Sound lag in Unreal Engine 3 games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bronze

Sep 26, 2010
Hi. I recently put together a new pc.(well a cpu, motherbord and upgraded to win7 actually).

In Unreal Engine 3 games(mass effect 1 and 2, batman arkham asylum), there is always a sound lag at the cutscenes(not in the gameplay). addendum: only sound effects are lagging, speaking voices are ok.

i recently tried bioshock as it uses unreal engine 2.5 and there is no problem whatsoever.

the games are playable of course(as i said, gameplay is fine) but it is ruining the atmopshere and pleasure for me.

Here is my new system:

Asus P7P55D PRO mainborad + onboard audio card (latest drivers)
Intel i5 760 @2.80 ghz
4 gb ram
geforce 8800 gts 512(this was present in my old pc) (latest drivers)
win7 32 bit

my old system:
asus mainbord with onboard audio card again but i forgot the model
Pentium D 2.8 ghz
win xp 32 bit

with my old system i never experienced this problem, any help would be appriciated.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
A lot of times this is an openal problem. You can get a program called ALchemy Universal and see if it helps.

Bronze

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks a lot for the answer. Can you tell me what this program does? I dont know much about hardware or software.

Bronze

Sep 26, 2010
-anyway, i downloaded it but since my onboard audio card is VIA, it does not install it.-

disregard above, i have installed it. trying now.

Last edited:

Bronze

Sep 26, 2010
Damn, it worked! Thank you man, thank you so much. If i wasnt a man i would kiss you.

Bronze

Sep 26, 2010
Me again.

Yesterday that program solved my problem but today there is still sound lag. i uninstalled and after that used ccleaner to clean up registry entries then installed again but nothing.

hell, i installed and uninstalled many times but still the same.

edit: well i tried again and now it works. it looks like its random.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The ALchemy thing fails to initialize sometime for some reason. I'm guessing there is a better solution out there these days (at least I hope so), but that is the only one that ever worked for me when I was having that problem.Theoretically it will happen on any game that uses Bink for it's videos, as the problem lies somewhere between Bink and OpenAL (and doesn't even manifest in the Bink standalone player).