1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sneak Peek...

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by ecale3, Jan 22, 2004.

1. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

Hmm... you appear to have listed a link to a restricted forum to simply torture us. You cruel cruel man.

-M14 with irons and 1 shot kill *wets himself thinking about it.

2. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

Needs wood.

Also, I seriously suggest you take a look here ([​IMG]) at how to do plastics better. That skin really doesn't look very good, in all honesty.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  3. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

actually, i have gone to that skinning site (and seen some other tuts) in recent times and i assure you that next time you wont be seeing a texture that looks like that.

and wood isnt happening.

4. Bushwack

Bushwack Avenged Sevenfold...

its a DMR guys, which means DESIGNATED MARKSMAN RIFLE, the stocks are fiberglass since it requires it to be as such to aid in embedding the barrel in the stock enhancing accuracy, and weight reduction.

5. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

Yeah, we realize what material it is - the skin is just off. It looks flat.

The color isn't right. It should be more of a 'dark olive green' type color. The 'wood' (aka, brown plastic) should also be a darker shade. Everything seems like it's just too bright - that seems to be the biggest problem really...

Attached Files:

6. Arethusa

Oh, I know it's DMR.

Needs more wood, though. 'S not pretty 'nough.

Anyway, about the skin, though if Doc J's been checking out enin's site, he probably already knows all this: highlights are all wrong, lighting isn't right, and base texture and scratches are too flat. Give that the model doesn't look bad at all from what I can see, I think it's worth going back and redoing the skin to do it justice. On a similar note, I feel the same way about the 93R, as it share many of the same flaws, and I think this is only more apparent now after the release of the MP5A2 as a demonstration of just how good you can manage to make a model look while still inside craptacular UT99.

7. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

ill go fiddle a little with the highlights and shadows, but other than that im not planning to do too much with it. better textures will happen next time i skin.

8. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Just to give you some more to moan about...

Here a quick view of the M24. I have just finished retouching the model to have it reproduce the real thing with a little more accuracy.

Attached Files:

9. sir_edmond

sir_edmond In my own world

Geo, is the m24 gonna have ironsights or will it be scope only, cause i remember someone doing the iron sights for it?

10. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

I think it looks great. But crac is right, the skin would look better if it was darker and more olive drab color.

Any chance of seeing an Aimpoint Comp M2 (M68) sight for it? cuz that would totally kick ass (*envisions Delta sniper in BHD).

11. Arethusa

Shughart's M14 was not the synthetic stocked DMR.

Needs wood.

12. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

They didn't have the specific Aimpoint M2 model back in 1993 :p

13. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

good job! can someone post lot of pictures of the KALASHNIKOV !

14. - Lich -

- Lich - New Member

I hope we NEVER EVER get an ironsighted one shot one kill weapon ingame. I have played one once...kills the whole game.

15. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

shootgun, at close range ;) . i agree

16. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

You guys are really trying to give the modders a hard time ... it's allright to mention glitches or point out possible refinements, but don't try to insist on it. If somebody just wants to share his trainingpiece, what's wrong with that?

The INF mod Team is quite brave to keep coming back here just to get their work ripped apart :mad:

In the end its also a matter of efficiency: if they spent 3 times longer on anything, there will be just a third of possible additions in the same period of time...

17. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

Again, we're not really given them a hard time. We're just pointing things out that appear to be incorrect. Things like the 'flat-top' rail on the new MP5 instead of the 'claw' mount (something I've never heard of in all of my life). If you're not going to judge these weapons based on their accuracy to their real life counterpart, then I believe you have less of a right to comment than we do.

We're not saying that the mod team doesn't have talent - it's just that nobody but myself and a few others ever have the sense to point something out. Most people just say 'looks awesome! w00t!' Well, I guess you forgot what being an INF community member was all about - being a picky *******.

Right now, the skin looks completely artificial and the gun resembles a crayon. Sorry, it just does. If Dr. J doesn't want to change it, that's his call. However, myself (and at least two others so far) think the skin is off and would appreciate the added effort to make it better.

Since INF models have to be low-poly, the only way they can look decent is by the skin quality. And after seeing some of their other efforts, I can say (in complete confidence) that this skin is not up to par with the rest of the pack. However, just darkening the skin would make a world of difference - as would fixing the lighting on the skin.

If there's a rule that says we can't comment, please, by all means, point it out.

Anyway, good luck with the weapons.

18. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

Ok, I'm probably a little too sensitive this time, I just remember your and demos reaction after the 1st release with a sour aftertaste. It's allright as long as it doesn't get nasty.

I don't judge on the models because I simply don't have a clue about the guns IRL and I don't claim to have. I'm glad they do what they do and share it with us. Making them regret investing time and passion is the least thing I'd like to see.

I just realise that Kowalsky who did most of the texturing in the past (if not all) takes a break and now Dr. J does the job. People should keep that in mind and don't measure everything to the best model ever done.

19. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

kows actually resigned - real life obligations. so youd all better hope that bushwack, vahlemon and i get good at photoshop.

20. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Everyone has exactly the same right to comment. Whether we do anything about it is our own decision. You can hardly say the MP5A2 rail is wrong, it's just different. Also bear in mind that these are renders, so in game they could look quite different.