), No Immunity (I believe it was called that way, would need to check again but either this or anoter project eventually "evolved" into a completely different game, no longer on unreal engine, it was "kill*something*", not sure if killzone or killswitch or whatever it was called now) and some others too. Star Trek first contact was one of the cancelled microprose games, along with xcom alliance but that one wasnt cancelled in 1998 and developement continued though it got cancelled on its own.

Also there was a cancelled game headed by Frank Maddin, which started in 1998 though. Believe it was called Maxx Universe and was supposed to be set in a strange world where you would be a "miniature" in oversized environments.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Klingon Honor Guard started 1996 and Deus Ex started 1997 with lots of preproduction and concept work dating to 1994....

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Klingon Honor Guard started 1996 and Deus Ex started 1997 with lots of preproduction and concept work dating to 1994....
Sod off with your arrogant attitude and linking to old dead beat threads which have no relevance (this is like the 10th time i see you doing this, with multiple people and not just me, you must have really big ego issues man and feel in power by linking old/unrelevant threads just to show how one is "ridiculous") apart from you trying to shun me and win argument. KHG was under the microprose publishing deal, thus it doesn't count with the gti license budget cost massive cancellation, which lost way more games than microprose did.
I am not sure if Deus Ex actually started on Unreal engine in 1997 or just early 1998 (more like that actually), concepts don't count because it wasn't on Unreal engine or thought of yet. That's like saying Emissary started in concept in 95 and was initially developed/meant to be specifically on the duke nukem 3d engine, a variant of the build.

And as for KHG I specifially didn't mention it because Ithought it was obvious and because I believe the game utilized the engine poorly despite being in developement for longer at least the final version of the game felt like quake 2 total conversion than a game on unreal engine. The other microprose projects like the first contact game and xcom alliance had much bigger potential.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Besides, KHG is Microprose and as far as Microprose goes, we have already fished that well out (X-COM Apocalypse). I doubt any resources are there any longer.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Besides, KHG is Microprose and as far as Microprose goes, we have already fished that well out (X-COM Apocalypse). I doubt any resources are there any longer.
Apocalypse? You meant Alliance right? Either way, KHG was a different team so it doesn't mean that well is dried out in particular.
We only know the X-Com Alliance well is dry in that regard.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The page exists, the bracket is missing from the hyperlink. Just need to add ) to the URL. Must be a bug in the forums or something.
I know about that game and there were series of screenshots from it too, which were clearly taken in a 1997 build of the engine, 0.87 something. It was one of those games which had the early license but eventually cancelled.
The screenshots I saw contained screenshots of the entire window so you could see the menu and the resolution modes and from these it was clear it was the 97 version taken on.
I remember reading about this game. It looked terrible even back then and I wasn't surprised it got cancelled.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I remember reading about this game. It looked terrible even back then and I wasn't surprised it got cancelled.
The voxel models they were trying to implement did look terrible. But from the big archive of screenshots I saw(about 20 or so), I can't say the same about the areas of the game. Many of the locations seemed very acurrate to the movie and besides all of the old screenshots were taken on 1997 builds of Unreal. There was certainly still room for improvement. Microprose never had really visually rich games I might argue but I think it could have been more interesting game overall than that KHG which felt like quake 2 clone on unreal engine slapped on.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
it could have been more interesting game overall than that KHG which felt like quake 2 clone on unreal engine slapped on.
KHG is awful. The only really good Star Trek based video game I have played was DS9: The Fallen. I have the newer one but I haven't tried it yet.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
KHG is awful. The only really good Star Trek based video game I have played was DS9: The Fallen. I have the newer one but I haven't tried it yet.
Newer one? What game do you mean?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The Star Trek game from 2009 or some based on the Star Trek reboot they did.