1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sony Licenses Unreal Engine 3

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by W0RF, Jul 21, 2005.

1. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

Trimming down the office pool for the developer last in line to license Unreal Engine 3, Sony announces that it's on the bandwagon. According to Computer and Video Games:

2. UnrealProjects

UnrealProjects "Your Hired!"

3. Yoshiro

Yoshiro New Member

I think Tim Sweeny and Mark Rien have converted one of the offices at Epic to the "money rooom" where they just broke up some of their many millions into 1 dollar bills to roll around in when they get sad.

4. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Epic for teh win! I can't belive how crazy this has gotten. I sure hope they all get huge raises for this. Im sure Midway (if they have anything to do with it) is going nutz over all this. Congrats to Epic for all there hard work, keep it up guys, and NEVER no matter how much they offer you, sell Epic to M$. It's about the people! Anyways, Im so pleased to hear this, as I am a Sony/Epic fan boy. GG

5. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

*corrected*

6. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

Epic were the first to the post with a PS3 engine, and already had successful Unreal titles on the xbox, and have a good fanbase on PC.

They've done what they've been aiming to do for years, establish their engine as the industry standard. Well done to them!

7. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Midway wouldn't have anything to do with Engine licensing, they are, after all, only a game publisher.

8. W0RF

[​IMG]

9. Yoshiro

Yoshiro New Member

Thats them allright!

10. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

*eh* shouldn't you post about companies that have decided not to license UE3 ?
    From the looks of things that would be more newsworthy ;)
    //
    Sad really, because the lack of decent competition may end up hurting us (gamers) ...
    otoh it makes for great job-opportunities if you want to work in the (games)industry.

11. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

Well, I don't know about that... if in the future most games use a standard engine, and Epic forms something of a monopoly in terms of advancing the technology, then games will have to provide exceptional game design instead of pretty technology to make themselves more noticeable. I wouldn't be too surprised if it brings about something of a Golden Age...

Yes, it's been said I'm an optimist. :p

12. W0RF

heh. it might save us some work... ;)
    There's still plenty of engine work going on out there. Bioware still does a lot of their own engine work (I say that, and yet, they picked up a UE3 license to do one of their upcoming games), and their RPGs pwn.

So I don't foresee Epic becoming Microsoft any time soon. Just filthy stinking rich.

13. Majik

Majik blargh

No denying that UE3 looks amazing, but I don't really know if I want to have nearly every game I play utilizing it. I mean I wouldn't mind some diversity even if the engine may be versatile.

14. UnrealProjects

UnrealProjects "Your Hired!"

The only way, may happen is when a new killer game engine with the ease of use or maybe even easier to use than UnrealEngine and with all the bells and whistles you'd ever wanted pops out of nowhere and best of all with a price tag very affordable even to a homeless street gamer..... :rolleyes:

BUT Am sure Epic will swallow them whole... :eek: Just like they did recently with that other very popular game engine whom I believe Frag Ops bought a license from, Reality Engine......

15. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Well the truth is that game design needs to make a comeback, because, frankly, it has been sucking for the past few years (aside froma few games).

The advantage to an engine like UE3 is that you can do anything to it and make it look like whatever you want. Then, the entirety of the development process can be left to gameplay programming and design people, which in the end means better looking and playing games. And ultimately, I think that's what we all want.

16. TomWithTheWeather

TomWithTheWeather Die Paper Robots!

...which they are still fully able to use and develop with. They just don't get updates or further support. Though if they have a few good programmers that understand the various engine systems (and not just simple gameplay scripting), that shouldn't matter too much.

17. Major-Lee-High

Major-Lee-High Im a ranter, ignore me!

lol!

:lol:

Nice to see the uengine getting lotsa love! Hopefully that trickles down to love the modders :p

18. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

Good Modders can end up published...

19. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

It's been 'sucking' ever since publishers discovered that Joe Public (ie : the real casual gamer) would buy any old crap that was sufficiently hyped.
    I think we'll see even more mediocre middle-of-the-road crap being produced instead of better games, because the former makes more than enough money (and if it doesn't they can always blame warez ... ;)).

Sure that's the theory.
    In reality UE3 may be good, but I seriously doubt it can handle all 3d-engine requirements for every possible game. Never mind that up until now at least the UE-games had some pretty demanding system/resource-requirements compared to the rest.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  20. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

To be honest the Unreal Engine is beautifully simple to work with and yet has many complex features tucked away too. It's the perfect engine for game design in my opinion, I've tried editing other games like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 and they really do not compare at all.

Another thing to note is that not all games made with the Unreal Engine will look the same either because of how easy it is to just skip something you don't like (say lighting) and plug in a whole new system to deal with that (like splinter cell did).

The future is rosy, this means less time is going to be spent developing tools and programming engines and more time hopefully will spent on developing and refining our games.