1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

So you see all these fancy commercials by big energy companies

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacks:Revenge, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

like Exxon, for instance, in which they go on and on about how they're right in the front lines of energy conservation and renewal and leading the way in utilizing new technology to save our planet (blah blah blah blah).

Does anyone buy this crap? Are they actually doing a damn thing?
    If so, why the hell didn't they start 20 years ago?

I guess that's all it takes in this country. Just tell everyone you're doing something and since no one gets off their ass to hold you accountable you can continue doing whatever the hell you want. Having an expensive and flashy ad campaign that uses tons of environmental buzz words must help, too.

/meh

2. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

I find the adverts surprising. They have us by the balls, always will, and we all know it. Why bother making themselves look good?

3. OO7MIKE

OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

They do have us. But Gas sales will only go down from here. It will take a while but it will happen.

How would you feel if you formed an Ice shipping company and then one day some guy invented a refrigerator. Suddenly you would have to adapt to the market and offer something else or face going under.

I remember reading one of the big oil companies was investing in solar and wind technologies until recently when they cut funding and stuck to what they knew. Its too bad.

I think in about 20 years time (I really hope) this gas problem will be a thing of the past.

4. Larkin

Larkin Gone

Not all energy companies are gas people. :rolleyes:

And not all are evil.

5. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

@mike^ Sure they will, but by then the electric companies will have us by the balls ;)

6. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

We've currently got one offering an extended Economy7 time (cheap electric, usaully night/low units). Usaully when something like price hikes or complete tarrif changeovers happen the rest of the industry follow suite sharply.
    Wonder how many will follow this one, and then answer their customers when they ask 'why do this now?'
    Have to get the goverment to bounce all over anything to get stuff done these days :/

7. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

It would be sweet if there were some way to see consumption in real time. Not all of use are electricians or experts in gas. There have been some experiments in Japan and it helped people decrease their overall consumption.

8. ilkman

ilkman The Outcast God

Some on BuF are. :D

9. Jacks:Revenge

well apparently, only about half the energy created in this country ever finds its way to an outlet. something about the inefficiency in our energy grid.

then again I may have just heard that in one of GE's many "let's build a better planet" ad campaigns..................
    see, they just throw all this crap at you and expect you to believe it. and then you start repeating it. it's not like any Joe Schmo is actually going to check.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. SimplyCosmic

SimplyCosmic ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

The big energy companies have been putting out advertisements about how they're innovating for decades.

It's all about getting investors.

11. Zxanphorian

Zxanphorian ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Check out this website that was used in my Geography class: http://www.worldometers.info/ The part that you want to see is in the Energy section.

Although that is "pseudo-real time", it does give a good estimate of what is actually happening. When I saw these figures, they genuinely shocked me. It is staggering that this is happening right now.

12. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

I'm not at all surprised by companies lying in their commercials.

13. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

That would be (Royal Dutch) Shell ...
    AFAIK they are/were also sponsoring (the hydrogen or something fuel-stations for) that electric car they had in Top Gear a while ago. At least I thought I saw a Shell-logo in that clip.

// ---
    One really has to wonder who would want to believe that these companies really have the environment in mind. Especially as they're the same ones that are drilling for oil (and bribing the local governments) in Africa ...

14. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Yeah Shell also gave a bunch of money to the Queen's University Solar Car.

That said "A bunch of money" for a project like that is ~5 digits... compared to the billions they make annually.

Our biggest sponsor while I was there... according to the finance dude... was Hatch (mining firm) and they weren't even 6-digit. Not sure how much of this stuff is in confidence so I can't get into specific numbers of course -- but yeah.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  15. Kazimira

Kazimira Necris Fan

I was lerning about global warming when I was very little. The first term at juniour school was stuff about the enviroment. Only now 20 years down the line is anyone doing anything about it and I dont see how we can sort this in time. It seems we screwd up. The power companies are just trying to patch things up as best they can and takeing advantage of the fad.

16. KaiserWarrior

KaiserWarrior Flyin' High

It would appear you are under the mistaken impression that commercials exist to relay factual information about a company and its products/practices. Marketing has never been, nor will it ever be about this. It has been and remains a vehicle for enticing consumers to purchase a product, through any means possible.

17. Lizard Of Oz

Lizard Of Oz Demented Avenger

"CLEAN" COAL!!!! LOL!

18. Jacks:Revenge

No.

I just find it funny that it's this particular industry putting out these particular commercials.

19. OO7MIKE

OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

Thats totally true. Then they will be the evil ones with their phat cat price hikes.

Time to invest in some solar panels?
    I wish I had the land to do so.

20. OO7MIKE

OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

LOL thats like saying Clean Dirt!