1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spider Mines [trap]

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by dub, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Poker

Poker Anus Retentus

I try to avoid second guessing the devs' decisions when it comes to game mechanics, but this teammate Avril-locking/stealing "feature" they took the trouble to code in is one case where I'm left scratching my head ... it disrupts the late-locking technique; it accomplishes nothing teamwise that players can't do individually, probably to better effect ... tbh the whole concept defies logic from every angle I can think of.

:stick:

2. WildmouseX

WildmouseX New Member

now how do you expect me to trick noob's into making themselves easy targets with you running around telling them about it?

3. WildmouseX

WildmouseX New Member

[​IMG]

4. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

If you're good enough, you don't need to trick them. They won't hear anything until it's too late. :p

5. Ignotium

Ignotium Que hora es?

Well, that's one way to see it. And other way to see it would be in the case that the target you just shot the AVRiL at went out of sight, and since you tried the late lock approach, now you just have a missile going straight to nowhere, and then a guy from your team that has a different position than yours has a glimpse at the enemy target, lock and hits. Is that so illogic? like seriously?

6. Poker

Poker Anus Retentus

Well I'll admit, just the right scenario, with good coordination amongst teammates hundreds of meters apart, and where any of several other methods of attack aren't more or equally viable ... no, it's not illogical to imagine that. As to how often all of that actually happens, well, in practice it's quite another story.

Now none of this is a huge deal either way, as this avril-sharing mumbo jumbo generally isn't going to affect the outcome of a game. However, I guess my thinking is that, for this "feature" to have a proper use, the implementation would need to be done so that it doesn't disrupt anything else, whereas now, you see far more disruption than actual utilization.

Instead of a simple two-second delay, IMO a more robust approach would have been to make the firing sequence so that after the rocket is away, the primary fire button could be held down to keep the rocket exclusively under the instigator's control, or it could be released at any point thereafter to allow teammates to grab it.

7. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

Quoted for truth.

8. WildmouseX

WildmouseX New Member

there's a difference between needing them to make themselves an easy target so i can kill them - and needing them to make themselves easy targets cuz it's fun to trick people into doing stupid ****. - i needz my fun time

9. LivingPuppet

LivingPuppet Registered Puppet

About the spider mine deployable in its ut3 form, I kinda like it. Even in dm. It just makes you more cautious before entering an area where they are and not to mention that they're very easy to evade or destroy. I don't get killed by them much unless they're devilishly placed or can't get out in time :) The only problem I have with the spidermine is that I think it spawns a bit too quickly after the deployable is depleted and maybe a bit too quickly when the match starts. Apart from that I think its nice and fun.

10. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

Yeah, everyone is clever enough to stay away from the trap, but that's not so easy when it is placed in your node near the spawn points. I have nothing against the deployable itself (although the spiders could be slower and more visible), but it's using it for spawnraping/flag-camping what makes it annoying... If the trap was not allowed to be placed near nodes/flags/spawnzones, no one would be getting massacres and it would still be useful enough... :D

11. Ignotium

Ignotium Que hora es?

+1

12. Dogger

Dogger New Member

I think the best option for this would be that the cicada can see the locks avrils have on vehicles and have the option to right click on them and acquire the target, making a better collaboration with avril weilding foot soilders and vehicles. The way it is now just seems like skanking a point from the person who fires the missile.

13. Plutonia_Experi

Plutonia_Experi New Member

No, sorry guys, I don't believe you...
    I can't believe someone gets "a massacre" using ridiculous spider mines. Are we talking about a server full of novice bots? Are we talking about a retirement house LAN party?
    What kind of servers do you play in?

Spider mines are not even worth the time to drive there to place them, as far as kills are concerned. They are just an annoyance. They are not the weapon of mass destruction you made them out to be.

And you're all talking as they just spawned everywhere. They require STRATEGY of driving a slow-ass vehicle with no attack power whatsoever in the middle of the fight. It takes ages to deploy them, they cannot be deployed in bunches, there are only 2. It adds the strategic component to the game, just look out for the nightshade and don't leave crucial areas unattended.
    Floodgate or Necropolis without spidermines would be boring.

14. Severin

Severin New Member

When I played this game one of the favourate cheap tactics on Floodgate was to place the spider spawner(s) at the enemy's power core then run away and hide. I saw many people getting Massacres using this.

Though tbh I think that the Ut3 Spiders though annoying are a better implementation than 2k4. This is only because the spider launcher could be used to fire the spiders long distances (and had access to too much ammo) allowing the user to swap to shock and have a massive advantage over opponants or just rack up cheap kills from a position of relative saftey.

Idealy if spiders are a must for the game I would like to see a spider launcher with a couple of spiders that could only be placed not fired.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  15. Poker

Poker Anus Retentus

@spiderwhiners - How to clear a trap in seconds without even disturbing a brain cell:

1. aim 0.5m above trap with link secondary
    2. stand 10-20m away on level ground
    3. close eyes, begin firing
    4. wait until scary explodey sounds stop
    5. reload link gun and change into clean pair of shorts
    :eek:

16. Dogger

Dogger New Member

I rather be doing objectives then standing like a gimp shooting at spider mines, which infact disrupts this choice.

17. WildmouseX

WildmouseX New Member

taking out a mine deployer so it doesn't spawn rape your whole team - is in effect an objective that will help your team out... - don't be so rigid in your game play, objectives change all the time. - play the game your in, not the way you think it should be going.

also too, the vanilla game comes with a weapon replacement mut. - you don't like mines, change them to something else.

18. Dogger

Dogger New Member

Why do people who mention things like this always assume that the person they are informing has any administrative access to the servers that dont have these things running.

19. Ignotium

Ignotium Que hora es?

lack of brains?

20. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

People who just stick to offline play 24/7?