1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Some U2 E3 alpha shots

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by Leo(T.C.K.), Aug 11, 2009.

1. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

Some U2 E3 alpha shots I taken at E3water map, beacuse it is one of the two maps that doesn't crash here. I edited it a bit in editor: placed more pawns. As you can see there were even rtnp spacemarines. The models look bit bugged ingame though.
    And the AI is very simple for all pawns, in fact when you summon pawns you don't get the AI at all. It was mostly done by U2s scripts, the more complicated things and unless you specify (even blank not existent script file) the script, it will just stay there and do nothing.
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/6a84e03f-9851-41c9-a614-22daa038d03f/U2alphashots

2. Zeji

Zeji New Member

Wow, I had no idea they used the old Space Marines. And are the models in GOLEM format?

3. Leo(T.C.K.)

They are in the u files it seems, the only one outside it is aida model and it is both psk and gem.

There is also interesting araknid mesh, imo better one than the one used in final version.

Btw as attachments you can see tosc and araknid mesh.
    And also note that the map doesn't exist there, I only changed the mapname to iceworld1 to test it because there were iceworld scripts, but it needs to be specified in level info and not by level name itself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  4. Zeji

Zeji New Member

That spider looks cool, but I can see why they changed the Tosc's shape. :lol:

5. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

The splash screen is a lot more awesome than the generic one that we have now.

6. Zeji

Zeji New Member

Can any of the meshes be extracted?

7. Leo(T.C.K.)

I think so...they are VertMesh.
    And EvilEngine converted that alpha skaarj in his UT2004 pack.

8. Zeji

Zeji New Member

I get an invalid array length error when I try to export or view the Seagoat's mesh. I checked the length in a hex editor, and UTPT is off by 1. :hmm:

UCC didn't work, either.

I can't extract the animations, either. The seagoat would have been an awesome invasion monster. :(

EDIT: I replaced a very small amount of the code at the start with the code from the final version of U2. Now UTPT can view scripts without any errors, but Umodel and Wotgreal still can't export the models. :/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  9. Beelzebud (Satanas)

Beelzebud (Satanas) New Member

Hmm I need to dig through some old cd-rs of mine. I know I have this alpha somewhere.

10. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Are those spiders animated by chance, Leo?

11. Leo(T.C.K.)

They are all animated, the models that are in there, yeah. In the shot you see 0 frames in "()", but that is a bug in the editor actually. If you play the animations, they will play just right, the tosc model was shot while performing one animation, as you can see he is not just standing there in the mesh browser, he is running.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  12. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Really great find. The Araknids would be really good replacements for Spinners.
    And Beelz, drop in here if you find something!

13. Rprocyon

Rprocyon New Member

Hey all, just registered due to the seemingly renewed interest in Unreal II. Eitherway, I also have a copy of this alpha for what it's worth :)
    @ Leo(TCK) - That's some cool stuff in the screenshots you posted - a lot of stuff I never really knew you could do in that build (the old Skaarj, etc.). It would be pretty cool if there was some sort of tool for converting some of the maps to standard Unreal II format :)

Eitherway, nice to see all the renewed interest. I hated the final version of the game, but damn it had so much potential!

14. Daewon

Daewon New Member

what is UnrealEd 2.6? What unreal engine uses U2 alpha ?

15. Leo(T.C.K.)

UnrealED 2.6 is earlier version of 3.0 editor, while it was still in developement, together with Unreal Warfare (which is where the splash screens are from), which eventually was cancelled and became what we know as Gears of War, but under new engine, called Unreal Engine 3. Kinda funny, that Unreal Warfare was developed as starting game for Unreal engine 2, yet also starting game for UE3 as Gears of War.

The engine Unreal 2 alpha uses is Unreal 2 engine, very early version, but it still reminds UT in many things, even the Unreal script is written in a way like UT.

16. Daewon

Daewon New Member

aha, well when I looked at those pictures, I see only one map Severnaya, I saw the old photos Sulferon place where is the sand, there were hills and trees .. Why change the environment :rolleyes: , green hills with trees is better..

17. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

They already had green hills environment, back on Sanctuary, and no desert map (since Sirocco was cancelled), so they changed it. At least that's my idea.

18. Leo(T.C.K.)

Yes I took the shots on that map, beacuse it worked well on this system, most of other maps simply crash, unless loaded with editor, and on other systems, different set of maps won't work, sigh.

19. Delacroix

Delacroix Successor of Almarion

Unreal Engine version 697 - it will crash almost every map on Win95/98/ME, but they loaded fine - EVERY SINGLE ONE - on my XP. IDK about Win7, will have to search for the alpha disc somewhere in my stuff...

20. Leo(T.C.K.)

They didn't work even under Windows XP for me, most of them. Actually I can run completelly different set of the maps on Vista than on XP.