1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spiral Knights

Discussion in 'Games' started by Trynant, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7OQRA2kDyE[/m]

Link to the game's official site.

If you like hack and slash games that are free-to-play*, check this game out. Spiral Knights is a free-to-play* MMO that plays like something between Zelda and Gauntlet. You and up to three other players go dungeon crawling wherein you slice, shoot and blast your way to the lower levels.

Cool things about this game.

• It's fun. Really. The fundamental gameplay is ludicrously addicting. It's just fun, fun, fun to slice and dice monsters. So much better than hotkey MMOs and such.
    • It's somewhat hard. Although difficulty varies depending on the level you're sent to, this game is no pushover. Wherein some MMOs are just too damn easy unless you're at endgame raid content; Spiral Knights is out to kick your ass. Developers feed off your delicious tears.
    • The art is pretty neato. Sure, it's cutesy semi-Korean looking anime stuff, but the art is pretty well done and things just are cool to look at.
    • The community doesn't suck. People aren't asses like in, say, WoW. Sure, there are some bad players perhaps, but I have yet to come across a true asshole.
    • It's really fun. Really. It's one of the finest hack-and-slash games I've played.

The catch:
    *Like many free-to-plays, you're limited with what you can do free. See, you have this thing called crystal energy, which you need to spend to do levels or make equipment. You always get 100 crystal energy a day (to put this in perspective a level costs 10 energy to do), and you can spend a variable sum of money (usually a decent amount of money) to buy extra crystal energy. You can spend real money to get more crystal energy, which is where they get you. But yeah, even without paying real money it's still possibly to play this game.

Aside from the catch, this game is awesome. Anyone else tried it yet?

2. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

So is it like Four Swords for PC or is it just hack and slash?

3. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

It's probably more hack-and-slash oriented than Four Swords, but somehow it holds my attention.

Worth a try at least.

4. lovebug

lovebug New Member

Trynant, why are you looking at my butt?

5. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

That was me actually.

6. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

It's not very 'MMO'?

7. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

You could say that. It's all instanced stuff, kind of like Guild Wars. You go down into dungeons in a group of four and collect crafting materials along the way so you can craft better gear.

So it kind of has that MMO-grind aspect (kill monsters to get better gear to kill more monsters etc.), but that's okay because the core gameplay is ****ing amazing.

[​IMG]

8. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

And now for some videos of the game, including the endgame boss.

someone with high-level gear trashing the first few levels
    [m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2bbED8oo0M[/m]

endgame level
    [m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JzoxB42PPw[/m]

boss
    [m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJP3hepM-4[/m]

9. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

I tried it out and I wasn't really impressed. It's like a weak version of Zelda gameplay.

10. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

If you treat it like a puzzle game that Zelda tends to be, then yeah, Spiral Knights will feel kind of weak to that. It's more akin to a Gauntlet in terms of structure. You're fighting more than puzzling. The thing is that the fighting is the real fun part in Spiral Knights where Zelda is more about solving the big dungeon puzzle.

It's kind of like calling Diablo a weak Baldur's Gate.

Although I will admit the game is pretty easy early on; at least, compared to the lower levels (which are **** TON HARD).

11. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

Yes puzzles are more fun in Zelda and the combat in Spiral Knights takes the worst parts of Zelda and made them into a full game. Literally hitting the same button over and over to swing your sword is kind of boring. There is no variation in the combat you just hit **** until it dies with the same attack. Oh wait you can use a gun or a sword. It's still boring due to lack of variety and options in combat. Hell, at least in Zelda games you have all the different secondary weapons and items that do different things in combat.

12. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

I would disagree about combat having no variety. Sure, you click one button to swing your sword, and there are only three types of weapons (swords, guns and bombs), but the meat of the combat isn't doing crazy combos, but in controlling the chaos on the screen. Zelda doesn't throw hordes of monsters at you that can very easily wreck your ****.

So really, I find the combat aspect more engaging than Zelda because unlike Zelda, the combat is hard.

Then again, if you just tried it out, you only did the first tier of dungeon crawling (levels B1 to B8). That's easy mode. It gets brutal later on. Hell, just do the optional challenges in the first tier and see how the game is more than "hit thing 'til it dies."

13. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

My roflbird goes squa squa squa.

14. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

I've started playing it. looks like fun. will try to read more about it...

15. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

I originally got it just for the TF2 hat...

Played about 10 hours so far, and it's great fun. The limited play-time per day is probably a good thing if I'm honest. Stops me getting totally addicted :)

16. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

actually, from the moment you're tier-2, you gain more money from each 'dungeon' than it costs to buy 100 CE. therefore, you are self-sustaining and can even sell your loot in the auction house for extra stuff or more CE.