So about these iron sights...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
I have a couple of questions as to how the iron sights will function in game.

Do you have any mechanisms to simulate the fact that sights need to be aligned properly to be effective?

Also no one is rock-steady when aiming how will this be simulated?

Last and related to the above question will the players stance affect aiming?

If I could get the consistent sight picture and steadiness in real life as depicted in another UT "realism" mod I'd be on the Olympic Shooting Team bringing home the golds:)

BTW would a small demo movie showing the sights in action be within the realm of possibility?

butto

Red Orchestra Coder
It isn't that easy to accurately reflect jittering while aiming, but it will looked into at a later time. Accuracy when firing does vary depending on position (how much depends on the weapon). Larger weapons see a more significant accuracy improvement in more supportive positions such as kneeling or prone. All weapons have highly degraded accuracy while jogging or moving. All weapons also have a little accuracy improvement when fired from the shoulder position because of the added support for the weapon.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
Well I know Infiltration has some weapons movement and Nights Edge has too much. So that much is possible with UT. I assumed you guys would do something similiar considering your focus on realism.

About the only thing I've seen that faked sight alignment was the conefire that shrunk over time in Ghost Recon.

butto

Red Orchestra Coder
At the moment, the recoil effects of firing are reflected by view shaking. The equivlant to a hit cone is used to determine the accuracy of a particular shot. That factor varies with movement and position. You also have to deal with the fact that bullets have speed and are affected by air resistance, wind, and gravity realistically (based on real formulas). Targets will be more difficult to hit at longer ranges without taking those factors into account, though it matters little at shorter ranges.

We elected against the moving weapons of INF because you would normally look exactly where the gun is aiming, not off to the side at all.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
So the iron sights are basically a cosmetic feature to aid in suspension of disbelief then? And the real "nuts and bolts" will be in each weapons code.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
First I'm not going to make any kind of judgements til I actually play the game. But....

"Well, the reasoning for using sights is that it makes the game less point and click when you just take out the crosshair."

I fail to see how that would be case. If I understand the descriptions you've provided the weapons would work the same even if you still used the standard UT crosshair. The only difference I see is that the crosshair now looks different and obstructs a portion of your view. Thats what I mean by simply cosmetic.

"It feels as much "real" as Inf's sights."

IMHO they don't feel very real but thats Sentry Studio's problem and has nothing to do with this mod.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
The sights are only one small part of the whole and certainly look a lot better than a little green crosshair.

Now wind has been mentioned a couple of times. Is this something that will be set by the mapper or server? And will it be fixed or have some kind of randomization? For example will a mapper be able to designate one edge of the map North and say give the map a 10mph wind from the SE? Or will it be possible to set a range of directions and speeds? And I'm assuming there will be some type of indicator or how will the player know what adjustments to make?

vee

Mapah
Jun 23, 2001
Finland
www.planetunreal.com
Right now, mappers have option to decide wind direction and general wind speed like breezy, light, strong and so fort. Code will then randomize wind under those settings if I am right. Indicator for wind speed is there.

V

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
Thats a major improvement over anything thats been done for any of the other UT mods.

You've mentioned you have some kind of system to simulate ballistics. So will damage vary based on range? Obviously it will matter less for rifles but for pistol caliber weapons a 100 yards makes a lot of difference.

btm

Rifleman
Oct 31, 2001
Michigan, U.S.A.
www.planetunreal.com
Yes, we are implementing ballistics calculations to simulate projectile behavior. These calculations use "real world" formulas, so bullet performance will be as close to what you would encounter in real life as the UT engine will allow.

As for damage, that is something we will look into. For now, I can say with confidence that, as in real life, it will be damned hard to hit any target over 50 yards away with ANY pistol-based cartridge (note that submachineguns use pistol cartridges).

butto

Red Orchestra Coder
It was decided not to vary damage based on range because that causes problems with sniping and stuff and never comes into play at the ranges people will be engaging at. A rifle bullet travelling at 2800 FPS will cause just as much havoc as a rifle bullet travelling at 1500 FPS.