1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

So I only just got round to buying quake4

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TossMonkey, Apr 2, 2006.

1. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

And I got my ass thoroughly handed when I tried my hand at the multiplayer game... I seem to remember, back in the days of yore, not ever being killed once, now I seem to be unable to kill anything at all. Am I old? Or do only the really hardcore play Quake4?

2. igNiTion

igNiTion here

Only the diehard Quake fans really enjoy Quake 4, especially it's multiplayer, so you'll prolly only find the hardcore players in MP.

Single player was alright though, you should have some fun in it.

3. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

I'm a diehard quaker, and the singleplayer is really fun IMO. The multiplay also seems ok but I am just worried that I've gone from asskicking mofo to an MMO playing oldie. I think I've been spoiled on a year of wow and not been getting my daily fragging done.

4. Captain Starbuck

Captain Starbuck Banned

Good for you Quake is an awesom game all though I only play it on the comp cause I don't have enough for an Xbox 360
    And the games are like sixty bucks a piece.
    Your lucky you don't live in an apartment with two roomates.

5. Bean 3:16

Bean 3:16 New Member

What?:confused:

6. DaBeatard

DaBeatard Mr.How

I enjoyed most of the single payer, but never finished it :hmm: I tried to like multi, but I just couldn't get in to it. I don't know if it's the visual style change, but Q4 mp just wasn't that fun for me.

I did like some of it's movement physics vs ut2k4 movement.

Edit: I know gamespy.com/stats doesn't have the the most reliable player stas, but 39th isn't very good. It looks like it is just a small core of devoted players.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  7. MrSmiles

MrSmiles selimsrm

I think MP should have been toned down a bit with the graphics

too much crap on the wall it be nice if it were more like quake 2 or 3 in MP More BSP than Meshes

8. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

Worst... serverbrowser... ever...

9. AizenSA

AizenSA The Divine Tyrant

I tried it the other day also and OMFG those people was crazy on there I mean crazier than the people on CoD2. Its even hard to kill people with a friggin rocket launcher, so in ressponce your not old we all just suck, for Quake4

10. [IsP]KaRnAgE

[IsP]KaRnAgE You Can Be My Wingman

Wow, I totally forgot Q4 even had mp in it. Do a sizable amount of people play it? Is it meant to be a successor to the other quake multiplayer games, or is it just Q4mp?

11. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

I bought Quake 4 primarily for the single player and i wasnt dissappointed. MP kinda sucks because some of the map remakes, as well as the new ones, are no better looking than some newer games out there and it still runs like ass. MP is fun, just cant be bothered with the performance.

12. AizenSA

its a pretty decent amount I mean I wouldnt compare it to UT2k4 though but still enough people.

on that note just going off topic a bit, has anybody played FEAR online yet I want to know what its like before I go anywhere with it.

13. Capt.Toilet

Yeah i played the beta. I liked it even though i never touched it when the game went retail. Again i bought this one for its single player though. The multiplayer boils down to whoever can aim and has the most health packs. Someone with no health packs to use will die in seconds, and i do mean seconds. It is good fun carnage though.

EDIT: FEAR multi maps do look better graphic wise than Q4 and they run better too. Just shows that the maps in Q4 arent optimized or the engine is a piece of junk.

14. AizenSA

ahhh i see very intresting so there is really no chance you can stealth kill people like sneaking around, have squads to help you and such.

15. Capt.Toilet

No none of that. Well yeah you can stealth kill but its very rare unless you plan to have a 1v1 or 2v2 server. Its mostly DM and CTF.

16. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I enjoyed Q4 singleplayer, and I was one of the few fortunate ones that hadn't been spoiled on the plot twist which came as a nice surprise.

It didn't really run well on my radeon 9600, but I got it cheap, about $20 usd for quake 4 + doom 3 expansion.
    I tried multi and the changes they made in relation to Q3 were just so minute that I personally wasn't able to see the improvement. Someone told me how awesome crouchjumping now was and how it changed everything, but considering Q3 runs better on my rig and is more established as an MP game, I don't see a reason to move to Q4. Not that I played Q3 a lot to begin with anyway.

17. discreet

discreet i love lamp.

coming from a hardcore quake 3 player, i couldn't get into quake 4 online. i tried and played for a couple of months, but it was just not as good. quake 3 was just way better.

i understand that quake 3 wasn't exactly perfect out of the box, but quake 4 had so many bugs, problems, and performance issues that just don't fly anymore. i heard it got patched though, i might check it out and see if it got better.

the single player was great though.

18. AizenSA

well that kind of sucks I like doing team stuff and sneaking around. If I want an all out war I'll go with UT series and CoD2

19. Synastren

Synastren Explodious!

It feels very similar to Q3; almost identical, with a few different weapons.
    I have it for the 360, and that's all I've played it on (as my computer sucks), so I don't know how it is on the computer.

20. BarneyGumball

BarneyGumball Just Another User

One of the best single player games out there...

never got to play online (yeah i had a cracked version)