1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sonic Generations is actually kind of good.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Trynant, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

And it's on Steam for like, thirty bucks.

Normally I wouldn't bother with mentioning Sonic, but it seems Sega actually did a good job with the blue hedgehog this time around. Even modern Sonic parts are fun to play.

2. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

I played the PS3 demo last weekend and had an absolute blast with it.
    Visually gorgeous on my 55 inch plasma and the modern run through of Green Hill is very cool indeed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Steam for 30 bucks? What a rip. The RRP of the boxed retail copy is £14.99.

I intend to go to the midnight launch of MW3 in order to pick up a copy when it is released here xD

4. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If I did not like the very first games that were held to such high regard for a reason unbeknowst to me, is there any chance I would like this?

5. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

Yup, playing it on Steam and its pretty awesome. Do get it for PC at 60fps if anything, only 30fps on consoles. As long as you have a decent PC of course. ;)

Sjosz: Its a good, fast paced platformer regardless of whether you liked the originals.

6. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I played it for over an hour last night and had a truly good time with it. There are definitely some classic 2D sections in there, especially if you play with classic Sonic, but it all feels fresh. Even ye olde Green Hill Zone feels brand spanking new and is an absolute blast to play. Saying the game is "kind of" good is really downplaying how much of an improvement this is over other recent Sonic games.

7. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Well Unleashed wasn't THAT bad and I hear people like Colors....

Welp, I can't change the title, so no point in bitching about it now.

And really, "kind of" good is much, much better than recent Sonic games :)

EDIT: And needless to say, you probably want a gamepad.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

Thank you guys for getting me hooked on the game for the past couple weeks... :D

As a fan of the original Sonic games, I just love the Classic Sonic levels. And the Modern version of maps like Green Hill Zone is really nice, though I really need to practice more with Modern Sonic...

The 60 FPS is a much improvement over the 30 FPS which threw me off a bit when playing a PS3 demo and the price is actually a bargin. So yes, PC ports can be better than the console versions! :lol:

My only complaints are the skills selection menus are cumbersome and Modern Sonic really sucks for side scrolling play. Other than that I highly recommend it.

9. ambershee

They kind of cocked up 'Modern Sonic's sidescrolling. It was actually better in Unleashed (actually the 3d Sonic sections in Unleashed were just better full-stop).

10. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Eh, I kind of preferred Sonic Adventure myself. But the Modern Sonic levels in Generations are a far cry better than Colors or STH 06.

11. ambershee

Or Secret Rings, or Black Knight *shudder*.

It's one of the best games so far, because their shitty compulsory 'gimmick' is reintroducing successful gameplay from past games.

The weak part of Generations is that you can complete the story and all levels in under two hours.

12. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

curious thread. curious about the game :)

13. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

I should mention that I actually find the cutscenes to be legitimately funny because of how much the game pokes fun at its franchise and occasionally pulls out some meta-humor. The cutscene right before the final boss made me squeal with joy (even if the final boss battle wasn't as greateriffic).

I actually found modern Sonic to be my favorite iteration of 3D Sonic to date. Even the side-scrolling segments were fun for me; I'm not sure where you all are having problems.

14. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

For me Modern Sonic doesn't seem to jump as high as Classic Sonic and it's hard for me to get him to a platform I want to jump on (I have to switch to Classic to get to the Challage Stages and switch back). And the double jump that makes him dash forward also makes it tricky.

But...for the 3D stages he's really fast and the lock-on targeting when jumping really helps a lot. For those I just have to practice since I haven't really played the Dreamcast or any other 3D Sonic games. But I'd still take Modern Sonic from Generations over those. :D