Some advices for performance

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Hello

As you figured out when playing, INF 2.9 is a bit more intensive on your system than INF 2.86 was , due to everything has been improved in every way ;)

So after trying several settings , tests , etc, i finally succeeded in improving the performance -on my system- , but if you have trouble in your case give a try folks.

First step
You will have to install the Chris Dohnal OpenGL that is normally installed with INF2.9 , but in some cases (it happened for me), due to your Antivirus function it is possible that only Epic OpenGL is installed instead.
And honestly Epic OpenGL is less performing and less customisable than Chris OGL (but unfortunately it shouldnt work for linux , as chris introduced some window code in it) and has some graphic bugs (fixed by Chris OpenGL)

So go download the version 2.4 in his website
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
and replace the OpenGLdrv.dll that is in your ...\UnrealTournament\System folder by the OpenGLdrv.dll found in the downloaded .zip

Second step
Open the file Infiltration.ini (with notepad/wordpad) in your ...\UnrealTournament\System
Search in that file the line [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] and replace it and all that is under this category (stop at the line [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] do not erase these and what follow these ) by the following

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=0
DetailTextures=True
UseTrilinear=False
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
LODBias=0.000000
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
Translucency=1
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
MaxAnisotropy=1
AlwaysMipmap=False
UsePrecache=True
SupportsLazyTextures=0
UseBGRATextures=True
UseAA=False
NumAASamples=0
AAFilterHint=0
UseTexIdPool=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=True
SinglePassDetail=False
UseDetailAlpha=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
UseCVA=False
UseVertexProgram=False
MaskedTextureHack=True
OneXBlending=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
SwapInterval=1
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
UseSSE=2
BufferClippedActorTris=False
DetailClipping=False
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
ShareLists=False
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
DescFlags=0
Description=
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000

Eventually , to improve performance more , you can change the line up there
LODBias=0.000000 to something higher (not too much as it get really ugly quickly) like LODBias=0.500000
ShinySurfaces=True to ShinySurfaces=False (but it will suppress those nice mirror effects that can be found on some floor)

as a note , if you have problem , you should change
RequestHighResolutionZ=True to RequestHighResolutionZ=False
as some cards (dont know which) doesnt support the feature involved
And about the line
RefreshRate=0
it is used to have UT autodetect your monitor refresh rate, but if for unknown reason UT has problem to autodetect them , put instead of 0 , your monitor actual refresh rate
ex RefreshRate=85 if your monitor is set to 85hz
For more info in what those settings mean, you can read Chris explanations there
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/settings.html

-3rd Step
If you use the OpenGL to play UT , be sure that in the Inflitration.ini file , you have this line exactly (it is near the beginning of the file , under [Engine.Engine] )
GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

-4th Step
Search the category[WinDrv.WindowsClient] in your Infiltration.ini file then the following lines under this category and modify them
ScreenFlashes=True and change it to ScreenFlashes=False (better for the eyes)
Decals=True and change it to Decals=False (decals are realistic and usefull, so do this only in last ressort)
NoFractalAnim=False change it to NoFractalAnim=True (it will stop the animation of the fire and the water , it will just be textures now but you should gain framerates there)

-5th Step
Launch the game , in the main menu go to the SYSTEM options

In the Sound option , set the quality to Low instead of the default High. this can be usefull when you have a bad soundcard or onboard soundchip .
But even if you have a good card, give a try too , as there are a lot of different sound in the firefights , and lowering the quality can give performance.
Maybe disabling the Message Beep can help too for bad soundcards.

In the Video option disable "Use Dynamic Light" if it is enabled, you will gain more framerate.

-6th Step
Eventually , you can always lower the resolution, that help too
And if you are playing in 32 bits color depth , go play in 16 bits color (but it will not look as good of course)

With those advices, you should have more performances back.
there are certainly other things to do , but that is all i can think , so if someone has any other idea on tweaking for INF2.9 , add it :)

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
D3D and this version of the unreal engine are a definite no on my system , so i cant help anyone on D3D + UT engine.
sorry.

Dracil

First Poster of new INF forums
Jan 14, 2000
Taiwan, now in UC Berkeley
I dunno what you did different, but these settings seem much darker than the settings in the common problems thread. Now, which is the "real" colors? :D

Dunno, I may like this one better though, since the other one felt a little too bright.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Dracil said:
I dunno what you did different, but these settings seem much darker than the settings in the common problems thread. Now, which is the "real" colors? :D

Dunno, I may like this one better though, since the other one felt a little too bright.

Dracil, you can change those 2 settings to adjust the brightness

OneXBlending=True
and
GammaOffset=0.000000

The OneXBlending setting was introduced by Chris to fix a problem for some textures that were a bit brighter than the same in Direct3D.
So if you were used and to the old version of this brightness and that you prefer it , just put OneXBlending=False instead.

For the GammaOffset , the higher the brighter, negative number the darker (that in complement too the choice of brightness in the video option or ingame) , but do not put too high number , a simple GammaOffset=1.000000 is very very very bright :)

Crowze said:
EDIT: Also, be aware that you should run the game at the same colour depth that you have your desktop set to.
Yes i forgot to add this, it is a must do , you are right.
As there can be problems if ingame and desktop are in different color depth.

I just hope that someone will tell some D3D tweaks for the people that have a better result in that render , so you will be add it to this common problems topic.

Last edited: