1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sneaking/Adding more stealth elements.

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by cracwhore, Apr 1, 2004.

1. NTKB

NTKB Banned

I dont want a silent reload. If its loud in real life it should be loud in the game.

2. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

NT, go soak some corks.

The stealth reload thing isn't that unrealistic. If a gun doesn't allow it in real life, then don't do it. Simple. However, I'm saying that there are ways to load a pistol (and I imagine a few rifles) so that you are almost completely silent. There are ways to prime a nade that are completely silent. It would be extremely helpful to do things like that. Of course, they could take a lot longer, but the reward is, you don't give away your position. If 3-6 guys walk past you and you're not visible, you have to reload and the only thing standing between your death is the fact that you're silent and hiding in a bush...I think it would be realistic to be able to slowly reload your weapons so that it doesn't make any audible sounds. INF can't be 100% true to life obviously, but I believe a stealth reload option for whatever weapons are capable of it would be a viable option.

New version suggestions baby. Keep the ideas flowing, as long as they aren't CS ideas.

3. {GD}SolidSnake

{GD}SolidSnake NT apprentice

ITS GENIUS!!!! I thank crackwhore to have guts posting this kinda stuff. This game is called infiltration right????. The name of the game wanted me to play in the first place but then I found out that too many things mess up stealth. I would like to add in some stuff also.

First of all there has to be up and down sides to being a more stealthier opponent,
    (I will think a few ideas[simple ideas that should not take alot of coding to do])

to make a good purpose for having a light loadout is that you should not make alot of noise since theres not much bulk. Like SolidSnake's suit for example, Theres not much to slow him down but a few pouches and a pistol holster(SolidSnake has also high tech boots to make him run like crazy and still make no sound but thats not the point =D). On the other side, running with a heavy load should just make the noise as it is right now(Stomping feet,and so on). I would say that running with a light loadout should make reduced noises on everything(catwalks,sand,snow,etc), should be only heard in a fair distance(I'm too young and feeble minded to calculate the radius of the person hearing another person[with light loadout]) but of course it should be more silent than it is right now. It shouldn't be that hard to code more silence with a light loadout is it?

One thing also, you cannot really use stealthy infiltration methods like the real SolidSnake so forget about it , once you enter a game. The enemy automaticlly is automaticly aware of your presence. For example

Genome Soldier 1 says: **** you man thats the last beer!
    Genome Soldier 2 says: First come first serve sucka
    {GD}SolidSnake joins the game
    both Genome Soldiers says:**** ENEMY HOSTILES IN THE AREA REQUESTING BACKUP
    *evaision mode begins(clearing mode) forever untill the end of the game*

See thats the reason why stealth isn't a good way to go. Enemies working in teams defending(hopefully all the time) will check every possible area you will go through. Stealth is difficult for the average minded people.

Also another gay thing with stealth is it's so easy to spot when you crouch on a bush. I mean its not even a bush at all! Its stupid paper you can go through.

Last Idea for stealth:
    Its so stupid when you shoot an enemy far away from a wall and still bloodstains will appear on the wall. Even when your shooting a different angle not point at the wall, bloodstains will still appear. It shouldn't be so hard on the coding to fix that.

Also, I dont care about how silent people walk in the game. It is almost impossible to silently knife an opponent/walk pass by opponent/infiltrate while walking, Its too slow. We need more silent running.

Last thing I have to say is that I get killed alot reloading the mp5 because I was not using my head(the mp5 is what I mainly used since I started playing). There should be some option to make reloading a little more silent but it would take alot longer to reload,like holding the reload button but when you let go it will go to normal speed reloading.

4. Logan6

Logan6 TC Vet

Though I feel like my character is a little stiff sometimes in the game, I don't see how you can be that silent in Combat Boots with 50 pounds or over of equipment on you. If you want a silent mode, maybe there should be an option of shorts, T-shirt, barefeet, and a knife. Now that would be silent.

5. Logan6

Logan6 TC Vet

Hmm, have to watch how fast they can reload next time on StarGate.

6. Logan6

Logan6 TC Vet

Well, I don't know about any other weapons reload sounds but the AKM. However, on my AKM, if I let the bolt fly home, you could probably hear it a quarter mile away. Its pretty loud. But if I try to ease it down quietly, theres a chance its not going to lock the bolt correctly and that could be pretty bad when you try to fire it. Maybe there should be a mode for a quiter locking of the bolt, but there should also be a good chance of a jam / misfire / even explosion. I mean there is a reason you let the bolt fly home.

7. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

:eek:

There's something you haven't understood yet, logan... I let you guess what it is. :con:

8. Nadebait

Nadebait New Member

I believe stealth should be based on bulk, the more grenades and ammo and weapons you carry the more things that make noise. Sprinting with more than 10 objects should be louder than if you carried just a pistol and some clips.

9. Lt.

Lt. Elitist bastard

good idea about noise being based on bulk, but why not take it one step further? I mean, we are talking about a modern engine right?

Why not have each item have a carry sound?

it may be difficult to obtain the recordings but i think the sound of a nade bouncing around on my webbing would be a handything to have.
    for every item i have on my INFperson, holstered pistol, 3 nades, a smoke-can, there could be a sound.
    sure these sounds could be scaled louder or softer by bulk/movemode, but i think the importaint thing is that 3 nades should make more racket then 1.

on a somewhat related note, i think that a jump/cammo smock would be nice.
    with coveralls you could stuff empty clips, spoons/pins, etc into the nice roomy pockets when you hit the "stealth" button.

rather then totally throwing your dry mags to the ground, like you *want* to be found.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  10. {GD}SolidSnake

{GD}SolidSnake NT apprentice

Naw, storing clips is too metal gear of an idea. This is suppose to be a tactical squad/ shooter/warfare kinda game. Too much stealth elements will mess it up. Stealth button? Too metal gear.

11. Lt.

Lt. Elitist bastard

hey, you're the one that mentioned a slow, silent reload function.

it would be nice to have the option to pocket the dry mag, tho its not really an issue for me, i dont think i have ever been killed reloading the SIG or M4.
    (its still war. not like we're talkin about pocketing brass :rolleyes: )

12. Captain Colon

Captain Colon New Member

I think if you want stealth the first thing to do is change the lighting system it actually uses light levels to figure out if you glow in a dark area, instead of rolling a dice.