1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

So, is there any way to save this game?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by FuLLBLeeD, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD fart

Before I begin, I want people to know this is a SERIOUS discussion of UT3 and its future. I don't want people just spouting "UT3 sux" and "Epic is gay." I will agree that the majority of damage done to the community is Epic's fault. My question is, is there any way to save this game? Player numbers worldwide are under 500 and get lower everyday. At this point, should we just move on to other games, or, try to save UT?

I think maybe a price drop is in order. When $50 can buy Crysis or Orange Box, there isn't much reason to drop it on a console port with barely anyone playing. UT3 is on Steam now, hopefully that will help.

WarTourist, I know you read the threads, and I would like your input on this. Please help me restore some of my faith in Epic Games.

So, is UT3 doomed? Or is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Discuss.

2. GGA_Nate

GGA_Nate I train people, not dogs.

This topic has been discussed to death. A mod is probably going to close this thread.

3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Yay, another thread we have to watch closely :(

I personally don't think that this UT is doing any worse than previous UTs in player count online. At peak times there are several hundred people playing and at non-peak times there are only a few people playing. The difference is that it seems more noticeably bad now because bots are not counted in the server counts, the gamespy counts, or other counting junk.

4. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

I think UT3 can be saved. Definitely. UT3 has some truly great content and has had some thought put into it. Unfortunately, I think a lot of things were timed badly, one being the release of the game itself.

The first thing to do is to patch the game so we see competitive play again, that is to say UT3 being picked up by WCG, CPL and other worldwide tournament classes. Games that specifically do that tend to pick up a large professional crowd that will play the game endlessly. With that, you will see an increase in numbers.

5. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD fart

Please don't close this thread. I really want this to be a thread were people can actually share ideas and discuss the game's future. Hopefully people won't start flaming.

6. hilo_

hilo_ New Member

Most of the time I check for a duel or ctf game, every server under ~150 ping (and usually most of the other ones) is 0/xx. Warfare has 1 or 2 active servers. Deathmatch might have 5 or so. The online status of this game is abysmal, sadly. I didn't play UT2k4 online much so I can't comment on that but UT99 was way better than UT3 is as far as player count goes.

On topic: Releasing a better demo would help, but I don't think anything short of an expansion/re-release ala UT2k4 can "save" it.

7. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

I really enjoy UT3 I think its well done and has a good feel to it.
    Not being able to play the single player campain though has let it down for me but other than that is good

8. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

CPL? :confused:

Well I would say to promote the game to your friends, dont just give in and say hey I'll play COD4 unless you do actually want to play that game. I think thats much of what happens now with multiplayer gaming people just move in heards to different games. UT just seems to have a bad name to it atm (no clue why) but alot of people I say oh this game is kewl will either go oh yeah I remember UT or nah dont wanna touch it.

The game certainly has alot of potential, I mean TF2 looked dated the day it was released so its only downhill from there. UT3 on the other hand is a good looking game, perhaps not the same as crysis but its hard to judge.

OP: The campaign autosaves for you!

All this game needs is continued support and its fine by me, online player counts suck indeed but stuff what anyone else thinks Im playing UT3 either way!

I wonder why the servers are so quiet, I cant believe its all on timing and I do believe the proliferations of consoles has some part to play in it. Epic dug their own grave on PC for that one, theres even less MSUC talk now as well, so lets hope game design schools do their job otherwise the games industry will be a very quiet place in the future.

I mean tom clancys bugging out and we got hollywood types invading, wont be long now, but hey who cares as long as we are making a quick buck right?

9. MARVO

MARVO I am in this thread.

i rarely have a hard time finding a game online.

10. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

As much as we may hate/like pro-gamers, you have to admit that they do power the gaming side of things in terms of getting people on board.

11. Tweakd

Tweakd Multiplayer notepad ftw!

Well first of all the public server admins (mainly multiplay) need to get their act together and fix their servers. For about 2 weeks now the duel Multiplay servers have been unusable. All they need to do to fix it is update UTComp but they stil have not done it.

I think the game will be fine tbh. It will always have a smaller player count than games like CoD4, but that's sadly just the nature of the game. If Epic get some things working, like client side demos, maybe even UT3 TV, it will help spread the word of the game and maybe entice some people in.

One thing is certain though. I will always be playing.

12. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

What killed UT3 for me gameplay wise, is the way that level design is so cramped and poor for the competitive crowd. UT3 is just about giving the noobs a bunch of random kills.

That's my personal POV.

13. [TT]BrundleFly

[TT]BrundleFly New Member

I don't believe Epic cares anymore if they did in the first place. They will cut their losses on the PC side and be done with us...

14. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

The only way to save the game is to let the community save itself first. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

15. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

This has yet to come out for the X360. Perhaps that version will be much improved and if its mod compatible, it could bring people over to the PC version. The "from the studio that brought you GoW" makes this game's marketing aimed at netting some of the 3+ million who bought GoW etc.

Ofcourse, the Make Something Unreal Mod Competition will have a positive effect on the games longevity. There will proabably be some more bonus packs too. If worst comes to worst, Epic might think of UT2k4ing this games, releasing a super upgraded version in a year with twice the content and fixes/tweaks. They might try squeezing more performance out of the engine to support even lower end machines (perhaps a different renderer with fugly but playable graphics).

Maybe the sp campaign will be made to not suck. All those features they added to GoW2 would have cool application for UT3. The new crowd rendering would be great for bringing back a Invasion/Monsterhunt style gametype :D

The problem with this is that it might break compatability with UTIII PS3 mods...

16. Enfluence

Enfluence I kinda like UT3.

I'd play UT3 on the 360 if Microsoft stopped disallowing user-content...and we all know that map packs will probably cost us money..and the mods and the single maps...and the characters..

17. JEnepas

JEnepas New Member

This thread is about going forward, so for me now, they should release a new demo with a couple of WAR maps ,with pub access just like ONS torlan/pri for ut2004; Floodgate and Onyx C imho, I mean what have they got to lose now?

It failed because it got a bad name at the start and it stuck, unfortunately most(not all) of the respected ut2004 crowd(clan players) hated it, largely because Ut2004 skills were not immediately tansferable with the new movement feel ,vehicles and weapons, yet most felt there wasn't enough new content gametype wise to justify all the changes. When ten noobs read a top player bashing the game saying how this & that sucks, they agree with him and each tell 10 more ...
    All this was compounded by low (by UT standards) game review scores, the consolish UI and online (Gamespy) problems and bugs.

As for Wartourist contributing, I'd say don't let the GOW experience flatter Epic into giving up on the pc platform , Bioshock and the orange box, show there is a big market (just ask Gabe)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  18. dub

dub

I have more questions, rather than answers.

- Has any game ever seen a revival? (of this sort)

- Also, seeing as you are speaking to the public, is there really anything your average Joe can do about the game? Is the responsibility maybe more on Epic than it is on "us"? (mainly because I can't imagine what individuals could do to promote a game - or even get more people to play)

- What kind of steps could you see individuals taking to save the game?

I would hope that there is something that could be done just because the style and looks of the game are pretty nice and would be a shame to go to waste.

19. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

QFT. The community has ruined UT3 far more than Epic has at this point.

20. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I think you're probably right on the money here. Certainly, a Warfare map or VCTF map featuring Necris vehicles might help make a sale to those who complained there was nothing new. VCTF-Necropolis might be a good choice and either WAR-Avalanche or WAR-Downtown (urban themes are quite popular).

In order to reel in those who dismissed it because of the front end (browser problems and odd interface), I think nothing short of a brand new UI would do it for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.