[Söldner : Secret Wars] multiplayer BETA demo is here ...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Forwarning:
The master server is woefully unprepared for the number of players. I wouldn't suggest anyone assume they will be able to play when they have this downloaded. It's pretty much chance that you can create a name and log in while the server is still up. much less download the server list and connect.

During the time I was able to play, it's pretty much OFP, not too different. At least the multiplayer interface is more conventional without making you wait at a black screen for the current half-hour round to finish.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I noticed that as well, so I tried a little one-person lan-game after looking at all the possible outfits for the playermodel (I wish more games had as many choices as this one ).

Even their forums where 404 yesterday ...
I guess no one expected to see this many people trying to play the beta after release yesterday.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Considering how quickly the auth server went down, I believe they expected the audience to be in the 100s and not the obvious 1000s that download each new demo.

It is amazing how often this particular mistake is made, although it hits MMO's much more often.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
*eh* the game hasn't been released ... and the demo is a mere beta.
It's a mp-only demo, so I don't know how good/bad the AI will be.

They definitely have to get rid of the connection-problems. I hope it's just a server-capacity-problem, because anything else and the game is in serious trouble with a mere month or so until release is expected.

Graphics are merely average, some might say below par for today's games.
Think of it as OFP with an attempt at modelling decent trees and some grass for cover and stuff that can be destroyed. It doesn't look like it needs the speed for the eye-candy, altough the playermodels look pretty good.

It uses a money-system with a personal & team-account for vehicles & weapons.
At the start of the game you can't afford more than a single rifle.

It does have iron sights ... but they're very very ugly sprites. There is a different sprite for every weapon.

Jumping is only useful for minor obstacles. Altough you can jump through a window with a nice animation to match.
Sprinting is limited by stamina ...