Somebody make a small program that converts WAV music files to UMX for UT99!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HollowPoint1

Jul 1, 2005
Maryland
Look, make it easy for everyone to put their fav. music groups to UT maps.
I don't know why EPIC or Unreal or whoever made the UNREAL ED ENGINE would not think to include a music converter into UNREAL ED. Not only do I want to make my own maps but I also want to choose and put in my own music selection. This is the one thing they forgot to do!!
So, if their are any small program writers out there PLEASE do everyone a favor and make a small program that converts WAV music files to UMX. PLEASE!!! :rolleyes:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
umx based is off mod music which is a series of small wavs (is a mod actually, w/ a header added). I wouldn't say they (Epic) forgot to anything, mod music was a practical approach in the days of single cd games and dialup. Due to the way mods are made it's impossible to make a quick fix convertor.

Last edited:

-]RONO[-_666

Apr 28, 2004
I'm assuming you dont know how to go at it.
Just convert your wav files (search on the net for such program) into .mod / .s3m / .it etc. (see Ued 2 music browser for supported file types) and you should be able to import it.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
What?
I've never seen an app that converts a wav into a mod. There's nothing to convert really. Mods are similar to midi but instead of using your pc's midi library they use custom wav samples. If you're referring to a tracker, I hardly call that a convertor.

Mychaeel

Well, you can (probably) take an entire .wav file as a single sample and make a mod file that simply plays that one sample.

Of course, the resulting "mod file" will be huge compared to properly made mod files (in the order of 40 MB for a four-minute track) and entirely impractical for distribution with custom maps, especially since it won't compress nearly as well as a map file itself.

-]RONO[-_666

Apr 28, 2004
zynthetic said:
If you're referring to a tracker, I hardly call that a convertor.

Well, actually I was referring to a tracker. Meant to say that instead of "converting".
My bad. :eek: