Unreal Some help will be appreciated

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

snipetty

Jan 18, 2012
I am trying to learn UnrealScript basically for making, you know, games(!).
But I must say, its hard. I have sufficient knowledge of OOP and I know Java quite well. But this is different. I cannot buy a book named "UnrealScript-the complete reference" and assimilate the full language, all of its pre-defined functions,classes,etc. Most websites that provide a getting started help sections and other tutorials tend to show the basic concepts of the language, the syntax, variable types, modifiers, etc and leave the rest to the learner.
Perhaps thats the way I'm supposed to learn it, but where do I start?!
Theres a truckload of UDK-specific classes, functions that need to be used in different situations, and all such stuff.
I do not ask for any step-by-step help or a complete map of how to progress from a newbie to a pro. I just want someone to point me in the right direction and hopefully I will be able to pick it up after some tinkering. Theres a huge difference in learning a thing from books and something from the web.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
The basics you can get here: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/

Once you get into the basic syntax, you should start to look here as well: http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome.html

The rest, you can look at the UScript source code (use something like ElMuerte's UnCodex to turn them into html, everything connects to eachother, classes, trees, packages, etc), and look at other people's mods.

If you know Java, you will find UScript very very similar. Perhaps one of the most significant differences is that in Java you use setters and getters, while in UScript that's almost not used at all to enhance performance (avoiding the overhead of a function call), and since generally a certain type of class called "Actor" is generally "spawned" (spawn(Class'myactorclass',....); ), you don't have exactly "constructors", you assign the members after the spawn if you have to (at least in UEngine1.x, idk if the same is true in later engines like UEngine3.x/UDK).

Last edited:

snipetty

Jan 18, 2012
Okay!... Thanks for the suggestions. Also, thanks for pointing out that difference between java and uscript. I think I've got a pretty tough time ahead.. probably its going to be fun too. :)
um, just a quick question, i will need unreal tournament 3 , if i wish to look at some mods right?(may sound a noobish question)
I ask this because udk already came with a demo like UT3 game...

Last edited: